Mount pics....
DSC01308_zps25b8ddc7.jpg

DSC01306_zps157dbf60.jpg

DSC01305_zps47b1fa6e.jpg

DSC01307_zps16b0f199.jpg

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the pictures. I think I'm gonna have to order one. I have aero bars but hopefully I can find a spot. Once the Amber update comes out it will be pretty easy to double tap the screen to wake it up if you want to skip a track or something if you're listening to music.

Mount pics....

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually, for those who bought this, what are your thoughts on the strap piece? I read some Amazon reviews and while people love the holder, there are many complaints about the strap being too difficult to tighten. One person suggested buying the X-Grip Holder by itself and also getting the U-Bolt mount. (He was suggesting it for a motorcycle, but obviously the same could apply for a bicycle.

EDIT: It also looks like the one you guys got has a 3/4" ball while the U-Bolt is a 1" ball. Probably not a big deal but if you got the vehicle mount maybe that X-Grip wouldn't fit into that?

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I got all 1" ball. The 1" ball u-bolt (came with 2 different size U's and a plastic insert), the 1" cup short bar, and x-grip with 1" ball.

I set a reminder to take pics tonight so you can see mine. and I think I have the larger U bolt still sitting around too.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Never used a case or screen protector on any phone. Never had a scratch....

I haven't either. But if I was strapping it to a bike I DEFINITELY would. You hit a curb & it could easily get knocked out.

Risky activity calls for risk prevention measures imo. But to each his own.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't either. But if I was strapping it to a bike I DEFINITELY would. You hit a curb & it could easily get knocked out.

Risky activity calls for risk prevention measures imo. But to each his own.

Well.. been riding for several years, never had a phone come out. But... I am probably pushing my luck :eek:)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok, thanks for those picture, Funky Cricket. Of course now I have two choices and I don't know which one to make. :)

I could go with the strap model that nunyazz has with the 3/4" ball. Overall it's more compact, but with the 3/4" ball I don't know if they make car mounts and stuff for that size.

The plus to Funky Cricket's system is that it could be more universal with other RAM products, and the U-Bolt seems more "solid." However it looks larger overall.

Sometimes I hate choices. :smile:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
it does stick up some, but you can just unscrew the mount and move it to your car/bike/boat/spy jet helicoptor. the strap mount isn't easily removable. It "pops" into the socket and is supposed to stay there, that is why I spent a bit more money on the modular pieces. That and for trail riding I thought the u-bolt would be more sturdy for off road.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, thanks for those picture, Funky Cricket. Of course now I have two choices and I don't know which one to make. :)

I could go with the strap model that nunyazz has with the 3/4" ball. Overall it's more compact, but with the 3/4" ball I don't know if they make car mounts and stuff for that size.

The plus to Funky Cricket's system is that it could be more universal with other RAM products, and the U-Bolt seems more "solid." However it looks larger overall.

Sometimes I hate choices. :smile:

I don't think my version is portable. If you need that, go with the larger version.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I went with the Funky Cricket version. It was a little more $$$ but we'll see. It should be arriving today and I will test it out Thursday and Friday with several thousand of my closest friends on RAGBRAI... the greatest bike event around. :)

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I went with the Funky Cricket version. It was a little more $$$ but we'll see. It should be arriving today and I will test it out Thursday and Friday with several thousand of my closest friends on RAGBRAI... the greatest bike event around. :)

haha I work in davenport, IA. I've always wanted to do this maybe next year!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
haha I work in davenport, IA. I've always wanted to do this maybe next year!

You should really do it. This will be my 12th year. I don't go all week every year especially since kid #2 came along 4 years ago. The first time can be a little crazy when you realize you're on the road with 15,000+ other bikers. It's a blast though.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
keep us updated. I've been liking mine, but haven't been out as much as I've wanted, 95+ degrees makes it hard to bike when you are as out of shape as I am :p

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
keep us updated. I've been liking mine, but haven't been out as much as I've wanted, 95+ degrees makes it hard to bike when you are as out of shape as I am :p

Will do. I have back to back 50+ mile days, should be a good test. I don't have a case and the 928 is slickish, so I'm a little worried about it sliding out, but I think I will be fine. I'm pretty excited to test it out.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I was riding a potholed 2 track, it didn't budge, no case on mine. It seems a bit off center to not press the volume/power, but I haven't had one issue yet.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
No issues at all on my two days of riding. It rules. Like the others have said, because the buttons are all on one side you can't mount the phone centered on the grip. Even did some texting while riding.... haha.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte