Possibly Switching to WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graven Pshya

May 15, 2013
Visit site
920 is a good choice! There are some new Windows Phones coming out soon, so if you don't mind the wait; you could do some research into those.

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
First watch some videos online for the Lumia, there are dozens, then go to a store and play with one.

Its a total different software and phone, I was with a gs3 and I don't regret 😉

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My experience with the 920 has been near faultless, certainly better than the teething troubles colleagues of mine are having after swapping their iPhones for the GS4s.

Nokia provide a lot of help with getting your data onto your new device and the integration between Windows Phone and Microsoft cloud services is a delight.

You may miss certain features you're used to or find you can't use the Lumia in the way you're used to, but this is culture shock. Be open to a different way of doing things and you will find Windows Phone to have answers more elegant and efficient than clumsy old Android and you will find that you guess at the right answer when doing something new.

Windows Phone is a 'happy' operating system that responds very well. I'll never forget the first time I switched to landscape from portrait in the camera and the little icons at the bottom of the screen rotated in response; it still makes me smile. There are a hundred little things like that that show Windows Phone is well thought out.

As for the 920 itself, its a big phone but easy to handle because it's uncluttered. Get a belt pouch and it won't intrude.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Android user here who recently went back to windows phone. There are apps which I need on android so I kept it but my main phone now is my Lumia 920. Not at all regretting it when I got it. It's a very good and sturdy phone.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Last edited:

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
well, if you're open minded to different OS, then i guess you gonna like WP!

i'm also a former Android user and it impressed me how much i didn't miss it lol

since i don't care about Instagram i was able to find apps for all my needs! even a nice 3rd party Pinterest client - yay!

ofc you might have different needs, but still give it a shot! search the Store and see if you can find all the apps you need, if not the official, we have some good 3rd party alternatives!

and if you care about Instagram, there's Instance :D

just make sure you researched a lot about the OS before and that it has the most basic stuff and apps you need! remember, it's all about choosing what suits you best, but i think WP won't let you down :)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
i guess a good question to answer is "why are you wanting to switch?"

This will help people assist in answering more specifically to the general question

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Formerly a die hard Android user until April of last year. I've also used the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Switched for the Lumia 900. At first, I missed some apps, but I've found others that do the same if not better. It's smooth and is a perfect combination of the reliability of iOS without the boring interface, and with more customizations. Plus, it's more reliable than Android and I don't have to pop out my battery or run into force closes like I did on my Android phones (and I only had high end Android devices).

To me, this phone is the cat's meow. I just hope others use try it out and see why they should switch. I think more iPhone people would switch, but when your main driver is the amount of apps, well, that just shows that you need an app to do everything and you have to open an app to see information vs. viewing it on a live tile. That alone would have been reason enough for me to switch.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Formerly a die hard Android user until April of last year. I've also used the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. Switched for the Lumia 900. At first, I missed some apps, but I've found others that do the same if not better. It's smooth and is a perfect combination of the reliability of iOS without the boring interface, and with more customizations. Plus, it's more reliable than Android and I don't have to pop out my battery or run into force closes like I did on my Android phones (and I only had high end Android devices).

To me, this phone is the cat's meow. I just hope others use try it out and see why they should switch. I think more iPhone people would switch, but when your main driver is the amount of apps, well, that just shows that you need an app to do everything and you have to open an app to see information vs. viewing it on a live tile. That alone would have been reason enough for me to switch.

It's smooth and is a perfect combination of the reliability of iOS without the boring interface, and with more customizations.

Nothing against WP8 in general (I use a Lumia 920 myself and like it) - BUT:

- Reliability? Have you read the forum posts here? I've never had an OS that was that unreliable before (with the exception of BB10, perhaps). I can't even use my Lumia as an alarm clock because one out of four times it'll crash in the middle of the night. It crashes after / during using Bluetooth in my car, it reboots after phone calls (perhaps 2-3 times per week). Apart from the stability issues, it also doesn't have very good battery life. It's ok if I do a reboot after every re-charge and it'll mostly last a day - but both the iPhone 5 and the HTC One do much better in this respect.

- And as for the interface: yes, iOS is very boring. But the customization capabilities of WP8 are very limited as well. You can change a couple of tiles, that's it.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

- Reliability? Have you read the forum posts here? I've never had an OS that was that unreliable before (with the exception of BB10, perhaps). I can't even use my Lumia as an alarm clock because one out of four times it'll crash in the middle of the night. It crashes after / during using Bluetooth in my car, it reboots after phone calls (perhaps 2-3 times per week). Apart from the stability issues, it also doesn't have very good battery life. It's ok if I do a reboot after every re-charge and it'll mostly last a day - but both the iPhone 5 and the HTC One do much better in this respect.

- And as for the interface: yes, iOS is very boring. But the customization capabilities of WP8 are very limited as well. You can change a couple of tiles, that's it.

You really should cash in on a warranty because your device is faulty.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

only because you are having a bad experience it doesn't mean other people experience the same... I mean, try to use the warranty... because if the phone crashed so much as you say, im sure NONE would say anything good about it or people specially in WPCentral would be complaining in every thread about how it crashes, I have read abotu some people having trouble but its technology I hear the same from iphone users and android ones... so its not like its unique to Nokia phones, because technology fails a lot.
but yeah its a faulty phone the one you got, not the OS, and then you can blame Nokia for your bad experience. WP OS works fine, not like its the most perfect OS, but it works fine on my side! and you should next time realize its not normal for it to reboot so much so you should get your phone changed.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Your post is ridiculous.

If your device is this unreliable, you should have exchanged it under warranty as it's clearly faulty.

The customisation of the start screen is extensive as every tile can be resized or unpinned completely, allowing the user to have only what they want on the screen and arrange it exactly as they wish. Whatsmore many apps, such as weather or podcasting apps allow you to pin individual locations or podcasts directly to the start screen.

Don't waste people's time.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Hardly unreliable..... The lumia 820 and 620 my parents use are working without trouble from day 1. Not a single crash, hang, or spontaneous restart etc.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Your post is ridiculous.

If your device is this unreliable, you should have exchanged it under warranty as it's clearly faulty.

The customisation of the start screen is extensive as every tile can be resized or unpinned completely, allowing the user to have only what they want on the screen and arrange it exactly as they wish. Whatsmore many apps, such as weather or podcasting apps allow you to pin individual locations or podcasts directly to the start screen.

Don't waste people's time.

I'm on my fourth 920 - all of them were equally unreliable. My wife's does the same. The entire forum here is littered with reports of reboots, crashes and battery issues - please don't be ridiculous.

Moving around tiles isn't what I call customizability, sorry. Have you ever used an Android device?

Again, I like my Lumia to the point that I've stuck with Nokia for over 6 months now despite the issues. Let's not slip into ******-lingo here.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Im currently with att and have a note 2.

Im tossing around the idea of switching to wp8 and getting a lumia 920.

any advice?

Thanks

Hard call and I'm actually hoping by the Fall that Nokia comes out with a Windows Phone Phablet similar to the Note. That would be the best of both worlds. I've been tossing around the idea of getting a Note but every time I really think about it, I have no desire to go back to Android. It gives you a lot but I just don't like constantly fighting with it. There is simply no way to insure that everything runs perfectly on every single Android device out there. This is why iOS and Windows will have a leg up in that regard. Certainly there are features and apps I'd like to see with this phone but at least I can say that it always works smoothly and quickly. With Android you are constantly fighting the battle of apps run amuk which is the nature of an open architecture I think. So, while you may not get "everything" you're used to with Android, you will get a phone that runs really well and which offers the clean, fresh and innovative style of Live Tiles.

Oh, and for the record. I have had NO problems with my 920. It works flawlessly. See for yourself. If you have issues, you still have the buyers remorse period to return it. I don't know what that other person was saying because I see very few posts referring to the reliability of the phone. Any negative comments usually concerns features not being there or apps not being available - hardly an unreliable phone.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my fourth 920 - all of them were equally unreliable. My wife's does the same. The entire forum here is littered with reports of reboots, crashes and battery issues - please don't be ridiculous.

Moving around tiles isn't what I call customizability, sorry. Have you ever used an Android device?

Again, I like my Lumia to the point that I've stuck with Nokia for over 6 months now despite the issues. Let's not slip into ******-lingo here.

You'r the only one to mention 'crashing, reboot' issues...i have no clue what you're referring to with "littered with reports". Sure I've got an inconsistent battery, im not gonna deny it...i wish the battery was more similar from day to day. However, im extremely picky and expect my battery to last 2 days on a single charge...im getting a full days use (which is actually considered normal). I wonder whos the being the "Ridiculous" one here.

How you modify your tiles and the start screen is considered customizable. Its not like there's a widget for EVERY SINGLE application on Android, so although theres a level of customization i wish we had on WP8 (such as mgmt tools for battery/profile ringtones/etc) i am very happy to be without having to run a "task Killer" and anti-virus on my PHONE. I dealt with this on my GS3 and it was HORRIBLE...i want a phone, get my information i want, interact and go on about my day...not deal with constant freezes, battery pulling, lag from keyboard typing. Android and Windows are completely different, and theres a reason for it...they are made for different crowds of people. I've got a Nexus 7, its a cool device to play games and surf the web...but for a phone no thanks, i cant see myself going back to android for a LONG WHILE.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre