Touch screen freeze/unresponsive LUMIA 920

majd_selbi

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
sighhhhhh
Hello, I've had my Lumia 920 for about a week, today i was playing with it a bit, and I changed the phone's region (from Jordan to the US, I wanted a broader app range), and it started updating some default apps (like Nokia maps...etc) which it didnt need to update while I was on the previous region, at the same time, the phone was connected to the charger. Anyway amidst all that, I received a Skype call (which was running in the back ground). and it all came crumbling down, the screen wont respond to anything. The buttons work, the screen doesn't, not all the time, like I try to unlock, it doesnt respond, I leave it for a few minutes, and I find it responding, a while later its not responding... this video shows how it is when its stuck
Nokia Lumia 920 Touch Screen Problem - YouTube
I tried several things, ended up doing a factory reset (both through the settings, and through the weird buttons combination), I didnt even restore contacts just to make sure that it is a completely fresh system... still the same thing

I was on the Nokia forum and it seems that many people are having this issue, no solutions are proposed on that forum...... if there anything, or did I just make the biggest mistake by switching to Nokia/Windows Phone??

UPDATE: Yup, hardware failure, which was a huge issue since I dont live where a ought the device from, and apparently Nikia's warraty is local only, they had to replace the motherboard or the CPU or something, its doing well now

Last edited:

thzman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Had exactly the same problems. I had to send my device in for repairs, but after they changed the "circuit board" (their words, the phone got a new IMEI) it's been running like a charm. So my advice is - get it replaced or get it repaired. This is a hardware fault. I must have done ten soft resets and four hard resets before I sent it in, without solving the problems.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_sweden_235 using Tapatalk

Sponge920

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 920 does exactly the same thing. It started out of the blue. I've tried the same things as you, too. It's less than 6 months old.

I guess it's time to return it. :(

mrbrown76

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello fellow windows phone user.

I too had to deal with an unresponsive screen on a Nokia 920 after doing the most current updates(10/16/13). What was happening is that after the phone was turned off then turned on, there was no problem with the screen. After the phone went to sleep, I would push the wake up button on the side, and the screen would become unresponsive.
I used the Nokia software updater for retail 4.1.0 to reinstall everything. All data and photos were lost, but the screen has become responsive once again. I had to use this software on a different Nokia 920 the day before (10/15).
If you do use this software be aware that you will lose everything on your phone. If you can, backup your photos to skydrive and make sure that your apps will re-download when you are back up and running. They will come back.
I hope this helps.

alpha128

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the info, I experiencing mine today and it was bad, it all happened after I updated new whatsapp app, and everything become sluggish, the next day boom, same **** as the video.

Tried soft or hard reset, no luck, Nokia care closed during weekend, and my sim card tray stuck, unable to jack out my sim card!

conan31709

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
hi to all.. my 920 is working just fine exept for the buttons ''o'' ''n'' ''k'' i cant pres any of the three. when i turn the phone in landscape mode... they work fine..???????? soft and hard reset and wipe everithing from the start several times did nothing.. any ideas.......no black screen no freeze no nothing..just 3 letters wont work on portrait mode

Last edited:

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
sighhhhhh
Hello, I've had my Lumia 920 for about a week, today i was playing with it a bit, and I changed the phone's region (from Jordan to the US, I wanted a broader app range), and it started updating some default apps (like Nokia maps...etc) which it didnt need to update while I was on the previous region, at the same time, the phone was connected to the charger. Anyway amidst all that, I received a Skype call (which was running in the back ground). and it all came crumbling down, the screen wont respond to anything. The buttons work, the screen doesn't, not all the time, like I try to unlock, it doesnt respond, I leave it for a few minutes, and I find it responding, a while later its not responding... this video shows how it is when its stuck
Nokia Lumia 920 Touch Screen Problem - YouTube
I tried several things, ended up doing a factory reset (both through the settings, and through the weird buttons combination), I didnt even restore contacts just to make sure that it is a completely fresh system... still the same thing

I was on the Nokia forum and it seems that many people are having this issue, no solutions are proposed on that forum...... if there anything, or did I just make the biggest mistake by switching to Nokia/Windows Phone??

UPDATE: Yup, hardware failure, which was a huge issue since I dont live where a ought the device from, and apparently Nikia's warraty is local only, they had to replace the motherboard or the CPU or something, its doing well now

I'm having similar problem but not because of the hardware fault. When I turn off the phone and turn it back on, I can touch back. Cannot do any other things except turning on/off the phone. This happens to me with the latest WP 8.1 Developer Preview. The previous WP 8.0 doesn't have this problem.

Guiller

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this after the 8.1 cyan update.

When I got the phone last year, I had this similar issue then it was fixed on I think the Lumia Black update. and now when I got the cyan, it came back so this must be a software issue this time.

Anyone have any idea how this could be fixed? Is there a way we could report this bug/defect or something?

Vitor Ferreira

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm also experiencing this after the 8.1 cyan update.

When I got the phone last year, I had this similar issue then it was fixed on I think the Lumia Black update. and now when I got the cyan, it came back so this must be a software issue this time.

Anyone have any idea how this could be fixed? Is there a way we could report this bug/defect or something?

Same problem. I got this problem after install cyan. Any solution?

Neilansh

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem but with my Lumia 720 on monday. The screen was unresponsive and non of the buttons worked. So I did the hard reset then also after unlocking it the same issue arose. Then again hard reset but this time my start screen was just blank. I couldn't open settings or could see any app or app list and cannot receive any text message or call. After that it said SD card error and many of my apps were unavailable. After half a hour it went to normal. Then i saw the missed calls text message from my service provider.

Vitor Ferreira

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I did a hard reset and after two weeks I got the same problem. It worked fine for 2 weeks and now I get this problem everyday.

It used to work fine on WP8. After 8.1 it started to happen. My girlfriend just boguht a L925 and she got the same touch problem.
Software issue? I think so!

Plz help!!

Brijesh Shetty

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
i tried this action
it worked.
hold the power off button (once between the volume and camera buttons) and keep touching the touch screen.
i tried this couple of times and screen started responding both the times.
previously i used to reset it (power+down vol buttons) but used to loose settings or game data.
let me know if this also works for you guys,,,

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I get this issue occasionally too. After a while it will work again but sometimes I just soft reset my device. Next time it happens, I'll try that suggestion^

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I think it's software related because I noticed it only happens when I open an app that uses the phone's GPS system. If I open any other apps my phone behaves normally but, as soon as I open an app that uses the GPS (Waze, Nokia Drive+, GPS Voice Navigation, etc...) my touch screen freezes within 3 minutes of opening it!

And that started after I updated my phone to CYAN. So, I think there is something in CYAN conflicting with the phone's GPS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb