920 or 820

Spedez

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Depends what is your budget and needs. I'd rather ponder between 720 and 925 but if I had to choose I would get 820 and get a newer model later on.

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Well it depends on how much money you have, because 920 is better than 820 in almost all aspects. The only pluses of 820 are removable back and a SD slot. 820 is also smaller. Your choice :D.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
920 is in almost all aspects is the better choice. Better front and back camera, bigger battery, more ROM at 32gb, higher resolution, bigger screen, Gorilla glass 2.

Only cons are no removable micro SD(This is a deal breaker for those who plan to make this their primary media device)
Battery is also not user replaceable.

I personally ended with an 822.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm really happy with my 820. My only gripe is slow(no) updates on at&t. My wife has the 920 & loves it, her complaint is running out of space. 32 gb for photos, videos & music is tight.
Trade-offs between them 920 is bigger & camera is better (more or less), but 820 has replaceable battery, SD card storage & replaceable covers (my wife is jealous).

Both are good phones.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

hydrogen3

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Expanding the memory via sd card will it increase the entire phone memory for apps or just storage?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Expanding the memory via sd card will it increase the entire phone memory for apps or just storage?

It only gets you more space for video, audio and stuff like PDF and office documents. You can't install apps to the SD card. The one exception is Nokia Drive, which allows you to install offline maps to the SD card (which is great as these are often quite large, > 1GB)

920 is in almost all aspects is the better choice.

because 920 is better than 820 in almost all aspects

I disagree with such statements. IMHO the first consideration should be the internal hardware (1.5GHz CPU and 1GB RAM, etc), and for both the L820 and L920, these are absolutely identical.

Based on your choices, which includes only the older 1GB models, I'll assume you are a price conscious mobile gamer. If that doesn't describe you, then you need to rethink your selection.

The main reasons to get L820 over the L920 were expandable storage, the slightly smaller and lighter build, preference for AMOLED screens, and price. If you are deciding based on any of the last three criteria, then Nokia now has much better options. The only remaining reason to get a L820 today, is if you want the high-end specs (1.5GHz CPU and 1GB RAM) and expandable storage.

The only reason to consider a L920 today is price. It is cheaper than the L925 and the L928 which are the better options. The main thing the 920 has going for it over the L820 is the higher resolution display (which as mentioned isn't necessarily better if you prefer AMOLED) and the camera. If you don't know whether you prefer AMOLED over LED, then you need to look at both so you can decide for yourself which is better for you.

Personally, I'd prefer the L720 over the L820 (looks better, feels better, lasts forever on a charge, also has expandable storage and is cheaper). I'd also prefer the L925 over the L920 (because I much prefer AMOLED and I also appreciate the smaller/lighter build).

Edit: At similar price points, if you have no display technology preference, you don't need expandable storage, and if you don't mind the heft, definitely get the L920.

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I originally wanted an 820, but because it wasn't available through T-Mobile, I got an 810 instead. I loved that phone but had issues with the whole "Other" storage and the fact that T-Mobile EOL'd it after a measly five months. I have since gotten a Rogers 920 and love it. I might have preferred waiting until the 925 came out with T-Mobile, but I would definitely recommend a 920 over an 820 based on the internal storage, Gorilla Glass and better build quality in general.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely recommend a 920 over an 820 based on the internal storage, Gorilla Glass and better build quality in general.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Nokia's storage app solves that problem you had with the L820's 16GB of storage?

I'm also sceptical that the L820 not having Gorilla Glass is much of an issue, as the 820 also comes with hardened glass. It's basically the same thing, just without the brand name to it.

Build quality... yeah... absolutely agree.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
for me, it was a choice not regarding the price. I chose the 820 because of the smaller screen (and OLED!!), and the SD card. I currently have 55GB music.

darthcircuit

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One thing I will give the 820 over the 920 is the digitizer. It may not be gorilla glass, but it is sooooooo much easier to replace. There is no glue to fiddle with or anything. just unscrew the case, put the new glass on, and screw it back together. it takes like 5 minutes.

the only things i would prefer to have on the 820 that is already on the 920 are: more onboard storage. (8gb goes way too quick), battery life, and the camera. The 820's camera is still better than any point and shoot i've ever owned, but the 920 will just completely blow it out of the water. It would be nice to have a better front facing cam sometimes as well, but i never skype on my phone so it doesnt matter to me.

Some people mention the screen being better on the 920, but i really cant tell that much difference. the screen on the 820 looks fantastic. The black levels and the color quality look better than the 920 to me. My brother, who has a 920, has told me he is jealous of the screen on my 820 a few times.

It's nice having the sd card slot and removable back cover as well. If i get bored with my phone, I can just change the color. It's also nice to be able to replace the battery if it dies.

hydrogen3

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've decided against both L820 or the L920. Every AT&T rep I have spoke with told me to "avoid any windows based phone like the plague." I have talked to several and all at corporate stores.

I thank you all for your responses.

Reguards

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Nothing really, but i wouldn't put too much faith in most reps tbh. Although if another OS does what you want then that's a good thing. I have the 920 and its easily the best phone ive ever used. Admittedly the battery can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but other than that i have no complaints. Oh wait, it could do with SD support, might have to upgrade :)

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I've decided against both L820 or the L920. Every AT&T rep I have spoke with told me to "avoid any windows based phone like the plague." I have talked to several and all at corporate stores.

I thank you all for your responses.

Reguards

Gotta love the AT&T reps, must have been told to sell more iPhones this month....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't it be fair to say that Nokia's storage app solves that problem you had with the L820's 16GB of storage?

I'm also sceptical that the L820 not having Gorilla Glass is much of an issue, as the 820 also comes with hardened glass. It's basically the same thing, just without the brand name to it.

Build quality... yeah... absolutely agree.

I used the 810 before I got my 920, not an 820. It also of course has only 8GB of internal storage. Personally, I didn't have too much of a problem (unlike many others) because my "Other" stayed around 1.5GB. Still, that's higher than what my 920 has. I think anyone who doesn't care about having a ton of apps and music on their phone would probably fare just fine with an 820, though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I used the 810 before I got my 920, not an 820. It also of course has only 8GB of internal storage. Personally, I didn't have too much of a problem (unlike many others) because my "Other" stayed around 1.5GB. Still, that's higher than what my 920 has. I think anyone who doesn't care about having a ton of apps and music on their phone would probably fare just fine with an 820, though.

oh gosh darnit (yes, my curse words are outdated), misread the model number. Thanks for clearing that up! ;-)

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Buy an unlocked 520/521 and use it for 2-3 months , If u like experience , get a new Lumia (which would launch around this september with Newer OS).

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Buy an unlocked 520/521 and use it for 2-3 months , If u like experience , get a new Lumia (which would launch around this september with Newer OS).

Excellent advice. It is time you use a WP and see it for yourself. If you dont have the budget to experiment, I suggest just go to a store and check all the features. The only issue I have with my 820 is the battery gets sucked up in no time. ANd yes, the 'Other' phone storage is a blind spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes