Capacitive button manufacturing defect gone yet?

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I got mine today and it has the issue, but it is minor. Doesn't bother me so I'm going to keep it as long as nothing else is wrong.

jamsesh

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I tweeted @nokiacareus. They are incredibly responsive by the way, I highly recommend reaching out with questions or problems.

Their response, however, indicates that this is not considered a defect and there are no plans to change anything:

928softKeytweet.jpg

I'll let you know if they respond with anything more promising.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I got mine back from service, they replaced the phone with a new one, it's still got the button problem. Not as bad as my first one but, it's still there.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
got mine yesterday, they are yellowish, and the windows button, about half of it is dimmer than the other, but I don't look at my buttons, everything else is great.

Brett Jackson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just picked a 928 up from Verizon yesterday, and it has the yellow tint and the gunk under the windows key. I'm going back this afternoon to exchange for a different one and see if its any better.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The weird thing is that although I still have a small amount of gunk under the start button my buttons have gotten whiter. When I first got the phone they were very yellow but now look uneven but white.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Picked up a black 928 last Friday with a small chunk taken out of the bottom right square of the windows symbol.

I got mine on Monday from Newegg, same on mine as yours. The bottom right square of the Windows button has a small bit that's different. I'm fine with it for how small it is.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if any previous lumia models have had these odd capacitive button defects? The 928 is the first time I heard of discoloration or goopiness with capacitive buttons on any smart phone or tablet.

BeastMD

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny I have been through 3 928's now. 1st was a black, and the screen right hand side wouldnt work. The buttons looked pretty good though. Was waiting for the black to get back in stock at amazon but couldnt wait anymore so I got a white one and on that one the vibrate sounded like it was in a tin can. Returned that one and got another black one so far so good but gunky capacitive buttons which I dont care about.

I think its some sort of glue, as mine have seeming gotten better over the last few days of having it but they still look gunky overall. Not a big deal for me. As long as I can see them in the dark and everything else works well its not a big deal for me.

Remember all of the yellow screens the iphone had a while back? That was due to glue not being totally set when people got the phones. It usually cleared up over time.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the adhesive isn't going through the proper cure process. I know the screen is laminated sheets that are glued together, so this sounds like it may very well be the case. This is the kind of junk you see when either the assemblers don't properly follow the process, or corners are cut to get more devices out the door. Being in manufacturing you see the most unbelievable mistakes. Most of our products go through vibration testing. On some of them, the IC's are prone to either being ejected from the board - pads with them - or having their leads break a the device case when they are vibrated. To prevent this, the devices can be bonded to the board with bonding material. We had one board where the bonding material was applied to the top of one of the IC's but not down the side and on the board, where it needs to be to keep it from vibrating, and the device had numerous leads sheared at the case after vibration. Our ME's just go nuts wondering what the operator who bonded the device was thinking.

If you believe you may have a curing issue, use a blower drier on warm for few minutes and see if the issue starts to go away. Just don't get the battery too hot.

jackmckenzie5

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Received it today. The backlight is slightly dimmer in the top left square of the Windows button, but there is nothing of the magnitude described by others, and I'm very satisfied.

Ordered from NewEgg on 6/16

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Got the black one in today, and I would say the left side of the Start button is less bright than the right, but overall they look okay. My only complaint is that the haptic feedback is exceptionally weak. Like one tiny tick of vibration.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting a white 928 today so I'll have to check it out. I think you're right about there being some glue that isn't quite dried yet.

I remember one of the iPhones having some 'yellow' issue and it was that the glue wasn't dry yet and eventually it went away.

Also people were looking at it wrong.. (too soon?) :)

wayn1ak

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone see if the gunk on the keys have gone away over time? I wouldn't mind if they are a little yellow but the 928 I had before looked awful.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine have always looked "off white" and not that bright, but it looks "normal" to me. No "gunk" on my 928 buttons.

That's great that you have no gunk. Supposedly the "off white" yellowness in the buttons is symptomatic of adhesive (glue) that didn't dry properly beneath the surface. One poster on the defects thread recommended taking a blow dryer to the phone for a bit of time without getting the battery too hot. Apparently that was a solution a few years ago when a bunch of IPhones shipped with yellow screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett