Lumia 928 on T-Mobile, unable to send SMS/text

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin86

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am using the 928 on T-Mobile and everything I though was working fine, but I am unable to send SMS, I can receive fine and browse the web. I tried the AP app but nothing happens, any work around that may work? I also verified that the service # was correct also!!

Thanks,

Greg

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is a well-documented problem with the 928 and the 822 before it. Prior to the Portico update, people were using the 822 on other carriers with no problems. After Portico, some settings were removed (APN?) or won't save or something, and AFAIK no one has gotten MMS to work on another carrier. I can't recall if data works on other carriers or not.

This, in my view, is in clear violation of 47 CFR 27.16 (e) which states that phones on this frequency band (Verizon's LTE band) cannot be locked to a carrier. Unfortunately it will probably take a someone with deep pockets to take it into a courtroom to resolve. I suppose you could try filing a complaint with the FCC, since that's the governing body. Look in the 822 forum for more info on this, as it is not limited to 928.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I was able to send/receive text messages, but not picture messages or any other type of MMS. Can you get pure text messages at all?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Someone in the 822 forum said that Access Point was updated yesterday, and posted a screenshot. What the screenshot means, I don't know, as I don't use Access Point. I state *with caution* that the new version of Access Point may solve the problem, but the post was very much void of detail, so I don't know.

Kuchepich

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought the black Nokia Lumia 928 (Verizon) about 2 weeks ago (from Amazon).
Next day I got a data plan from T-Mobile (never had one before).

SHORT STORY:
The recent update of Access Point now works fine (on Portico). That is - it DOES save/stick/apply the APN profile and activates it.

As a result, in summary:
SMS inbound - OK
SMS outbound - FAIL (look at the LONG STORY version below for details)
MMS inbound - OK
MMS outbound - OK
DATA - OK (only at 3G though)

LONG STORY:
The phone either came with the Portico update or I must have installed it by running all kinds of updates, because it is showing to be at Portico version currently (1532.5957.1318.3021).

Initially I had problems with the data plan (internet was not working well or very slow speeds). Called T-Mobile tech support, and the T-Mobile rep changed my line's data profile (from BlackBerry to Windows Phone) and this fixed the data (internet) issues.

In the beginning I don't remember having SMS issues. SMS worked just fine for both inbound and outbound traffic. Then, about a week ago, I got an error (SMS Error: 1) when I tried sending out an SMS. I tried sending out again and got the sane error again. I ignored it for awhile, but hours later I tried again - same thing (SMS Error: 1). I fiddled around with the phone's settings, and I set the phone (inside the Carrier settings) to go down to 2G/EDGE speeds. I then tried sending out a text message and it worked (?!?!). This might be some kind of coincidence, because the phone loses and restores connectivity whenever you switch between the different data modes (2G/3G/LTE. Btw, I don't see 4G as an option, but this is a different issue for another thread) as I believe that SMS is not using the data (internet) channels at all (unless this has changed recently).

On Tuesday (6/11), I called T-Mobile and they checked for SMS "blocking" on my line (why would there be any?!) and confirmed there is none and then did something (didn't specify what) and told me to power off and on my phone after we disconnected. I did that and ever since this last change by T-Mobile, I consistently cannot send out text messages (while before the TM rep "change" it would intermittently work), but this time I am getting (always) a SMS Error: 50 response.

Called TM again (today) and got xfered to 2nd tier support. Worked with the tech (very polite and understanding person) and he ultimately tried something that didn't work so he escalated the issue to 3rd tier.

At this point I am waiting for either a fix or an explanation of root cause from 3rd tier TM support. The 2nd tier tech said it'll take about 72 hours before we get an answer.

I'll keep you guys posted on the development of this issue, as I am sure a lot of people will benefit from this.

Vernon Amos

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm using an 822 on Ptel(MVNO of T-Mobile). For me SMS worked before and after Portico update.

This may indicate its something specific to T-Mobile or its sim cards.

Kuchepich

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting on TM support to contact me.

In the meanwhile, I tried "fixing" the issue w/ SMS myself by powering down the phone, taking out the SIM, powering it up, waiting for the OS to boot up (said that there's no SIM), powering it down again, putting back the SIM and powering it up.
This "fixed" the issue. I can now send out text messages, but only if the phone is in 2G/EDGE mode. The moment I switch it to 3G - it stops working (but now responds with a "SMS Error: 1" message instead of "SMS Error: 50" as it did prior to me doing the above "power down/take out SIM/power up" cycle).
So, practically, SMS still doesn't work.

P.S. Still haven't seen the phone connect w/ 4G.

At this point I am thinking of "downgrading" it back to pre-Portico, to see if this'll fix the SMS (and 4G) issue.
If it doesn't - I'll return the phone.

Taehayhay

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Kuchepich, have you been able to solve the SMS and 4G issues? What did T-Mobile have to say?

I've found that doing a soft reset (down volume button + power) allows me to send/receive texts for several hours before the error message (SMS error 1) comes up again.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Kuchepich, have you been able to solve the SMS and 4G issues? What did T-Mobile have to say?

I've found that doing a soft reset (down volume button + power) allows me to send/receive texts for several hours before the error message (SMS error 1) comes up again.

Use Nokia's Access Point App (access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) with the phone in Global Mode. My phone worked fine when I tested it out on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

Also, there is no way to "downgrade" the phone to pre-portico (without some internal Nokia software) because it was publically released with Portico and any ROM you get that is pre-portico will be for the 920 (no guarantee this will work, and if it doesn't there is no 928 rom to reflash).

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
From what I have read it's locked to Verizon. I hope I am wrong and someone can give you a solution.

Nah due to Verizon's licensing of the lower C-block of the 700mhz spectrum, the FCC required all devices running on it be UNLOCKED and no throttling.

All the devices coming out well be GSM unlocked

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Nah due to Verizon's licensing of the lower C-block of the 700mhz spectrum, the FCC required all devices running on it be UNLOCKED and no throttling.

All the devices coming out well be GSM unlocked

This is correct, per 47 CFR 27.16 e, but the problem is that the capabilities of the phone have been reduced in that they can no longer change the necessary settings to get it to fully work on other networks.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
This is correct, per 47 CFR 27.16 e, but the problem is that the capabilities of the phone have been reduced in that they can no longer change the necessary settings to get it to fully work on other networks.

Yeah, they followed the letter of the law but not the spirit...

But with Android phones you have to root it to get the apn settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb