I'm scared of buying the 925 (US)

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm scared of buying the 925 and getting screwed by T-Mobile :cry: My sister has the 810 and she hates it because of the "Other" storage issue (She actually loves the phone, she says its the best cellphone she has ever had, but because of the lack of updates shes frustrated)... Do you guys think this will also plague the T-Mobile 925? Or does it come with the "Storage Check" app preloaded? I wouldn't want this to happen after shelling out on a $570 phone without expandable storage...

Share your thoughts.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The pre-installed Storage app should take care of that "Other" space, although you should definitely try it out in the store and see, if there is the app on the phone. I hope that all the other Lumias are getting the app as an update...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Well it is disappointing there is no 32GB, but I think as this is a flagship windows phone device, it will be supported well. I can understand why you are a bit scared though.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Nah, you shouldn't be worried. Storage Check will undoubtedly already be in the phone. It's got more updated software, so even if it's not already baked into Settings, you should still be able to install Lumia Storage Check from the store.

gfiz

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
yea, I'm the same boat, love my 810, not happy with T-mo basically forgetting about it 5 months after launch. Already thinking I should just ride out the contract and switch carriers.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. I am using a Rogers unlocked 920 that I love, but I had some very bad luck with the casing, which is badly cracked. I am torn between just replacing it via Negri Electronics or waiting for the 925. It's not so much the storage issue (paired with SkyDrive, I can live with 16 GB of storage), but I am really worried about Tmo's utter lack of support for Windows Phone. I keep thinking back to the day I bought my first Windows phone, an 8X--I actually bought two, one for my daughter and one for me. The store rep had to drive to another store to get a second phone to sell to me. That should have been a huge red flag :crying:. As it was, I ended up switching to the Lumia in a month (why? Because Tmo did not carry the 920...of course).

So I don't know. I think my phone is so gorgeous, but I am really worried a new one would crack the way this one did (it wasn't even a bad fall, just the angle I guess) and that would be terrible. A lighter phone might be better in that regard. My heart says Lumia 920 but my head says 925...but my head also says "Tmo is going to screw you somehow if you buy that phone.". And this coming from a long term customer. I used to LOVE Tmo...not so much anymore.

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha I guess I wasn't the only one nervous about this! I guess we should just go to the T-Mobile stores and give it a good test-drive... I really miss the "updateability" of Windows Mobile, you didn't have to worry at all about your carrier due to custom roms, every hiccup a dev (or chef) used to just fix hahaha... I miss that.

:grin:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. I am using a Rogers unlocked 920 that I love, but I had some very bad luck with the casing, which is badly cracked. I am torn between just replacing it via Negri Electronics or waiting for the 925. It's not so much the storage issue (paired with SkyDrive, I can live with 16 GB of storage), but I am really worried about Tmo's utter lack of support for Windows Phone. I keep thinking back to the day I bought my first Windows phone, an 8X--I actually bought two, one for my daughter and one for me. The store rep had to drive to another store to get a second phone to sell to me. That should have been a huge red flag :crying:. As it was, I ended up switching to the Lumia in a month (why? Because Tmo did not carry the 920...of course).

So I don't know. I think my phone is so gorgeous, but I am really worried a new one would crack the way this one did (it wasn't even a bad fall, just the angle I guess) and that would be terrible. A lighter phone might be better in that regard. My heart says Lumia 920 but my head says 925...but my head also says "Tmo is going to screw you somehow if you buy that phone.". And this coming from a long term customer. I used to LOVE Tmo...not so much anymore.

Why not just get your 920 repaired? It is cheaper than buying a new phone outright...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, be very, very afraid...t-mobile's new slogan is " if it doesn't sell well, EOL it."....lol (slightly)

Seriously though, if you want the 925, go for it. I've got an 810 and personally will never buy a carrier phone again, unless I switch to Verizon. I think even if it doesn't sell well, it isn't a bad phone to be stuck with...

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Why not just get your 920 repaired? It is cheaper than buying a new phone outright...

Would you believe it's the second casing for the phone? I got it in black originally, but had always wanted a white one. So when I read about people switching out cases I paid for a white one from eBay, and had it replaced by a cell phone repair guy in town (very reputable and I didn't trust myself not to eff it up). It totally lovely and then about three weeks later it developed a hairline crack at the top right corner--I hadn't even bumped it or anything! Then a week later it fell off a night table onto a wood floor and a chunk broke off the top LEFT corner. I put a case over it to protect it but jeebus, it's huge with even a thin case on it. I don't know--was the back housing I bought a fake one? Or was it the fall? My black casing survived more than one fall and it never cracked spontaneously before.

I can't decide what to do--even with its hideous marred casing I love my white 920, don't want to switch back to the black original, and am paranoid about buying another from Hong Kong.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Would you believe it's the second casing for the phone? I got it in black originally, but had always wanted a white one. So when I read about people switching out cases I paid for a white one from eBay, and had it replaced by a cell phone repair guy in town (very reputable and I didn't trust myself not to eff it up). It totally lovely and then about three weeks later it developed a hairline crack at the top right corner--I hadn't even bumped it or anything! Then a week later it fell off a night table onto a wood floor and a chunk broke off the top LEFT corner. I put a case over it to protect it but jeebus, it's huge with even a thin case on it. I don't know--was the back housing I bought a fake one? Or was it the fall? My black casing survived more than one fall and it never cracked spontaneously before.

I can't decide what to do--even with its hideous marred casing I love my white 920, don't want to switch back to the black original, and am paranoid about buying another from Hong Kong.

I can tell you that the 920 is not that easy to assemble. It is very easy to develop space after a reassemble and most likely the space caused that part of the case to receive more stress and eventually crack.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the 8x with Tmo, and I don't have issues. My one worry is that the 925 won't have WIFI calling on release, but honestly, the updates have nothing to do with the carrier and more to do with Microsoft.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the 8x with Tmo, and I don't have issues. My one worry is that the 925 won't have WIFI calling on release, but honestly, the updates have nothing to do with the carrier and more to do with Microsoft.

Wifi calling is a carrier supported feature. That has nothing to do with MSFT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven