Ativ S battery life

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello this is my first post,

I'm just wondering what sort of battey life people out of their device. Mine seems to die considerably quickly. I use the battery app to monitor my device and battery usages is always quite steep. I do have location, push email and 3G on but bluetooth and nfc are turned off. The device does last a very long time without 3G turned on. I turned my device on at 7.30 this morning, have done less than 30mins radio streaming, about an hours web browsing, 10mins of games and im already at 50%. The device is less than 2 weeks old. Could anyone let me know how they find the device or show me some screenshots of their battery monitoring app.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I routinely get over a day and a half with moderate usage, YMMV though depending on how heavily you use the phone. I've also noticed that if you charge the phone at about the 50% mark the battery runs down quicker to 50% again.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
"The device does last a very long time without 3G turned on."
Therein may lie your problem. Keeping a steady cellular data connection tends to be more daunting on your battery than being connected to Wi-Fi. Is this only when connected to 3G, or do you experience these drains with just Wi-Fi?

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I feel my device may have a problem. I've just reset it and have only installed Whatsapp. Have wifi, bluetooth and nfc turned off so i'll see how it goes. i could unlpug my nl900 at 8am and go all the way until about 10pm and that was with medium to heavy use.

Brent Hazelton

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Smartphone batteries increase their full potential charge in the first 3-4 weeks of full charging, many people often complain when they first get a smartphone that the battery life isn't very good, however the batteries must be conditioned first in order to reach their full potential. That being said, getting 40 hours out of your Ativ S if you're using it frequently is complete bull. I use my phone frequently browsing the web, WPCentral App, Engadget, Package Tracker, Whatsapp and Skype (with a bunch others) and if im up at 8:00am I will get to around 5:00-8-00pm before it dies. Also this depends on if your using Auto brightness, which I recommend you check to see if it is on.

Brent

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Brent, that sounds more realistic. Although my lumia 900 use to last for some time before it died. I have auto brightness on and location otherwise a lot of the apps are useless without it. Can anyone show me any screens of their battery monitor and their usage?

harky111

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I have found my battery to be very good, I have owned it for 4 or 5 months and it has averaged 1.75% drain per hour
I would be lighter usage than you but I leave everything on but the NFC. I easily get 2 days out of a charge and would stretch to 3 at a push.

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
wp_ss_20130611_0001.jpg

See image above, this is my battery this morning. Took it off charge at 8.10 and this screenshot was taken at 9.29. 3G is on, wireless is off, bluetooth is off, nfc is off. i sent a few messages on whatsapp, about 10-20 to the same person. listened to 10mins of radio streaming from the net and opened the sky sports news app for 10mins. I only have 4 applications running the background. Does this look like the correct amount of battery drain, I feel that this device has an issue as im sure my NL900 would have had more apps running in the background and had better battery life than this?

GeorgeKan

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
guys, how do you take a screenshot?

Also, do you charge the phone with the original charger? i find its battery life stellar, ALOT better than my previous galaxy nexus

harky111

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Here's my battery usage - i didn't charge it last night. I would try removing the whatsapp I think I have heard that had a problem with battery drain somewhere but I could be wrong, otherwise something is wrong to get that life. I have had bluetooth wifi and location on (not nfc) and still get this type of life.

wp_ss_20130612_0001.png

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Cheers, ill try removing whatsapp and will see what affect that has. The phone is only 2 weeks old so it maybe that it just needs time a little bit more time to see what its optimum capacity is.

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Just removed whatsapp and im still losing about 5% every ten mins. Defo something wrong. Think it will have to go to service centre, that's 2 weeks without a phone

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
There's two things people do with every WP8 phone that kills their battery : not backing out of apps (push the back arrow INSTEAD of the home button to get out of your app) and using battery monitors.

I've had 3 WP8 devices and EVERY one had better battery life by just removing the battery monitoring app and backing out of apps. Never fails to improve battery.

Trainwreck_0532

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I found some of the battery monitoring apps killed the charge quicker than playing games. I do heavy use of my ativ, and a charge will last me from when I wake up at 7, until I go to bed at 11. If I play games though it may need a top up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb