Battery issues with Lumia 920

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I have read a lot of posts about battery problems on the 920, but I have not experienced them since launch when I purchased my phone.

Now, over the last few weeks, what I thought was signal issues (could still be) is causing my battery to drain steadily over 8 hours or so until it hits 20% and tells me that I need to turn on battery saver.

Normally, I take the phone off the wireless charger at around 7:00 AM when I am getting ready for work. I have WiFi in the house so a bad cellular connection is moot. I go to work about 10 miles away and there is a LTE signal there, but it appears to be hit or miss in my shop. Sometimes when I pick up the phone to check a text, it has one or two bars of LTE signal. Most times it has three bars of 4G. I can browse the web, but slowly.

Now, by about 3:00 PM, the battery has been getting to a point that I need to recharge so it will last the rest of the night. I charge it and it lasts until bedtime when it goes back on the charger.

Today was especially bad in the sense that I was home sick all day and took the phone off the charger around 7 to call in and left it on my desk all day in case my wife called me for anything. By 5:00 PM, the phone alerted me to turn on battery saver because it was down to 20%. That is a 80% drop in charge in in 10 hours. Usage was 2 phone calls, and 6 text messages. All the time on WiFi. I put it on the charger and it started to become hot, like the battery was being drained rapidly, or it was charging too fast.

I don't want to have to exchange it if needed, as I hate getting refurb phones. I was going to do a wipe and restore, but it almost sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Anyone else seeing this happen recently? I know there were issues with the 920 in the past, but figured they were taken care of with some of the firmware updates. By the way, the phone is completely updated with the latest firmware as well as Nokia's app updates.

Thanks for any help that may be offered.

Moodib

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I hope this is not what my phone has started to do today on the 2nd day of ownership. It was great yesterday, but today, it did the EXACT thing that you have described. Unplugged at around 7 am, pretty much zero usage today, and the battery was at around 11% by 3:30 pm. However, I restarted the phone, and the problem seemed to go away almost instantly as the battery flat lined at 11% for a good couple hours.

Used it a little bit more after ward and walked home and checked and I was down to 4%. I will report back tomorrow and see if things have improved at all.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a big thread about battery issues. Pls check it.. but it doesn't hurt to powercycle it.. ie allow it to drain completely and charge fully. and see what happens.

Also remove the background apps.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I have read most of the other posts and they all pretty much said the same thing.
I was hoping that since the firmware updates, the battery issues would be solved, but apparently they just pop up whenever they feel like it.

In one other post, there was a link to a Microsoft Dev blog that stated a process called xaudio2 will run in the background on its own as it is a part of silverlight (was directx) and it tends to not shut down properly after an app is closed.

I tend to feel this may be the case with me as I stream music to my radio in my truck via Bluetooth and it seems to drain faster shortly after that. Now, as I use the Xbox music app, I could gather that Microsoft may need to check their own app to be sure it does as the blog post says and kills the process off properly when music is closed.

This may be the case for the reboots solving the issue temporarily as it would kill the process on reboot. The issue would be that it would probably happen all over again when I listen to music in the truck again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Kellix

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had many problems knock on wood. I mean some times mine goes for 3 days before charging. One thing I have all my email on manual sync, and also I have the wireless not to search unless its at home, or I know where a free one is. To me, its you have to look at all the stuff you really have to have going and if its your workphone or home phone. I also have a Verizion HTC8 S which the 920 is better. :) but I have to have the email on 24/7 it runs out about at a day and a half.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
setting wifi to not search and notify really saves battery./ even in wp7 .. pls try that.. but it will connect automaticalllu when it is at home

ali80

May 29, 2013
Visit site
For me, after I uninstalled whatsapp, my battery now back to normal. I use it 6+ hours but no gaming at all and rarely listen to music by headphones. I recharge my phone every 24 hours even when I still have 50% or less battery. I'm sure I can use my htc 8x for 2 days without charging. Try removing whatsapp and then do hard reset. Also it depends on your signal strength.

Last edited:

Moodib

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I think the point is that with battery usage that high, that it really isn't limited to a single app. I agree with GMJeff that it is most likely a stuck background process that is just draining the battery. After I restarted my phone, things were back to normal. I shouldn't have to turn off every single service to get good battery life and I don't. I get great battery life under regular circumstances. There are definitely a lot of battery issues with the phone, but the key is that they are different. Lumping them all into one thread doesn't do anyone any good.

Anyhow, I would just reboot after using problem apps and see if that fixes the problem. It did with my issue, which leads me to believe it is a glitch in the OS conflicting with the Nokia firmware.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
well how about listing the apps that us having battery issues have installed on our phone to see if we can find a pattern.

I'll start

List of apps installed on my 920

Blink
Chase Mobile
Convert2Go
Creative Studio
DS Audio
DS Photo+
Endomondo Sports Tracker
Facebook Beta
Flashlight-X
Flixter
Here City Lens
Here Drive+ Beta
HERE Maps
Lumia pusher
myAT&T
Network Tools
Nokia Music
Pageonce
Panorama
PayPal
PDF Reader
Play to
ProShot
Refocus
Ringtone Maker
Rowi
Smart Shoot
SophieLens PRO
Speedtest.net
WhatsApp
WPCentral
Yelp
YouTube Downloader
Games
Angry Birds
Monopoly Millionaire
Xbox SmartGlass
Flow Free
Texas Holdem Poker
Words With Friends

that's all.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
One more observation, when i use the Nokia wired charger the battery seems to last longer !! Than compared to wireless or after market charger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion