07-25-2013 06:17 PM
80 1234
tools
    The guy at the Microsoft store told me last week that this update is coming on July 11, 2013. Not sure how accurate his info is though.
    06-30-2013 05:47 PM
    I don't expect anything!...MS seems rather unbothered with WP. MS really do need to keep-up as Android phones have surpassed WP in all nearly all areas esp. with things like notifications, media functions and use, reminders/calendar/user interface and shortcuts, maps (realtime alternative routes, latitude, streetview which is integrated within maps, places that actually show reviews and photos of places listed and esp good with small businesses and places that are so lacking on W8 maps), camera functions and options, and even app management - where WP tiles can become clutter, confusing, even a memory test to remember where the tile was places(esp small). As for iPhone, the soon to be released iOS 7, which is looking very polished and clean yet adding more new features and improvements !..W8 really needs a make over!
    wrong about so much, but I'm not going to indulge in an argument with an iFan who has zero interest on Windows Phone except to come around to be negative.
    danj210 and BenGutt like this.
    06-30-2013 05:57 PM
    I really hope they get the random, runaway battery drain under control for starters. Besides that, I'd also like to see app close buttons instead of backing out of stuff, like IE. This appears to be related to certain websites (like WPC for example), but the appearing/disappearing keyboard thing pisses me off, a bunch!
    06-30-2013 07:16 PM
    I want the Other storage bug to be fixed and for a Rotation Lock to be added. I'd hardly classify these as features ​though.
    07-01-2013 12:36 AM
    Have used iphone and SG3 - W8 lacks in sooooooo many departments! You can dig your head in the sand and except MS Windows phones are great - but to me, and others, they lack some very Key Functions and even Basic smartphone features. To call me a fan simply because I critical of W8 phones, which are falling behind in features and functions, is not being a fan of a certain manufacture. If MS wants to keep hold of its pathetic 3% - it better wake-up listen to W8p faults!
    bfisher01 likes this.
    07-01-2013 03:54 PM
    Apart from closing apps using task manager android offers way to clear RAM which is required for WP devices to save the battery.
    Apps on WP are suspended in the background so it seems to me like they wouldn't take up any extra battery until you pull them up.
    07-02-2013 12:06 AM
    Fix for the 'Other' storage pretty please?! I can't tolerate it anymore..
    Other storage comes from the apps you have and use and information on your device like contacts and emails etc. Don't think they can fix that, its up to you to what you don't want.

And I really wouldn't care about a notification light, if I get a notification I'll hear it or feel. If I'm away from it I'll check it which the double tap upcoming Nokia feature will be amazing to me. Also keep I'm mind that the 920 is powerful and will use the battery it has.
    07-02-2013 12:08 AM
    I really hope they get the random, runaway battery drain under control for starters. Besides that, I'd also like to see app close buttons instead of backing out of stuff, like IE. This appears to be related to certain websites (like WPC for example), but the appearing/disappearing keyboard thing pisses me off, a bunch!
    Disappearing keyboard?!?! This hasn't been updated to you yet? What phone do you have? This got updated a long time ago I remember.
    07-02-2013 12:19 AM
    WP needs parallax to catch up with iOS 7.
    07-02-2013 12:26 AM
    Huh?
    07-02-2013 01:42 AM
    I've seen iOS 7 and the changes seem pretty cosmetic. It doesn't seem an adequate response to WP and Android. Shame really.
    danj210 likes this.
    07-02-2013 01:54 AM
    I'm looking froward to Datasense and the camera improvements that come with the Amber update from Nokia.

As for the issue of being able to close apps, I've taken the advice of some people on the forums and allow the apps to tombstone naturally. I've noticed no difference in performance of either the phone or the battery and like not thinking about it.
    maverick786us likes this.
    07-02-2013 02:05 AM
    Wallet sinc bug fix. And datasense.
    07-02-2013 02:12 AM
    I don't expect anything!...MS seems rather unbothered with WP. MS really do need to keep-up as Android phones have surpassed WP in all nearly all areas esp. with things like notifications, media functions and use, reminders/calendar/user interface and shortcuts, maps (realtime alternative routes, latitude, streetview which is integrated within maps, places that actually show reviews and photos of places listed and esp good with small businesses and places that are so lacking on W8 maps), camera functions and options, and even app management - where WP tiles can become clutter, confusing, even a memory test to remember where the tile was places(esp small). As for iPhone, the soon to be released iOS 7, which is looking very polished and clean yet adding more new features and improvements !..W8 really needs a make over!
    It's very hard to reply to your list of shortcomings in WP8, because they are as far as I can see, unsubstantiated and in many cases just wrong. Local Scout will give you reviews and ratings of places or local businesses. Wp tiles becoming a clutter is a joke compared to the disaster area that is Android, which like iOS, is still a dead interface. As much as I'd like a notification centre, the need isn't as great because WP has live tiles; I only want to be able to tell which notification was the most recent one if I missed it.

While I do want Microsoft to continue to develop Windows Phone, I don't want them to turn it into Android. As it is WP is distinctive and better suited to the needs of the consumer. For instance, I work a rotating 9 day shift and use the calender - with a little help from Outlook.com - to manage my shift pattern. My colleagues on the other hand, either use an app on iOS or Android, or a paper diary to tell which days they have free. It's clear that the calenders on iOS and Android are inadequate to meet the needs of the many millions of people who work shift patterns across the world. The only things missing for me in the calender are a week view and the ability to repeat an appointment after x number of days, instead of weekly or monthly.

I have found app management a non-issue and simply allow apps to tombstone natually without having to close them. After Windows Mobile and iOS, this went against the grain, but now I'm used to it is so much easier. I simply don't keep hitting backspace and things carry on without any fuss.

Finally, I think a lot of the frustration people like you feel is that we keep hearing rumoured dates for when updates are coming and the dates pass without incident when in fact Microsoft haven't given us a date. I think it would be better if MS actually said when they are releasing an update and then we'd know any delay would be down to the carriers.
    steppyhen likes this.
    07-02-2013 02:41 AM
    I recently saw this quick dirty camera comparision between Lumia 920 and 925. The daylight pictures look way clear for Lumia 925. Do we expect a similar kind of perfomance with Lumia 920 with GDR2 update? 925 has only one more layer of lense compared to 920.
    07-02-2013 03:01 AM
    Sadly I'm expecting very little, if MS were going any slower with windows phone they'd be removing features.
    boxa72 likes this.
    07-02-2013 03:10 AM
    New features are great but I'd prefer they concentrate on making the existing ones better (better functionality in Office for one) and maybe a little bit more flexability in the way of notifications. I did just recently get an updated version of their Facebook app which FINALLY is making progress. I can actually "share" posts now. I know there are other FB apps but most of them have a tendancy to lag at times when scrolling. Oh, and lest we forget, a pull down bar for common settings like Android (and soon to be iPhone) would be nice.
    07-02-2013 09:40 AM
    I expect minor enhancements but a ton of stability fixes along with the Other storage issue fix. I don't have a ton of issues with WP8 but WP7 was rock solid and I just can't say that about WP8 yet.
    07-02-2013 09:48 AM
    Expectations = None.

Its hard to be dissappointed when you we not expecting anything in the first place. In the end we will get what we get and I will make myself happy with that.
    boxa72 likes this.
    07-02-2013 10:22 AM
    I want to say something clever. Moreover I want to say my expectations are realistic. But neither will be the case here.

I expect few, yet major, cosmetic and optional changes. Sure, that video that leaked was a fake, but the right idea was inlaid therein.
    I expect:
    - A taste of a change coming with dealing with my Livetiles.
    - A strong notification center with a unique WP twist.
    - A quick settings menu for WiFi, Bluetooth etc.
    - A better set of organization options for the app menu (sort-by?)
    - A greater set of controls for volume and audio.
    - A better set of organization options for the game menu. (Seriously, people get on that we don't have apps, what we don't have is easier organization now, scroooooolling through that list for a game you just installed, realizing you forgot the name... did it start with an S? or F?)
    - And more cross app speaking. (call a contact from the messaging app)
    - Other minor tweaks (including under the hood improvements for speed and stability)

Stuff I would never expect, but would want to.
    - More OS Access.
    - Cut the crud on the unified storage and give me an option for free-for-all management (HA! This won't happen, for both good and not so good reasons).
    - More/better built in dev tools and animations.

Sigh, lofty wants, no? And there're still more minor annoyances that beg for refinement as deep as the looks. In any case, these are my expectations, these are my wants.
    07-02-2013 10:48 AM
    High expectations lead to disappointment.
    Twitter@Firas_MD and boxa72 like this.
    07-02-2013 11:14 AM
    Other storage comes from the apps you have and use and information on your device like contacts and emails etc. Don't think they can fix that, its up to you to what you don't want.

And I really wouldn't care about a notification light, if I get a notification I'll hear it or feel. If I'm away from it I'll check it which the double tap upcoming Nokia feature will be amazing to me. Also keep I'm mind that the 920 is powerful and will use the battery it has.
    Have you even researched this issue? If you did you would not have made that comment.

I would like to see the other storage issue fixed, and have separate volumn control for music, ringer, and notifications.
    maverick786us likes this.
    07-02-2013 12:07 PM
    I don't understand the need to defend Microsoft. They are behind Android in functions and features and directly share some of that blame. While I'd say the WP8 OS is more robust and has more features than iOS, the app ecosystem more than makes up for the shortcomings of iOS.

This is why I cannot ever recommend WP8 to anyone that sells real estate or even plans to sell real estate. Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Android, and iOS all gave support to open lock boxes with blue tooth. For some reason, Microsoft won't fix the issue despite the dev trying to support their app for WP8.

One of the reasons I bought WP was for local scout which I thought was a killer feature at the time. Turned out to be a dud. I live in a major US metropolitan area but somehow local scout thinks the greatest attraction is a dry cleaner 7 miles away from me and a dive restaurant that went out of business 2 years ago. It finds 2-3 reviews for popular restaurants that seem to have 200+ reviews on Yelp. Rates places that have a Zagat rating of 22+ as a 2 star destination because of some obscure review from 2003. Needs a lot of work.

Yeah, I see requests for a notification center but I don't understand why it's needed with live tiles.

WP7 sucked even after nodo. Mango made it competitive and then it stalled until WP8. Finally about to get FM radio back. No other way to put it, MS clearly has windows phone on the back burner and shows little promise of changing it.
    boxa72 likes this.
    07-02-2013 12:40 PM
    - And more cross app speaking. (call a contact from the messaging app)

I get Your drift, but really ...

Click the name on the top of the screen, then click call....

Also agree that they should be a lot more ambitious, but WP is already quite capable as it is.

My biggest concern is the store app. They really need to work on that. We have 160.000 apps, but if it wasn't for WPCentral I would never discover anything new...

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    07-02-2013 01:10 PM
    I'm just hoping we get datasense, a notification center, and some sort of power manager. Android has a really great feature to figure out which apps are draining resources, WP should have that too. Really tired of having my phone die in the afternoon once or twice a week for no apparent reason.

Other than that, Microsoft still needs to light a fire under app developers, as their are too many missing apps, to many apps with missing features, and many categories where the best WP8 options fall well short of what can be found for iOS or Android.
    07-03-2013 08:14 AM
80 1234