Lumia 920 stuck on gears after reset...

Pr4w

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey !

Last night, fed up with the fact I wasn't getting any notifications on my store tile, I decided to go with a factory reset of the phone.
I plugged it in, hit factory reset, and waited. After a good two hours, I went to bed, gears still spinning. As I woke up, still gears... Phone is bricked.

I've tried soft resetting it, to no avail, I'm just endlessly stuck on gears and have no idea what to do...

Any help ? :(

Thanks !
Mark

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Does it have a SIM card? If it does, you might try removing it and giving it a few more minutes. This worked for me after a factory reset. Took 5 or 10 minutes and it was fine.

Pr4w

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Does it have a SIM card? If it does, you might try removing it and giving it a few more minutes. This worked for me after a factory reset. Took 5 or 10 minutes and it was fine.

Yeah I removed the sim card this morning, it's been working for ages still, to no avail :(

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
There is a long thread here about a fix. Try searching for "fix for bricked Lumia 920". I know it helped a lot of people. It explains how to flash the phone.

Troyseph

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with my 920 when I tried to reset it. It spun for 1.5 hours. Then I took it outside to drive it to a replacement center and as soon I got in the car it stopped and went to the welcome screen. The only thing I could think was that it had something to do with it being on my home WiFi before reset and then when it jumped to the cellular network it started working. It also could have been a coincidence. It also could have been afraid of the replacement center, :)

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Let the battery drain completely and phone die.
I had similar issue, mine were spinning for about a day. I tried all resets possible, killing the battery twice helped.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Look in the 920 Forum in this site, there's a pinned post talking about this topic. I read through the whole thread when I reset my phone and the phone would never finish the spinning gears screen (waited 8 hours). Try the key combo to force it (didn't work for me). Sorry to deliver bad news, but in the end I had to take back to AT&T at which point they just swapped it out for another one.

Pr4w

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I fixed it by downloading the firmware with Nokia Data Package Manager and flashing the phone with NCS ! :)

Hector Pons

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Whatever you do to recover your phone, REMOVE the SIM card. I have already tried everything to recover mine, nothing work UNTIL I REMOVE the SIM card.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Vol down + lock button until reset, and when the nokia logo appears, press vol up->vol down->lock button->vol down and wait 10 minutes.

wizzackr

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Or you might be totally out of luck like I was - and none of the above-mentioned things work. Had to send it in and that... was turned out not to be fun.

Hope you have more luck than I had!

caesar500

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You may want to take it back to At&t. I'm on my 6th Lumia and will probably ask for a 7th (performance issues). The problem is that the replacement phone pool consists of refurbished, re-certified and phones that were returned within 30 days. It's been extremely frustrating. I've tried to haggle for any actual new 920, but it hasn't worked.

cooltaj

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
This needed to be documented for bricking or spinning gears problem on L920

Okay, I contacted Customer Care chat. They said:

Normally, it takes only 30 minutes at most to reset it. In the event that it would take longer, like what happened here, you can press and hold both on the volume down button and power key for about 10 seconds.

The phone should then reboot. If the phone would still be stuck to spinning gears, here is a hardware reset that you need to press.

Input these keys on the following sequence, press them one key at a time:
Volume up
Volume down
Power key
Volume down

Make sure that you try this while the phone is charged.

When I did this... the gears continued to spin for about 5 minutes, but then the phone restarted and made it back to the "Welcome to your phone" screen. Success!

Source: http://blisslabz.com/infinite-spinning-gears-fix-for-lumia-920-or-any-windows-phone/
New Source: http://highlymobile.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/infinite-spinning-gears-fix-for-lumia-920-or-any-windows-phone/

Last edited:

benxiaolinren

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I tried EVERYTHING you guys mention here. And also took it to a cell phone repair store. After 5 days, my phone is still bricked. I called Nokia Care twice. They said there is no place I can take my phone to fix in Canada because I bought mine from HongKong.
My phone is under warranty. I will have to send it back to HongKong to get an exchange.
It is very disappointing that I have to go through such an hassle to get the phone fixed. Why can't Nokia have some independent stores worldwide to have international warranty like Apple. Not that I support Apple, in fact, I hate it. I just wish Nokia could do a better job when it comes to deal with customers' device problems.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I tried EVERYTHING you guys mention here. And also took it to a cell phone repair store. After 5 days, my phone is still bricked. I called Nokia Care twice. They said there is no place I can take my phone to fix in Canada because I bought mine from HongKong.
My phone is under warranty. I will have to send it back to HongKong to get an exchange.
It is very disappointing that I have to go through such an hassle to get the phone fixed. Why can't Nokia have some independent stores worldwide to have international warranty like Apple. Not that I support Apple, in fact, I hate it. I just wish Nokia could do a better job when it comes to deal with customers' device problems.

you can try flashing your device, most probably it will come back to life..

nitin88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

No company offers International Warranty for phones. Because they are made for carrier specific and region locked features, sometimes hardware too.
Apple doesn't offer International Warranty. Re-read it to completely understand or visit one of the Apple stores with bricked phones for experience

Apple - Legal
IMPORTANT RESTRICTIONApple may restrict warranty service to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the Apple Product."
Read, as is usual with such legal documents, "may" as "will".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte