Lumia 920 camera cannot focus

gandhirushi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

My new Lumia 920 is totally unable to focus while taking pictures. The screen looks blurry when I start camera and point towards a scene to take a photo. When I press the shutter half way, it tries to focus for a second but then ends up taking blurry photo. This did not happen with my old Lumia 920. With my old Lumia 920, the screen looked pretty much in focus even when the shutter button was not pressed half way. Something seems to be wrong here. Any help folks??

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

My new Lumia 920 is totally unable to focus while taking pictures. The screen looks blurry when I start camera and point towards a scene to take a photo. When I press the shutter half way, it tries to focus for a second but then ends up taking blurry photo. This did not happen with my old Lumia 920. With my old Lumia 920, the screen looked pretty much in focus even when the shutter button was not pressed half way. Something seems to be wrong here. Any help folks??

Check the photo settings, it might be set to "Close-Up". Every now and then I'll change it to get a macro shot and forget to change back and end up with photos that just won't focus.

Go to the camera, "...", "Photo Settings" then at the top is "Scenes"...set to "Auto".

gandhirushi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Check the photo settings, it might be set to "Close-Up". Every now and then I'll change it to get a macro shot and forget to change back and end up with photos that just won't focus.

Go to the camera, "...", "Photo Settings" then at the top is "Scenes"...set to "Auto".

Everything is on default settings. I reset the camera several times. Does not help. Any other suggestions??

gandhirushi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine started doing the exact same thing. Aggravates the crap out of me. I'm toying with the idea of a hard reset....

I'm thinking of doing the same but then there's this risk of your phone getting stuck on never ending spinning gears bricking your phone. It'd be much better to get a replacement if you're within warranty period.

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Mine does something similar. In photo mode for me, with everything on auto, the viewfinder is always blurry. Holding down the shutter button makes it focus, but letting go makes it get blurry again. Holding until it focuses and pressing usually takes a sharp image. Impossible to just quick-launch the camera and press the shutter down fully, it's always blurry that way.

Does it do it in video mode for you too though? When I turn continuous focus off, (so it locks into the "everything a couple of feet away from the phone to infinity stays in focus" mode,) the video comes out blurry. Turning on continuous autofocus makes it stay in focus all of the time. (With my previous 920, I preferred to have it "off," as the autofocus was kinda jumpy and unnecessary for most video recording needs.)

My previous 920 didn't operate like this, and I have re-flashed the 1314 update fresh, which didn't fix it. Must be a hardware problem, and I'm planning on sending it in to Nokia Care anyway. It's a replacement for dust in the FFC, (along with a loose battery and vibrate motor, faulty camera flash, every other thing possibly wrong with it that you can imagine,) and it arrived with dust already in the FFC, even though they said they'd send one with the FFC fix installed.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Did you try reset your camera ? - there is reset camera button in settings (settings - applications - photos and camera - and scroll down)

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've got the blurry photo issue on my 920 also. Used to be great at taking photos, but the last month or so has got steadily worse at focusing, its annoying as you see it focus just before it takes the shot, then goes blurry. Nokia care it is then!

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
On online chat with Nokia care, they asked me to soft re-set, and now hard re-set, but stuck on spinning cogs now :shocked:

How long should I wait and keep them holding online??

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
On online chat with Nokia care, they asked me to soft re-set, and now hard re-set, but stuck on spinning cogs now :shocked:

How long should I wait and keep them holding online??

Restart by holding the volume down and power buttons until it turns off and vibrates/restarts, then quickly let go and press volume up, volume down, power, and volume down again as it's booting. (One after another, not all at the same time, before the Nokia logo goes away.)

It should then attempt the reset again, and after five or so minutes of cogs, restart. If not, just try it again. If it still doesn't work, then it may need to be sent off to Nokia Care.

(This is how I got rid of the stuck cogs screen issue when it happened with me.)

But, I'm skeptical that it will fix the camera. I have a varying degree of focus issues with mine, and they weren't solved by flashing a new firmware onto it. That's the most drastic thing you can do to fix the device before just opening the hardware up itself. I'm fairly certain it's just a hardware fluke. (At least, in my case.)

Marsamver

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
But, I'm skeptical that it will fix the camera.

Yeah I solved the spinning cogs and successfully hard reset, thanks, I knew it wouldn't fix the issue, you just have to follow their instructions to show that you've tried everything before sending it off.

UPS collected it last Friday and it was in Thetford on Monday, now forwarded for repair. Just having to get used to my old LG Optimus 7 with 7.8 again while I wait. . . . .

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine also does this, it is blurry then focuses when I hold the camera button down, makes a noise and most of the time gets blurry again when actually taking the picture. It is like some type of auto focus assist when you hold the camera button down but does not work very well. My 920 used to not have this problem. considering others are seeing this i expect some type of update caused this behavior

justforphun

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here.
When I take a pic by pressing the display, it focuses perfectly on screen, but the image taken is blurry again.
It's like it doesn't know when the pic is sharp.

Really sucks not to be able to use that great camera as it's thought to be :-/

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro2_248 using Tapatalk

camstreet1

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem (focuses on screen just before taking the photo, but then goes blurry as the photo is actually taken). Has there been any word back from Nokia on the reason for this? Is it a hardware fault?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs