Lumia 920 vs 928 Dimensions for bike mount

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I would not trust something like that with a different phone no matter what. It is specially molded for a certain phone! Certainly there has to be a universal / clamp down option available.

The thickness is the only measurement I wouldn't care about...the height and rounded corners vs hard corners are what would tell me it was completely a no.

From GSMarena:
920: 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 mm, (5.13 x 2.79 x 0.42 in)
928: 133 x 68.9 x 10.1 mm, (5.24 x 2.71 x 0.40 in)

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yah, looking at it more, it wouldn't work. I just want something that would do landscape in case I wanted to grab a video while riding.

Most of the universal ones are portrait only, or at least I would only trust them as a portrait holder. Plus biking off road can be rough, but I've had phone work their way out of my pocket and I like to skips songs, blah blah blah, you know all the reason I would want one. hehe.

I'll keep looking I guess. I'll post if I find anything.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I got one of these a few years ago from Woot.com for like $40. It locks into its mount very well and never falls off. I keep my phone in my hydration pack and can control the music (play, stop, next, answer calls) from the device itself. Doesnt help if you want to watch a video, but at least this way you know your phone is safe in the backpack. They dont make these anymore, but there are similar products out there.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
yah, those kinds are all over place, but I was hoping for something that would lock it in more, I have miles of trails near me I hope to ride more. I would also maybe take some videos of my rides, so I would also like a landscape option. Thanks for the tips though, the search continues!

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to look at that one. I didn't see when I searched. I'll have a screen protector soon, so the rubber bands shouldn't hurt anything. the zip thing looks neat.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
After reviewing, I ordered a kit for a u-bolt 1" ball, the x-grip, and an aluminum short bar. Should be exactly what I want. Was 50 total. But that RAM system looks really nice. I'll take some pics and update everyone once I get everything in.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
wow, the RAM stuff is nice. I got it installed over the weekend and just rode around the driveway and yard, but my phone won't be going anywhere. I didn't get a chance to ride due to holiday weekend activities, and it is supposed to rain all week, but I'll update as soon as I can get a ride in. Expensive, but I think the modular-ness of it will be nice.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Pics are here:

edit: working on pics, shows too much info from skydrive. seeing if I can remove some of the meta data.

If the rain holds off I should get a ride in tonight (on the roads, too out of shape to hit the trials quite yet).
Now if I hadn't lost my BT headphones... hehe.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Update 2: first ride.

all I can say is wow. I did 3 miles of road, and about .7 miles of single lane seasonal dirt road, and the phone didn't budge.
I use Route Tracker ( A route tracker. Jog, bike, ski or drive | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) ) and it seems to do a good job of mapping my route.

It's easy to adjust, but "finding center" on the spring loaded clamps is difficult. The phone will rotate a bit in the range of the springs, but not too badly, definitely with in an acceptable margin for me.

MobileVortex: I have previously had Plantronics Voyager 855 Plantronics | Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo Bluetooth Headset | Calls & Music though I'm not sure I want to spend even more money. Lost my last pair in O'Hare on a business trip. Been mad at myself ever since. I'm just using a wired Samsung headset for now, cost me 4 bucks on amazon and they sound good enough for riding a bike.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I ended up with the ram : RAM EZ-Strap
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...83066045049056055045085078055085/Default.aspx
I like it, easy to install and stays put.
I have been through several BT headsets, spending several hundred dollars. The nicest ones I've used were the JayBird BlueBuds X Sport. Bluetooth Headphones : Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Sports : Android Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones : iPhone Bluetooth Headphones : iPod Bluetooth Headphones : Jaybirdgear.com
They are very cool but expensive. I used them for about a week and found that they were just a tad too heavy in my ears. While they never completely fell out of my ears, they would dislodge enough for me to have to reset them often.
I ended up going back to my old faithful Sony MW-600's. MW600 | Stereo Bluetooth? Headset Review | Sony Store
Awesome sound, cheap (under $40 online) and light in the ears. This one does have an additional controller module, but it is very light and clips to your shirt. It also allows for easy FF/RW and volume control.

I will upload some pics of my mount this afternoon.

Last edited:

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I saw the strap mount, but wasn't sure if it would handle the trail riding. I'm fat and out of shape right now (seriously, like 60 lbs overweight) but hope to be back on the trails by end of summer and wanted something that could handle some bumps and jumps.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Does the RAM stay stable or does it start to rotate on it's own? There are some reviews on Amazon that say it starts to wobble and rotate.. and that was just the car mount reviews.

The RAM is modular, right? So if you buy the kit you posted, all you need for the car is a new base and the holder just pops onto that, right?

I ended up with the ram : RAM EZ-Strap
RAM EZ-Strap
I like it, easy to install and stays put.
I have been through several BT headsets, spending several hundred dollars. The nicest ones I've used were the JayBird BlueBuds X Sport. Bluetooth Headphones : Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Sports : Android Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones : iPhone Bluetooth Headphones : iPod Bluetooth Headphones : Jaybirdgear.com
They are very cool but expensive. I used them for about a week and found that they were just a tad too heavy in my ears. While they never completely fell out of my ears, they would dislodge enough for me to have to reset them often.
I ended up going back to my old faithful Sony MW-600's. MW600 | Stereo Bluetooth? Headset Review | Sony Store
Awesome sound, cheap (under $40 online) and light in the ears. This one does have an additional controller module, but it is very light and clips to your shirt. It also allows for easy FF/RW and volume control.

I will upload some pics of my mount this afternoon.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have much moving unless I was trying to change the volume, but it does rotate back and forth (or up/down in landscape) a bit, but nothing too bad. The tongs/fingers/holder tabs split on springs, so the whole spring assembly can rotate, I found if I just center it once, it works good and doesn't move much.

Yes they are modular, so 10 more bucks for a window or dash mount and four turns of the mount screw and I can move the whole thing. Seems neat. I like it a lot so far, but I've only had one ride.

I saw that one of the strap or u-bolt mounts actually attached to a ball, and didn't have a ball on the x-grip; I got separate modular pieces, the u-bolt with ball, the aluminum short arm, and the x-grip with 1" ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire