Capacitive button manufacturing defect gone yet?

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I have been dealing with the escalation team with Nokia for a little over a week now. My new device is in the mail as we speak. I will update as soon as I get it. They say they are going to put it through a thorough inspection to make sure the casing isnt loose, capacitive keys are not deformed, and the lighting is yellow.

My device started having phantom screen touches too and screen tearing when multi-tasking. Pretty rough model. Had great luck with my trophy and 8x. Had terrible luck with my 822...and 928 isnt off to a great start. Im hoping they took my feedback to heart.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I got mine back from service, they replaced the phone with a new one, it's still got the button problem. Not as bad as my first one but, it's still there.
What was the turnaround time for this? Thinking of sending mine in for the vibrate. It's getting progressively worse.

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The gunk for sure doesn't go away. Have had mine over a month and they are still funky and yellow and its still always bugs me.

larrymcj

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone purchased a 928 recently and not had the issue with the "goopy" capacitive buttons? I'm curious if Nokia's quality team has a fix in place yet so we don't have the same issues people were having with the "first round" of devices.

I got mine from VZW online on last week and the buttons look fine. They're never going to be perfectly white, but they're clearly defined and and even off-white, slightly yellowish color. Nothing at all objectionable.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
amazon must have an old batch that's hit or miss because i've gotten two ugly phones in a row (my buddy got a good one from them, ordered at the same time). one without gunk but the back light is clearly uneven. from left to right the buttons get brighter. back arrow is very dull, home button is half and half, and search button is really bright (probably how they should all be). the replacement's buttons came looking like someone's yellow stained smoker's teeth and with gunk. exchanging again until i get one i'm happy with.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
so on the third try i got one i'm happy with! 3rd time's the charm. evenly lit, non gunky, white-ish ever so slightly off-white hue and normal non-rattley vibration! will activate it today and send my current one back.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I got the 928 from Amazon on Monday (7/29) and my Home button had the defect. The sent me a new one and I got it today (7/31) and the Home button defect was even worse on this one. So I'm sending the replacement one back and then they'll send a third one. Hopefully third time's the charm.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
it was for me! bought through amazon as well. they made it painless. essentially kept next day-ing me another. keep doing it until you get a good one =)

Square85

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a White 928 last Friday (7/26) and my phone doesn't appear to have the button issue. If anything, you have to look really really close at the back button and maybe you can see it. I got mine directly from a Verizon store in Manhattan.

Last edited:

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I got a replacement one in a couple of days ago and still has the bad looking windows key when it lights up. was hoping the replacement one looked better but atleast it functions 100% unlike the one I replaced.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd just like to chime in and say that about 3-4 weeks after I got my white 928 the goopiness is entirely gone. The buttons are clean, evenly lit, and look quite nice. I had serious goopiness when I originally bought the device, so maybe it'll go away for everyone? I wish I had before and after pics, but it definitely got better.

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd just like to chime in and say that about 3-4 weeks after I got my white 928 the goopiness is entirely gone. The buttons are clean, evenly lit, and look quite nice. I had serious goopiness when I originally bought the device, so maybe it'll go away for everyone? I wish I had before and after pics, but it definitely got better.

Seriously? It just melted off? Forgive me, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh good grief. The goop is likely some type of adhesive that is partially opaque when not fully cured. Once it cures, it becomes transparent. This is similar to the issue that the iPhones had back in the day. So no "melting" is required...just curing of the adhesive.

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? It just melted off? Forgive me, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around that.

Yeah, totally serious! I mean I have no idea what the process of it fixing itself was... But yeah, it's totally clear and normal now. Like I said, I wish I had pics, but I have no reason to lie about that :p

Isometric_414

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It would seem not. I've just finished buying, then returning three 928's at my local Costco. Back to using my Trophy until I can get my hands on one without the defect.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I just don't really understand why the 928 is the only reported Lumia with this slow curing adhesive trait. I'm glad it solves itself, though!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss