Quick tip on colour calibration - sliders

paddylaz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So don't flame/mock me for what might be a very obvious or basic suggestion - but if you're like me you might find the saturation/white balance sliders a welcome, but daunting addition to the 925. After all, what is the 'correct' calibration? Nokia advertises that you can set it to what matches your tastes..but if you're anything like me perhaps you want it set to the most accurate calibration possible.

Anyway, long story short, apologies apple haters but the macbook pro/iphone 5 default calibrations are very very good. In fact, a quick search round the internet will confirm they take calibration a LOT more seriously than other companies/phone models - just take a look at the xda nexus 4 forums for just how badly some phones get it wrong. There's a lot of hate for apple on XDA but even they praise the calibrations on their displays.

I find a good method is to use a macbook/iphone to go onto a site with distinctive colours - A good one is the yellow used for breaking news stories on SKY NEWS or the red on CNN.COM. Or I guess just a colour test website. Put the phone up to the screen and experiment until they match perfectly. You can use the basic whites of most websites like the google background to set the wb, and then use one of the websites I mentioned earlier for saturation.

Obviously if you don't mind going into the apple store you can do it there if you dont own any apple stuff. I know many of you will hate apple but they take calibration more seriously than anyone else.

I'm only bothering to write this as I've learnt that you can't trust your eyes. What I thought looked good was in reality a urine-warm look when compared to the whites on a macbook/iphone 5's ips display. So I adjusted it. Now all is looking great and that unfortunate photo of me in a yellow jumper no longer makes me look like I took a 2-week trip to Chernobyl.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12