Is there any way to force a compass recalibration?

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I launched an app that uses the compass yesterday and it said that compass accuracy was +/-15 degrees. Then it started the calibration routine and it finished even without me moving the phone at all. It was supposed to be moved in a large figure 8. Then the phone returned to telling me my accuracy was +/-15 degrees. I can't help wondering if it had actually done the calibration if it would be better. I'd like to force a recalibration but while there SHOULD be one (based on what makes sense in design, not necessarily reality) I sure don't find any way.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I believe just waving the phone in the figure 8 pattern will calibrate the compass... My PIP app has a button to calibrate the compass, but all it realy does is show your current accuracy. waving the phone around will narrow it down to a point while doing that, but I've never had it go below 7.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've never noticed an app that said what the accuracy of the compass was. Interesting. I've also wondered how in the world a figure 8 was supposed to calibrate a compass.... :straight:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
On my app, it pops up if the accuracy is too far off, but if you hit callibrate, here is a pic of what pops up on my app...

wp_ss_20130703_0001.jpg

I've also wondered how in the world a figure 8 was supposed to calibrate a compass.... :straight:

It's magic!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
LOL, I don't know why it works either. Must be something to do with receiving the magnetic north reading from various positions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos