Windows Phone loyalist might switch back to android

Status
Not open for further replies.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So I'm on my 5th white 920 and still having the same problem, phone locks up when connected to Bluetooth in car. Nokia is aware of issue and is working on a fix but I'm tired of waiting. That and no viable credit card reader and app, its very hard for someone like me who loves all MS has to offer to keep waiting. I use my phone daily as a business tool, navigation, phone calls, texting , music and taking credit card payments. The latter I do by using intuit online on my phone and manually type everything in, its woks fine but is time consuming to say the least. So, att is having a sale where you bring in a working smartphone and get a htc one or Samsung s4 for $99. Again, I love WP8 and realize its getting better everyday but the lack of choices as far as quality handsets and the fact that I'm on my 5th 920 and lack of a CC reader and app is taking its toll on me. The only thing that holds me back is Xbox music. If it was available on android I would probably upgrade today. I'm not trying to start anything just want to know if anyone has had my same issues with the 920 and wp. Thanks.

sciencefair

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Expect a lot of replies telling you "don't let the door hit you on the way out." None of my friends have had bad experiences with their 920s, but overall it does seem that WP8 is nowhere near as mature as WP7 is in terms of stability and bugs. Having my phone lock up using bluetooth would drive me crazy too, and replacing 5 devices is ridiculous.

If the S4 or HTC one happen to fit your use cases and needs better, give it a whirl and see if you find android acceptable now compared to when you initially used it. Both are great phones, despite how evangelists will try to spin things.

Worst case you decide you want a windows phone again, you can get a 920 off craigslist or ebay for $300 or less in my area. If the amber update fixes your issues and you want to jump back in, it's not going to break the bank. Seeing as we don't even know when this is coming out or when at&t will deliver it, it's up to you if you want to wait it out or not.

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just buy a $299 nexus 4 and use both. ATT and T-Mobile compatibility, swap sims, good to go. I wouldn't dump WP for android entirely.
(I actually have a 16GB nexus 4 that I'm selling. If you're interested, send me a PM) *Mods, sorry, not trying to solicit!*

sciencefair

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Just buy a $299 nexus 4 and use both. ATT and T-Mobile compatibility, swap sims, good to go. I wouldn't dump WP for android entirely.
(I actually have a 16GB nexus 4 that I'm selling. If you're interested, send me a PM) *Mods, sorry, not trying to solicit!*
This would be a great suggestion if the nexus 4 didn't have its own set of car bluetooth issues for some people. OP should check to see if other people that own his car/reciever have trouble with the nexus 4.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Im gonna hang in there as I don't like the ones camera and I don't like android. I would be doing this for one app...which sucks. So now my other option is a cheap 7inch android tablet that works with square. Any suggestions or should I Bing it?
Thanks for talking me down....lol

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The slate 7 is your best price for abilty android tab.

Usually very cheep but not nasty.

I would not advise a crappy ?60 one.

You could always get a blackberry playbook. I have one and it has good business tools that will only get better with bb10. Its dirt cheap, massive storage and sterio speakers with a 720p screen

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am actually considering to buy an s4
Its crazy.

That IS crazy. Go for an HTC One instead. It's a much better device. You won't be happy with the S4's lag, especially after having used a lag-free device such as the Lumia 920.

I use both a Lumia and a one and have to say that I prefer the Lumia most of the time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jcvciii

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
It isn't square or paypal but there is a credit card reader As for the bluetooth issue, is it possible that it is your car stereo? I use the bluetooth connection for music on my 920 and it works perfectly fine.

megazone23

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Other than occasionally it cannot connect automatically to my cars' Bluetooth (Pioneer, Sony, Chrysler UConnect and a Chinese made Bluetooth module add on) and need manual connection, I never have a lock up issue. It also works fine with my Panasonic Bluetooth home phone system. It could be your car's Bluetooth isn't universally compatible.

In fact, my advice to you is go back to Android and come back only when what you need are available since you need is not common to most users.

elantech123

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone is good for using but has some problem like windows OS use more Ram and as per Graphics and catch memory not given hardware. So might be some time phone is hank.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure there won't be any issues with your Bluetooth and an android phone?

And if you love the 920 and only need android for one app a nice little tablet might be the way to go. I have a 920, an iPad and an older android tablet. I also provide some 'tech support' for my daughter-in-law and her new Galaxy phone. While I enjoy playing with android (used to love flashing my old WinMo phones), I wouldn't like an android phone to use full time. Win8 is just too smooth and the 920 is a sweet phone (got mine on Nov 12th and never had one issue).

Good luck with your decision. Everyone's needs are different. Your phone is a tool that's supposed to make your life easier. If your 920 is failing to do that it may be time to move on. You have to use what works best for you at this time of your life.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just a suggestion, why don't you buy an ipod touch? Get the apps you need from Apple and keep your 920 as your daily driver.

Really cant believe I just suggested someone buy an apple product - I may be coming down with something....

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I experienced similar problem with L620 after firmware update. Here's what I did that solved my problem.

- In my car audio player, I deleted the registered phone.
- I turned on car audio and lumia bluetooth.
- Lumia identified the car audio, but instead of tapping to pair them, I deleted the registered car audio entry in the phone.
- I turned off lumia bluetooth and turned it on again. The car audio appeared again. Then, I tapped to pair.

After that, it worked normal for me.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just a suggestion, why don't you buy an ipod touch? Get the apps you need from Apple and keep your 920 as your daily driver.

Really cant believe I just suggested someone buy an apple product - I may be coming down with something....

I'd rather suggest someone use an apple product over android :D

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Being on your 5th device and still having the same issue leads me to believe your issue is not with the phone hardware / software. I pair my 920 to my car stereo and it has always been solid. Now the cc reader. Thats another story. If you need that for your business you should certainly switch platforms.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife had to leave WP for this exact reason. I am pleased with the growth of WP sales and the app development overall. But, boy there is still pain and inconvenience everywhere. Hope a solution works for you.

Intuit, PayPal, Square...... At some point one of these majors readers has to make it to WP, or some smaller company with comparable pricing and services. Just the law of averages.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Being on your 5th device and still having the same issue leads me to believe your issue is not with the phone hardware / software. I pair my 920 to my car stereo and it has always been solid. Now the cc reader. Thats another story. If you need that for your business you should certainly switch platforms.

Since he can get a CC reader, not sure what the issue is there... post was made above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6