What are you expectations from GDR2 Update?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I really hope GDR2 fixes this problem. If it doesn't I think Microsoft should pack it in on Windows Phone. It is so totally unacceptable and an embarrassment for them.

all u have to do is ask someone with a 925 as that ships with both GDR2 and Amber firmware but ur 100% right!! If they haven't fixed it by the time the 925 comes to Aussie I'm buying a HTC1 n I'll come back wen the ecosystem matures (assuming it ever does).

eurochick47

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd really love it if the Windows logo becomes a notification light. I think I heard something about the 928 being able to do this, but only when the phone needs an update or while it's charging or something. I'd want it for apps like e-mail/sms/facebook/being able to find my phone in the dark/etc. Seems like such a waste to wake up the screen every few minutes while I'm listening to music to see if I have any notifications. So I'm expecting some sort of notification light. Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied!

Would also really appreciate Data Sense, but I'm trying to not get my hopes up for that one. I have a feeling Rogers will thwart that from happening somehow...

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't expect anything!...MS seems rather unbothered with WP. MS really do need to keep-up as Android phones have surpassed WP in all nearly all areas esp. with things like notifications, media functions and use, reminders/calendar/user interface and shortcuts, maps (realtime alternative routes, latitude, streetview which is integrated within maps, places that actually show reviews and photos of places listed and esp good with small businesses and places that are so lacking on W8 maps), camera functions and options, and even app management - where WP tiles can become clutter, confusing, even a memory test to remember where the tile was places(esp small). As for iPhone, the soon to be released iOS 7, which is looking very polished and clean yet adding more new features and improvements !..W8 really needs a make over!

wrong about so much, but I'm not going to indulge in an argument with an iFan who has zero interest on Windows Phone except to come around to be negative.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I really hope they get the random, runaway battery drain under control for starters. Besides that, I'd also like to see app close buttons instead of backing out of stuff, like IE. This appears to be related to certain websites (like WPC for example), but the appearing/disappearing keyboard thing pisses me off, a bunch!

rcasey

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I want the Other storage bug to be fixed and for a Rotation Lock to be added. I'd hardly classify these as features ​though.

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have used iphone and SG3 - W8 lacks in sooooooo many departments! You can dig your head in the sand and except MS Windows phones are great - but to me, and others, they lack some very Key Functions and even Basic smartphone features. To call me a fan simply because I critical of W8 phones, which are falling behind in features and functions, is not being a fan of a certain manufacture. If MS wants to keep hold of its pathetic 3% - it better wake-up listen to W8p faults!

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Fix for the 'Other' storage pretty please?! I can't tolerate it anymore..

Other storage comes from the apps you have and use and information on your device like contacts and emails etc. Don't think they can fix that, its up to you to what you don't want.

And I really wouldn't care about a notification light, if I get a notification I'll hear it or feel. If I'm away from it I'll check it which the double tap upcoming Nokia feature will be amazing to me. Also keep I'm mind that the 920 is powerful and will use the battery it has.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I really hope they get the random, runaway battery drain under control for starters. Besides that, I'd also like to see app close buttons instead of backing out of stuff, like IE. This appears to be related to certain websites (like WPC for example), but the appearing/disappearing keyboard thing pisses me off, a bunch!

Disappearing keyboard?!?! This hasn't been updated to you yet? What phone do you have? This got updated a long time ago I remember.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking froward to Datasense and the camera improvements that come with the Amber update from Nokia.

As for the issue of being able to close apps, I've taken the advice of some people on the forums and allow the apps to tombstone naturally. I've noticed no difference in performance of either the phone or the battery and like not thinking about it.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't expect anything!...MS seems rather unbothered with WP. MS really do need to keep-up as Android phones have surpassed WP in all nearly all areas esp. with things like notifications, media functions and use, reminders/calendar/user interface and shortcuts, maps (realtime alternative routes, latitude, streetview which is integrated within maps, places that actually show reviews and photos of places listed and esp good with small businesses and places that are so lacking on W8 maps), camera functions and options, and even app management - where WP tiles can become clutter, confusing, even a memory test to remember where the tile was places(esp small). As for iPhone, the soon to be released iOS 7, which is looking very polished and clean yet adding more new features and improvements !..W8 really needs a make over!

It's very hard to reply to your list of shortcomings in WP8, because they are as far as I can see, unsubstantiated and in many cases just wrong. Local Scout will give you reviews and ratings of places or local businesses. Wp tiles becoming a clutter is a joke compared to the disaster area that is Android, which like iOS, is still a dead interface. As much as I'd like a notification centre, the need isn't as great because WP has live tiles; I only want to be able to tell which notification was the most recent one if I missed it.

While I do want Microsoft to continue to develop Windows Phone, I don't want them to turn it into Android. As it is WP is distinctive and better suited to the needs of the consumer. For instance, I work a rotating 9 day shift and use the calender - with a little help from Outlook.com - to manage my shift pattern. My colleagues on the other hand, either use an app on iOS or Android, or a paper diary to tell which days they have free. It's clear that the calenders on iOS and Android are inadequate to meet the needs of the many millions of people who work shift patterns across the world. The only things missing for me in the calender are a week view and the ability to repeat an appointment after x number of days, instead of weekly or monthly.

I have found app management a non-issue and simply allow apps to tombstone natually without having to close them. After Windows Mobile and iOS, this went against the grain, but now I'm used to it is so much easier. I simply don't keep hitting backspace and things carry on without any fuss.

Finally, I think a lot of the frustration people like you feel is that we keep hearing rumoured dates for when updates are coming and the dates pass without incident when in fact Microsoft haven't given us a date. I think it would be better if MS actually said when they are releasing an update and then we'd know any delay would be down to the carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99