Group Msg works fine on Lumia 928

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think everyone's phones whom the feature hasn't worked on are just going to start working. No updates OTA have been issued. My friend can already vouch for it having not worked today. I only just received mine and it isn't activated yet so I can't tell yet. Something must be different about the OP's phone compared to others.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So I'll try again with this tomorrow, but when I tried a few days ago on reports that this was "fixed" I experienced what is described above, exactly.

That is, I did not get responses in a single thread but instead as separate, unique messages...not grouped :/

Daniel, are you sure you understand what we are talking about? The post you quoted is not the information we want you to see... lol

We want you to use a Microsoft account on an AT&T Lumia 920 and make sure the group message setting is turned on. Then on a brand new/reset Verizon phone, sign into your Microsoft account and restore the backup of your Lumia 920 over the air.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Daniel, are you sure you understand what we are talking about? The post you quoted is not the information we want you to see... lol

We want you to use a Microsoft account on an AT&T Lumia 920 and make sure the group message setting is turned on. Then on a brand new/reset Verizon phone, sign into your Microsoft account and restore the backup of your Lumia 920 over the air.

Ideally we'd have you reset both a AT&T 920 and a VZW 928, choose to not restore settings to the 920, initiate a group message with some threaded responses and make sure all settings and texts are backed up to the cloud. Then on the 928 when you log in, pull down the cloud backup of the 920.

I only suggest wiping both because I am having problems with MMS on my primary 928 that I restored from an 8x (settings not working properly), but if I pop my SIM into my backup 928, MMS worked once I reset the phone (didn't work when it was restored from the 8x).

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
yes and if it gives you the option (as I've never done this before) to ONLY back up settings (or just messaging settings, idk how specific it lets you get) from the 920 after you've confirmed group mms is enabled on that phone because that's all that's needed on the 928. we just need the group mms setting to carry over in the restore. technically he can use any 920 or wp8 device not on verizon, regardless of whether or not it has service just so long as the group mms feature is visible and not hidden like on vzw. toggle it on, backup settings, restore settings on 928 from your account, then see if the enabled group mms setting carried over and works on the 928.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
yes and if it gives you the option (as I've never done this before) to ONLY back up settings (or just messaging settings, idk how specific it lets you get) from the 920 after you've confirmed group mms is enabled on that phone because that's all that's needed on the 928. we just need the group mms setting to carry over in the restore. technically he can use any 920 or wp8 device not on verizon, regardless of whether or not it has service just so long as the group mms feature is visible and not hidden like on vzw. toggle it on, backup settings, restore settings on 928 from your account, then see if the enabled group mms setting carried over and works on the 928.
as I said, I have problems with a restore of my 8x on my 928, so trying with the 920 or 925 makes the most sense (though the 925 has gdr2). If this works i plan on testing with a 620 but that will be a few weeks away (family member has it)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Ideally we'd have you reset both a AT&T 920 and a VZW 928, choose to not restore settings to the 920, initiate a group message with some threaded responses and make sure all settings and texts are backed up to the cloud. Then on the 928 when you log in, pull down the cloud backup of the 920.

I only suggest wiping both because I am having problems with MMS on my primary 928 that I restored from an 8x (settings not working properly), but if I pop my SIM into my backup 928, MMS worked once I reset the phone (didn't work when it was restored from the 8x).
Sorry, not doing that, lol. I use both of these phones and I don't see the point in me doing so. Let's say that it does work--total hypothetical--now what? How does that help anyone? Are we to post a "tip" that hey, you can enabled group messaging on your Lumia 928 IF you also have an active Lumia 920 with group messaging enabled?

That has a very niche audience in mind and I'd rather report if/when group messaging is enabled for everyone on the L928.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, not doing that, lol. I use both of these phones and I don't see the point in me doing so. Let's say that it does work--total hypothetical--now what? How does that help anyone? Are we to post a "tip" that hey, you can enabled group messaging on your Lumia 928 IF you also have an active Lumia 920 with group messaging enabled?

That has a very niche audience in mind and I'd rather report if/when group messaging is enabled for everyone on the L928.
I'm assuming you have a number of Verizon and AT&T or T-Mobile phones lying around, why not try it with two of those you don't really use (L521/L620/L720 and L822/8X)? I understand not wanting to use a daily driver, but it really doesn't take much more effort than swapping a SIM. Plus, some of us have friends with the right phone that wouldn't mind helping.

In my case, I have been in contact with high level tech support at VZW about this and it would be very helpful to be able to tell then I have it working... Unfortunately I let my sister take my L620 or I would have had an answer last night.

Alternatively, if anyone has a spare Lumia (non VZW) and wants to try this with me, pm me and I'm happy to try restoring one of my 928's with a MSFT account we can make for the test.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

The irony here is that you are a part of a news site that has a niche audience itself, since the majority of the world doesn't use Windows Phone.... guess we will have to do things ourselves here guys.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The irony here is that you are a part of a news site that has a niche audience itself, since the majority of the world doesn't use Windows Phone.... guess we will have to do things ourselves here guys.

Oh, come now. It's a very small minority of WP8 users that have switched from an AT&T WP8 to a VZW WP8. It honestly probably isn't worth his time to investigate this one any more than it already has been. I'm grateful to the OP for letting us know about this loophole for the sole reason that it confirms some theories about why we don't have group text messaging on Verizon WP8's. Daniel doing more research on the connection between back up settings between carriers & group text messaging will not be any more beneficial than what the OP has already shared.

So much sass!

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Confirmed, group msg does not work after I reset my phone and start from scratch. All I can receive now is a single message from a single sender although the sender intends to send a group msg.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Confirmed, group msg does not work after I reset my phone and start from scratch. All I can receive now is a single message from a single sender although the sender intends to send a group msg.

Why did you do that? :(

I'm sorry for your loss. Welcome to the club of people being screwed over by VZW on group text messaging.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

and you restored settings from the 920 or you just factory reset the phone and that's it?

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

so why did you post in here again? this was the whole point of the thread lol. you could've just said you misunderstood what was being asked rather than sound all snarky. no one was asking you to check if your phone just started to magically work bc obviously we could've done that ourselves with our own phones.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

You can reset the phone again and use the prior backups. If you wouldn't mind, please try the 920 backup again and see if it works (and maybe a 928 backup from before you reset it).

tearfalls

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You can reset the phone again and use the prior backups. If you wouldn't mind, please try the 920 backup again and see if it works (and maybe a 928 backup from before you reset it).

Yep, it works. I'm 99% sure that creating a clean backup in Lumia 920 and restore that backup on 928 will do the trick.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep, it works. I'm 99% sure that creating a clean backup in Lumia 920 and restore that backup on 928 will do the trick.

that's awesome. now to ask a few friends and family of mine who have att wp8s (820 and 920) to let me wipe their phones lmao. now that we know this I wonder if there is a way to exploit this little trick without needing an extra person/device, like if there is another way to access the cloud backup or extract some kind of file of a bare bones 920 backup.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
that's awesome. now to ask a few friends and family of mine who have att wp8s (820 and 920) to let me wipe their phones lmao. now that we know this I wonder if there is another way to exploit this little trick without needing an extra person/device, like if there is another way to access the cloud backup or extract some kind of file of a bare bones 920 backup.

I don't think it would have to be a 920, would it? Could be any non-Verizon wp8?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb