LTE showing on 928 Verizon but no data connection

ltoddbarnette

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
My 4 day old 928 shows LTE and 2 or 3 bars but my email doesn't update. I do a manual sync and it fails says not data connection. I reboot the phone and it works fine. I have had to do this a couple of times the past few days. It seems to be worse when I am traveling (driving) to different work sites. Any ideas?

dmtaub

May 29, 2013
Visit site
My 4 day old 928 shows LTE and 2 or 3 bars but my email doesn't update. I do a manual sync and it fails says not data connection. I reboot the phone and it works fine. I have had to do this a couple of times the past few days. It seems to be worse when I am traveling (driving) to different work sites. Any ideas?

I assume you tried cycling the phone (turn on, turn off). Connect to a wi-fi source and see if you are able to connect and sync. If so, then the good news it is not your phone. Give Verizon a call and make sure that your new phone was programmed on the backend correctly. Happened to me where after I left the store, it never actually switched services to the new handset. Hope that helps.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have a similar problem when I am on WiFi and low lte to no signal. It should default to WiFi but tries to connect over lte. If I shut off cellular data it works fine

Eneq

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I hate to hijack this thread, but is there a way to make the little LTE/network strength display to permanently show? I don't like having the pull down to see my connection strength

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I hate to hijack this thread, but is there a way to make the little LTE/network strength display to permanently show? I don't like having the pull down to see my connection strength

No, you can't do that. It always hides

Last edited:

legolex

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you got your question answered but mine does the same thing - having 2-3 bars of LTE and WiFi but doesn't update email and if I try and do a Bing/Google search it says I have "No Data Connection". The only thing I found that works is turning Airplane Mode on and then turning it off. I don't know why or what the problem is but it's incredibly frustrating to have a brand new phone act like this. I believe this is a very buggy phone and needs an update badly.

Another problem I'm having to support my Buggy Phone theory is the message alert tones and ringtones will just stop working out of nowhere and in order to remedy a turn off/on cycle is required. I hope someone from Nokia/Microsoft is monitoring these threads because it's ridiculous. I'm an experienced WindowsPhones user, having had several different models and this one has some serious kinks that need worked out.

I hope the Airplane Mode trick works for you!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you got your question answered but mine does the same thing - having 2-3 bars of LTE and WiFi but doesn't update email and if I try and do a Bing/Google search it says I have "No Data Connection". The only thing I found that works is turning Airplane Mode on and then turning it off. I don't know why or what the problem is but it's incredibly frustrating to have a brand new phone act like this. I believe this is a very buggy phone and needs an update badly.

Another problem I'm having to support my Buggy Phone theory is the message alert tones and ringtones will just stop working out of nowhere and in order to remedy a turn off/on cycle is required. I hope someone from Nokia/Microsoft is monitoring these threads because it's ridiculous. I'm an experienced WindowsPhones user, having had several different models and this one has some serious kinks that need worked out.

You can also just got to Cellular and shut off the data connection, then it seems to realize the WiFi is available.

ltoddbarnette

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site

After this last update mine hasn't done it again so hopefully the bug is corrected!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The only time I had this problem was when I went into an area with no coverage, when I came out of the area I ended up having to reboot the phone as the data just wouldn't kick in on its own.

reedsutton

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I run into this no connection issue even when the phone says LTE, as well. Would love to find a fix.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I have seen this problem 3-4 times from getting the 928. Even though I have 5 bars of LTE at my home and all of the sudden, no data works, even with wi-fi, so sometimes I can go a few hours with out noticing it (as I just look at the tiles to see if I have new mail, twitter, facebook etc). Every data connection is dead. After a quick reboot of the phone everything returns back. Not sure if its changing towers, I have LTE coverage at work but, inbeween work and home, there are 3G only areas I go through. I have only noticed this at home but, I cant say for sure.

I was thinking about calling Nokia about this issue, as I could miss a important email because of this happening, and if your only just doing a quick check of your tiles, you wont even notice an issue till you try to do something else.

My software/firmware on my 928...
OS 8.0.10211.204
firmware: 1532.5957.1318.3021

it should be up to date

Last edited:

AiponGkooja

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Try going into your settings, under "Cellular" I think. Mode should be "LTE and CDMA" and roaming option should be "Roam". I've had mine reset to "Global" and "Don't Roam" before, and it ruins my connection.

pma

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Try going into your settings, under "Cellular" I think. Mode should be "LTE and CDMA" and roaming option should be "Roam". I've had mine reset to "Global" and "Don't Roam" before, and it ruins my connection.

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted my same problem in the bugs sticky.
This makes sense to me. Mine was set to "Global" and "Don't Roam" and I have been having those connection issues when traveling in and out of the city. I've made the changes and will keep my fingers crossed!

Edit: Unfortunately the issue happened again today as I was leaving the city. I'm curious about the cellular setting "For limited Wi-Fi connectivity" - mine is defaulted to "don't use cellular data" and I wonder if this is affecting connectivity.

Last edited:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have seen this problem 3-4 times from getting the 928. Even though I have 5 bars of LTE at my home and all of the sudden, no data works, even with wi-fi, so sometimes I can go a few hours with out noticing it (as I just look at the tiles to see if I have new mail, twitter, facebook etc). Every data connection is dead. After a quick reboot of the phone everything returns back. Not sure if its changing towers, I have LTE coverage at work but, inbeween work and home, there are 3G only areas I go through. I have only noticed this at home but, I cant say for sure.

I was thinking about calling Nokia about this issue, as I could miss a important email because of this happening, and if your only just doing a quick check of your tiles, you wont even notice an issue till you try to do something else.

My software/firmware on my 928...
OS 8.0.10211.204
firmware: 1532.5957.1315.3021

it should be up to date

If i remember correctly, the L920 had this problem at one point and was fixed with an update. I imagine we will get a fix, but we may need to let Nokia know about the problem

Also, not sure if it was a typo or not, but most up to date firmware is 1318.3021

ltoddbarnette

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
928 windows 8.0
OS version 8.010211.204
It updated couple weeks ago but I have not really had to travel that much out of a 4g area last two weeks. I may still have the issue, I will know soon I hit the road again Sunday for two weeks.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
928 windows 8.0
OS version 8.010211.204
It updated couple weeks ago but I have not really had to travel that much out of a 4g area last two weeks. I may still have the issue, I will know soon I hit the road again Sunday for two weeks.

Interesting you had to update, it's supposed to come out of the box with that OS version

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo