Call answering issue

jrisch

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
My wife has received her Nokia Lumia 520, replacing a Nokia X6. She is complaining about the multiple operations needed to answer a call. I'm not familiar with Windows Phone 8, but apparently she can't find a way round unlocking the lock screen with a swipe and then clicking the "answer" button. Sometimes she has to click the power button to enable the screen first, as well. Also, she can't answer call from the supplied headset as there's no button on that.

This seems very tortuous and very much a backward step. My Samsung Galaxy S2 (on Android) has a "swipe to answer" on the lock screen, can also be configure to allow the home button to answer, and the headset has a button that can also answer a call. Her old X6 could also "swipe to answer" and had a headset button to answer too.

Is there no way to configure a single button/gesture operation to answer? I appreciate this is probably a WP8 issue rather than a specific 520 one, but I'm surprised if no-one has developed a way round it.

Would the phone allow a bluetooth headset, such as a Jabra, to answer calls directly?

I'd appreciate your comments.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If the phone is unlocked, you will not get the prompt to slide up.
I have my screen time out set to never so I rarely have to slide up to answer unless I lock my phone manually.

This is the only "workaround" I know of.

Bluetooth headsets should allow you to answer calls directly once there is a button on the headset to answer calls.

jrisch

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, ttsoldier, for that swift reply. That's as I feared. I'll try a bluetooth headset on it. Maybe 8.1 will bring some flexibility. I take it this is the same for all Windows Phones?

Cheers, jrisch

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't see the 520 being any different than my 920 but let me know.

If my phone is locked and a call comes in I am prompted to slide up and just hit answer. How is that tortuous??

You don't have to hit the power button and if you do you are likely turning the screen off again.

As mentioned Bluetooth will just act as normal according to the manufacturer of the headset.

jrisch

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If my phone is locked and a call comes in I am prompted to slide up and just hit answer. How is that tortuous??

You don't have to hit the power button and if you do you are likely turning the screen off again.

Hi luv2skipow,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not certain about the power button as its not my phone and that's just what's been reported to me.

"Tortuous" is probably a bit strong, but a two-gesture operation when one suffices is unnecessary and a nuisance. It becomes more so if taking a call in the car. Of, course she wears a headset in the car, but unfortunately Nokia have chosen not to supply a headset with an answer button on it. I tried my own wired headset on the 520 but there's an incompatibility with it, it just buzzes.

I think the lack of flexibility in setting up the WP8 device will impact user perceptions of it. As mentioned, my Android phone is much better at allowing it to be customised to your needs.

Cheers, jrisch.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it's better this way. Think of it as a security issue. Your phone is in your jeans/handbag whatever and it rings. The screen will have answer and Ignore if you don't have to slide up, and your phone can answer it self.

jrisch

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input.Obviously I don't think this way is better but that's personal choice. My phone has a swipe to answer on the lock screen and I've never had a problem. We always keep our phones in flip cases so that wouldn't happen. However it's really the lack of choice that's the issue. Quite surprising for Microsoft too. They usually have half a dozen ways of achieving a function in desktop software.

Having had a a look on the Windows Phone forum since starting this, there are a lot of pro and con views in the thread I looked at. Personally, I'll stick with Android.:)

Cheers, jrisch

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
She may be having the same problems as I'm having with my 620. One in three phone calls when I slide up the answer button is not lit up so I have to press the side button once to put the phone to sleep then once to wake then when I slide up only then I can answer.
Its a right pain in the ****, I think my phone knows when the call is important as well as that's usually when it decides to play up.

Kishan Vachhani

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Dear All, Pl's dont use flip cover with 520/620 . I had the same problem . but got a solution that proximity sensor is malfunction with flip cover . " EasilyTheBest " ..This is your only solution

Kishan Vachhani

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
She may be having the same problems as I'm having with my 620. One in three phone calls when I slide up the answer button is not lit up so I have to press the side button once to put the phone to sleep then once to wake then when I slide up only then I can answer.
Its a right pain in the ****, I think my phone knows when the call is important as well as that's usually when it decides to play up.

Dear All, Pl's dont use flip cover with 520/620 . I had the same problem . but got a solution that proximity sensor is malfunction with flip cover . " EasilyTheBest " ..This is your only solution

faceless_el

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the lack of flexibility in setting up the WP8 device will impact user perceptions of it. As mentioned, my Android phone is much better at allowing it to be customised to your needs.
Cheers, jrisch.

it is all about preference as you have said. I know where you're coming from . It would be nice to have a choice as to how we can accept calls. At the moment WP8 is not as customisable as Android OS.
as for bluetooth headsets, i can confirm that you can answer calls with one press of a button (I test it on a Nokia BH-100)
if you're looking for one, I think the Luna headset is still on sale at the microsoft store for US$20.00 Deal Alert: Nokia Luna Bluetooth Headset now under $20 at the Microsoft Store (US) | Windows Phone Central

jrisch

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, faceless_el, that's useful info.

At present, she's using a wired headset with a call answer button. Oddly enough, the wired headset from an old Nokia didn't work, because there was constant buzzing, but one I found from a Blackberry seems to work fine. Unfortunately the offer you kindly supplied is only applicable to the US and Microsoft UK doesn't seem to be running the same deal. I have a Jabra bluetooth set that works on my Samsung and I'll try that on her phone when I get a chance.

Chris Hick

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I have this exact same problem. The screen jerks upwards when I slide up and I can see the 'answer' button button but there is no response when I press it. It just sits there as a frozen screen until I press the side button to put it to sleep. More often than not this cancels the call though so I'm left having to call the person back. Absolutely ridiculous - why can't I just slide to answer? I'm utterly fed up with my Nokia 620 and only put up with it because it's provided by my employer and I don't have to pay for it. Very poor product indeed.

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I have this exact same problem. The screen jerks upwards when I slide up and I can see the 'answer' button button but there is no response when I press it. It just sits there as a frozen screen until I press the side button to put it to sleep. More often than not this cancels the call though so I'm left having to call the person back. Absolutely ridiculous - why can't I just slide to answer? I'm utterly fed up with my Nokia 620 and only put up with it because it's provided by my employer and I don't have to pay for it. Very poor product indeed.

Same here :( +620

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa