Ativ S battery life

bristolbluebear

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I feel my device may have a problem. I've just reset it and have only installed Whatsapp. Have wifi, bluetooth and nfc turned off so i'll see how it goes. i could unlpug my nl900 at 8am and go all the way until about 10pm and that was with medium to heavy use.

Whatsapp kills the battery big-time l found.

walnutdave

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My Battery life is 6 to 7 hours.I turn on and off 3G alot i turn of everything Unless I need it.i play games Occasionally and it dis-charges At 11.25 Present per hour.

nsa74

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Usually a day. Browsing, news, chat(integrated chat) and a some gaming when I'm out. 3G active only between wifi at work, home and the place I usually go for a coffee with friends. I sometimes put it to charge for a while in the afternoon, but just as a precation. If not, I usually get 20-25% battery in the evening.
wp_ss_20130913_0001.jpg

Tadej Horvat

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I feel my device may have a problem. I've just reset it and have only installed Whatsapp. Have wifi, bluetooth and nfc turned off so i'll see how it goes. i could unlpug my nl900 at 8am and go all the way until about 10pm and that was with medium to heavy use.

Hi there,
I have WiFi and 3G always on, 3 mail accounts on 15 minute sync, write 20 SMS and take 5-10 calls for 2 - 4 minutes, browse for 10 minutes, take 5 photos on average day and the battery lasts for 40 - 48 hours.
When I installed Whatsapp, my battery drained like you described, so I am pretty sure that the app is not as optimized as I would expect (or I failed to set it up wright). I uninstalled the app the next day.
Best regards

Richard Davis3

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I get approx 20-30 hours with 3G, WiFi, BlueTooth and location on with 3 push emails; I generally stream about 2 hours of music and browse for an hour or so via 3G plus a few calls. Generally if I remember to charge it every night I am good.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
my ATIV S is a beast for battery life EXCEPT when I had whatsapp... battery drains using whatsapp on my HTC 8X as well.

Also I would like to point out: those battery monitoring do keep track of your battery BUT also add a lot of draining

lardladicus

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
gotta admit the ativ s has amazing battery life for its spec, my second phone is an android lenovo S750 with a 2000mah battery and my ativ beats the hell out of the crazy little droid phone.
i think generally microsoft have put some very solid battery management in windows phone especially when going into battery saver mode.

at the end of the working day my ativ is usually down to about 50% whilst the android is about 2% - you can always do more with a rooted in terms of controlling power etc but in terms of pick up and play with a more restricted but controlled experience the ativ s and wp8 is a great combination.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I just did a hard reset, and yeah, this battery is a beast. I unplugged it about 32 hours ago, and still on 20%. That's with two workouts of streaming audio for an hour each, email set to every 30 mins, LTE on, location on, Bluetooth/NFC off. I also made a few calls, texted a bit, surfed here and there.

Before the hard reset I was using a battery tracker, but I didn't re-install it. I'm not saying it was a drain, but battery performance overall seems to have improved without it. That was the only app I didn't re-install.

-edit-

Not to disparage other platforms, but to compare; my wife took her GS3 off the charger at 5:45am today, and after the gym hers was already at 75%.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I am extremely happy with the battery life of my ATIV S. Since GDR2 (yes, it did improve battery life), I typically see a drop down to 60% remaining battery life after 17 to 20 hours since last change. Occasionally, I'll inexplicably see +/- 10% or so better or worse battery life with the same usage (maybe a background task doing more than usual??) The only way to quickly drain the battery is to play Angry Birds :p Angry Birds will take 100% charge down below 50% in very little time.

My usage is moderate though, a typical day sees text messaging, 20 minutes of talk time, 1-5 personal account emails received, checking facebook a few times throughout the day, and reading wpcentral.
Auto switches between LTE and H+ service depending on where I am, location on, wifi connected occasionally, bluetooth on when in car. Outlook account push email.

Background tasks always running:
- 6sec
- 6tag
- Amazing Weather HD
- Bing News
- Bing Sport
- Bing Weather
- My Stocks Portfolio+
- Wikipedia
- WPCentral
I have 6 other tasks blocked in order to manage data usage.

Last edited:

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
gsmarena does very detailed battery test for phones but for some reason, I couldn't find the result for ATIV S. So decided to borrow a 520 to compare with my ATIV S. Charged both phone to 100%, using 2 fingers, did exactly the same thing to both phones for an hour, at the same time over the same WiFi connection. Watch the exact same movies in phones, same youtube download, surfing the same websites, open the same apps etc. And finally leaving both phone overnight untouched (on flight mode because both phone on different carrier with different signal strength, WiFi on). My conclusion is, the ATIV is no better or worst than the 520. And since 520 only have an endurance rating of 49, the ATIV S should be similar and that is not exactly good.

Nokia Lumia 520 goes through our extended battery testing regime, see how it managed - GSMArena Blog

PNX81

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I am using GDR3 and i get approx. 1 day with average usage, sometimes up to 2 days. What kills my battery are those apps with weather or news livetile. Location Services are only switched on when needed. No feedback or reporting is allowed. Facebook is mit configured, push notifications dont work anyway and I really hate the unwanted picture sync.

Sent from AtivS using Tapatalk

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
There's two things people do with every WP8 phone that kills their battery : not backing out of apps (push the back arrow INSTEAD of the home button to get out of your app) and using battery monitors. .

Yeah.. I can confirm this.. I installed a battery monitor app, My battery was great until it got to 50% then it would drop to 20% in one night, and the battery reading was rubbish, so I ditched them all. and I get about 2-3 days on one charge.

Great battery on the Ativ S.

Cheers

ksssksss

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi to all here.
My first post.
A question: how much drain do you have during night?
I am quite happy with battery life during daytime, but my phone uses the same amount during night as day. Almost 2% / hour.
Have 3g on, wlan set to off when screen is off. 3 programs that can use background task. Of course more apps installed, but those are blocked in background.

BR ksss

anon(8022058)

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Almost 2 days. 6 background tasks: Bing Weather, Metrotube, Viber, Nextgen Reader, WhatsApp and CamSam. Location on, Feedback on, Battery saver off. Usual daily stuff - email sync as it arrives, Youtube 2-3 videos, Facebook, a little viber chat, some photos. P.S Must admit, battery life was even better before GDR3...

Last edited:

ylap

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Average life 24-28 hours, in more active usage from morning till late evening. Data or Wi-Fi is always on. I think it's normal life for smartphone. Running GDR3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro