Is it really that bad?

damule6666

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
On my 3rd.. And I think the fact that the users (myself included) are getting replacement 928's even after one or more problematic devices and not jumping ship to a different device speaks volumes about this phone. If my 3rd goes wonky I will be getting a 4th.. And I think that says all that needs saying about the 928.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Good luck, then!

Just try not to have luck as bad as a certain member who had to return his 928 seven times.

That would be me. :cry:

I have to believe that seven returns says the problem is more with the owner than with the phone.

No disrespect, but I can guarantee you it's not the owner. I have owned Android phones over 4 years and have done heavy rooting, modding, rom'ing, theming, etc and had the 8X before this phone. I don't want to go back to Android, believe me. But to say my issues with the 928 are user error is a slap in the face to me. I am more technologically advanced than the average person and then some. Yeah maybe I am more OCD about having a defect free device, but I feel it's my right to have one at the prices we pay.

Don't throw stones unless you've walked in his shoes. I'm waiting on a fourth to come from Nokia.

Thanks bro, I know that you know where I'm coming from.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I bought it day 1 and it's been just about perfect for me. Haven't experienced any debilitating bugs or defects. Software and hardware both seem great and I've had no problems with either. The only thing I will say, and I don't think this is really a defect, is that the vibrate does seem a bit on the quiet/weak side as others have mentioned. Still does the job, so no complaints from me. I will say if you get this phone, just handle it carefully and it's probably in your best interest to get a case. This thing can get a little slippery, and I feel like the beautiful glass face will shatter if I drop it.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay thanks guys, I should be getting it soon!

With you coming from the Z10 it will be interesting to know your opinion after a week or so. Though I'm a Microsoft ******, I've used all type of mobile devices for my job. I'm currently setting up a BES10 environment so I've been using the Z10 for about 2-3 weeks now as a daily driver. I actually went back to my 822 a few days ago because I just couldn't get comfortable with it. (Prior to the 822 I used the Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 4S.)

The Z10, which some cool features for the corporate world, i.e. Blackberry Balance, just seemed like it had way too many steps to get to different places. With Windows Phone, BAM, you're in and you're out. So it will be interesting to hear your opinion being on BB10 before going to WP8.

stevethenerd

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
... So if you consider that most manufacturers are doing good when 5 out of 100 customers get defective product, you can see that forums like these will have a large number of people complaining about issues.
...including the iPhone.

You will always find ssomeone complaining, and the complaints I see here are the petty kind. People don't want to give it a perfect score so they make up stuff...

cybodroid

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Had mine for over two weeks now and the problems I've had with it are more or less negligible.

The biggest I have is probably with the vibrate. Mine has a slight rattle to it and there's no way to adjust the intensity so I just resorted to turning it off altogether. The back, start, and search keys don't have 1080p crystal clarity and there's not an even distribution of lighting behind them, but I haven't found this something worth going back to the store over. Another issue is how when you take a screenshot (start key+power button), the camera sound is at full volume even when I have it set at 01/30, but this is probably something to do with the OS and not the phone itself and might get fixed with time. Also I can get it to creak slightly, but then it's like I'm trying to break the phone apart. The maximum headphone volume could also be louder, but I guess now I just won't be ruining my ears more than they already are.

Other than that it's a well-designed phone. The AMOLED is vibrant, camera quality is excellent, speakers are the best I've heard on a smartphone, and it could use a bit more apps but the platform is promising and has some good things going for it. It has a solid build quality and having a button dedicated to camera is also nice. It's definitely one of the better phones I've owned.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
With you coming from the Z10 it will be interesting to know your opinion after a week or so. Though I'm a Microsoft ******, I've used all type of mobile devices for my job. I'm currently setting up a BES10 environment so I've been using the Z10 for about 2-3 weeks now as a daily driver. I actually went back to my 822 a few days ago because I just couldn't get comfortable with it. (Prior to the 822 I used the Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 4S.)

The Z10, which some cool features for the corporate world, i.e. Blackberry Balance, just seemed like it had way too many steps to get to different places. With Windows Phone, BAM, you're in and you're out. So it will be interesting to hear your opinion being on BB10 before going to WP8.

Played with one at an AT&T store. Great hardware, killer screen but I couldn't figure out the gesture process. Seems like a good idea just not my cup of tea.

Too many steps to get around the phone and no dedicated home button made it a tough sell for me.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Played with one at an AT&T store. Great hardware, killer screen but I couldn't figure out the gesture process. Seems like a good idea just not my cup of tea.

Too many steps to get around the phone and no dedicated home button made it a tough sell for me.

I agree. It will be interesting to see what my legacy Blackberry users think when I start to move them.

Castor Troy

May 30, 2013
Visit site
You titled your thread all wrong, it should read "Is it really this good?" :smile: I've owned the 928 since launch and have had ZERO issues with it. Actually it is the best handset I've ever owned. Nokia in my opinion builds hardware like nobody's business. Motorola is the only other manufacturer that comes close to the build quality of a Nokia, but Nokia is by far the best piece of hardware on the market...period (my opinion)

The probability of you getting a defective piece of hardware is pretty slim. The ones who are having a great experience (which would be me and most likely hundreds of others) don't start threads talking about how solid the phone is and how great the experience is, but we are out there.

I've been on Android since '09 and couldn't be happier with WP8 and the Nokia Lumia 928. Awesome phone, great build quality, snatch it up, you will be very happy you did.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since release day and NO issues whatsoever. It has exceeded all my expectations. I have the gunky Windows button, but I actually like it.
Have not had one reboot. Not one freeze. No gaps in the screen. No creaking.
People look at it all the time. I had one person watching one of the live tiles to the point of having lost track of what was going on in a meeting. ;-)

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Got the white one on launch day. Only clear problem is the backlight of the back button is a bit dimmer than the start and search buttons. It can be slightly annoying but I think I can live with it. Battery life at the beginning was questionable but it's improving.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
It's not bad over here on WP8. On the positive side: WP8 is smooth, fast, stable and looks great; great camera quality and social networking integration. Live tiles are good now, and hopefully getting better. The bad: you won't have an app for everything. With heavy use it will take as long to charge the battery as to burn through it.

I am really liking the new Nokia line, and I am looking for to the WP/Nokia future.

Erk1209

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I ordered a black one at launch. The phone is night and day better than the 8x and I couldn't be happier so far. I have had a few issues: phone has completely locked once and had to be hard powered off, phone randomly restarted four times that I am aware of, and my signal strength seems to be weaker than my 8x's was. Another quirky thing is that the processor really warms up when I'm in poor service areas and this seems to just smash my battery. Any thoughts on why this would happen? I'm on the fence about exchanging it, would you guys? Zero interest in jumping ship though, I love this phone. Wish otterbox would release a case though...

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Best phone I have ever had! Tiny bit of gunk on home button but surprisingly it doesn't bother me. This is a great phone!

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Have had mine for a few weeks now. Build quality is excellent, very sturdy with little to no flex. The screen is phenomenal for an AMOLED display with all images & video crisp & clear.

The camera has been very good. I came from an HTC One & I can rightly say that the only thing I miss from that device were the speakers & the Zoe photo feature.

The 928 speaker is more than adequate however & the camera is consistently good.

The phone is snappy, stays cool & gives me very good battery life throughout the day with moderate to heavy use.

Apps are not an issue as I have everything I need, not a bunch of low quality storage takers I would never use.

LTE is super fast, browsing on IE 10 is a snap. Fit, finish, performance are all solid. WP8 is fluid and bug free for me. Overall great experience that can only get better.

RapidTurtle

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for about a month now and love it. No problems at all. Just give it a shot. You have 14 days to return it if you don't like it, but I bet you will wind up keeping it.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I have had is the gunky Windows button and I don't mind. It's cosmetic to me. If anything, I think of it as a digital fingerprint. I can identify my 928 from others. ;-)

This the only issue I have, and it's not even that bad, they are "yellowish" but I don't stare at the buttons I am looking at the screen. get a screen protector though, they screen does scratch a bit easy in my opinion.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The 928 is a way better phone than the Z10. The Z10 - on Verizon at least - is not reliable. They reboot at random, usually several times a day, sometimes in the middle of a call. Yeah, Verizon was supposed to be releasing a patch that fixes that but they haven't yet. Plus the app situation on the Z10 is miserable and, aside from games, doesn't seem to be improving much. Yeah, you can sideload apps but why? The apps on WP8 are coming fast and pretty much all the major players are here or soon will be.

Sorry, BB. I've used and loved BBs for a long time. But the Z is not at this point a very good phone for anyone who is not willing to babysit it. You'd frankly be better off with an OS7 phone unless you really want to beat your head against a wall.

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
That would be me. :cry:

No disrespect, but I can guarantee you it's not the owner. I have owned Android phones over 4 years and have done heavy rooting, modding, rom'ing, theming, etc and had the 8X before this phone. I don't want to go back to Android, believe me. But to say my issues with the 928 are user error is a slap in the face to me. I am more technologically advanced than the average person and then some. Yeah maybe I am more OCD about having a defect free device, but I feel it's my right to have one at the prices we pay.

Thanks bro, I know that you know where I'm coming from.

And I have gone through 12 of them. So I trump everyone. They were all defective in some serious way, not just the ugly Windows button. I gave up and tried an S4 but just don't like it and I am an Android fan. Heading to Verizon today to pick up another black 928 and crossing my fingers that I get a good one. I have been in this business a long time and purchase several new smartphones per year. It is certainly true that quality of devices is declining as everything is being made in China. But Apple makes pretty good stuff, hardware wise, so it is possible to oversee quality control. When Nokia made all of their own equipment it was the cream of the crop. Don't make assumptions of others in this forum for returning devices unless you have all of the facts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077