Thinking of switching from 810 to unlocked 920

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I originally owned (actually still have it) an 810 but switched to an unlocked Rogers 920 in May. I miss some things about the 810 (AMOLED screen, lighter weight), but the 920 is great. You won't regret getting one if you do. It's a solid phone, and it's nice to have 32GB of storage. Also runs just as smoothly on T-Mobile as the 810. I even managed to get LTE on my phone in some locations.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I originally owned (actually still have it) an 810 but switched to an unlocked Rogers 920 in May. I miss some things about the 810 (AMOLED screen, lighter weight), but the 920 is great. You won't regret getting one if you do. It's a solid phone, and it's nice to have 32GB of storage. Also runs just as smoothly on T-Mobile as the 810. I even managed to get LTE on my phone in some locations.

good stuff!.. yeah i got my eye on this unlocked 920 though i don't know if its the ATT branded or other.. and i'm debating whether i should get it.. pretty sure it'll be a much better experience than the 810 but yet i don't see having two devices lol.. and! i'm still on contract - so i don't know for sure how that would play out if i get the unlock version of 920. Obviously i'm not so much of a phone genius.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
good stuff!.. yeah i got my eye on this unlocked 920 though i don't know if its the ATT branded or other.. and i'm debating whether i should get it.. pretty sure it'll be a much better experience than the 810 but yet i don't see having two devices lol.. and! i'm still on contract - so i don't know for sure how that would play out if i get the unlock version of 920. Obviously i'm not so much of a phone genius.

You can get a Rogers unlocked 920 on NegriElectronics: Search results for: 'nokia lumia 920' I got the black one, and it was around $100 more when I ordered it (which bummed me out a little because the price went down like a week later!). You might also want to try eBay and see if someone is selling one cheaper, because I keep reading that it's possible to get a 920 for something like $300. Of course, another option you might want to consider is the 925 when it comes to T-Mobile... Although that might not be doable for you since you said you're on contract.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You can get a Rogers unlocked 920 on NegriElectronics: Search results for: 'nokia lumia 920' I got the black one, and it was around $100 more when I ordered it (which bummed me out a little because the price went down like a week later!). You might also want to try eBay and see if someone is selling one cheaper, because I keep reading that it's possible to get a 920 for something like $300. Of course, another option you might want to consider is the 925 when it comes to T-Mobile... Although that might not be doable for you since you said you're on contract.

Thanks metalchick!.. well, i almost shoot myself in the foot for not getting this brand new unlocked lumia 920 (yellow) at ebay $185 + $5 shipping... the seller had 5 units. (FML) all sold within 30 mins of posting...(REALLY, FML). -sigh- oh well... maybe when the 925 gets release by TMo, hopefully the price of the 920 will go down a bit (highly doubt it will for quite sometime). Thinking of just ending my contract early (early term) then switch to prepaid which will work better for me but then again, i really don't wanna fork out $200+.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks metalchick!.. well, i almost shoot myself in the foot for not getting this brand new unlocked lumia 920 (yellow) at ebay $185 + $5 shipping... the seller had 5 units. (FML) all sold within 30 mins of posting...(REALLY, FML). -sigh- oh well... maybe when the 925 gets release by TMo, hopefully the price of the 920 will go down a bit (highly doubt it will for quite sometime). Thinking of just ending my contract early (early term) then switch to prepaid which will work better for me but then again, i really don't wanna fork out $200+.

Yellow 920 for $185? Wow! That was the color I wanted the most, but I ended up getting the black because it's less conspicuous. If you're considering paying an ETF, I would suggest that you instead pay a migration fee to go with one of T-Mobile's Simple Choice plans. I did that a couple of months back and went with the $50 Value plan (wouldn't have had to pay migration had I gone with the $60 Classic plan). I've since signed my mother up to my account for the $80 per month plan and it's great! I'm paying a few bucks less than what I was paying with my grandfathered plan since 2011 (price of that went up around $13-$14 per month because of adding a data plan), and it's really nice. $51 for unlimited services? I can't complain.

But if you want to stay with your current plan, looking into an unlocked Rogers 920 would be your best bet. I'm sure the prices will go down again. So far, since I bought my 920, I've seen prices decrease twice. Good luck! :smile:

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yellow 920 for $185? Wow! That was the color I wanted the most, but I ended up getting the black because it's less conspicuous. If you're considering paying an ETF, I would suggest that you instead pay a migration fee to go with one of T-Mobile's Simple Choice plans. I did that a couple of months back and went with the $50 Value plan (wouldn't have had to pay migration had I gone with the $60 Classic plan). I've since signed my mother up to my account for the $80 per month plan and it's great! I'm paying a few bucks less than what I was paying with my grandfathered plan since 2011 (price of that went up around $13-$14 per month because of adding a data plan), and it's really nice. $51 for unlimited services? I can't complain.

But if you want to stay with your current plan, looking into an unlocked Rogers 920 would be your best bet. I'm sure the prices will go down again. So far, since I bought my 920, I've seen prices decrease twice. Good luck! :smile:

great stuff!! thanks again for the advice!... i had no idea about the migration fee... i would rather go with that instead of paying the full ETF if that's the case!... i will look into Rogers 920 as i heard its much better (connection-wise) than the unlock 920 ATT brand.. not quite sure why and what are the difference between the two... and i'm Bernie!.. since i see you around here all the time that is lol...

alfadoc99

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Rogers 920 has 1700 mhz 3g band T-mobile uses that ATT 920 lacks. You are much less likely to revert to EDGE with a Rogers phone on T-mobile.

Jose Byron Gonzalez

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I would, personally, stay away from this switch.

I had a T-Mobile branded 810 that was and is rock-solid (wife using it now) and switched to an unlocked AT&T 920 which, despite going through all the standard issues with bands, LTE, MMS, etc. and fixes, still is not reliable enough.

In Los Angeles, I constantly lose signal; I do get LTE but internet access and data is slow at best and non-existent at worst. Have talked to different T-Mobile support people and the best I could get is that "the LTE deployment has been a little problematic for data access but the problems should go away soon" with "soon" never quite defined. I even have one of the T-Mobile repeaters at home and where my wife's phone regularly sees 5 bars, I can be standing next to it and get, maybe, one. I've had the phone checked and supposedly the antenna and everything else is good.

Personally, I would stick with the 810. This may be a bum 920 in the end but for me, it was not worth the switch. :unhappysweat:

Cheers.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would, personally, stay away from this switch.

I had a T-Mobile branded 810 that was and is rock-solid (wife using it now) and switched to an unlocked AT&T 920 which, despite going through all the standard issues with bands, LTE, MMS, etc. and fixes, still is not reliable enough.

In Los Angeles, I constantly lose signal; I do get LTE but internet access and data is slow at best and non-existent at worst. Have talked to different T-Mobile support people and the best I could get is that "the LTE deployment has been a little problematic for data access but the problems should go away soon" with "soon" never quite defined. I even have one of the T-Mobile repeaters at home and where my wife's phone regularly sees 5 bars, I can be standing next to it and get, maybe, one. I've had the phone checked and supposedly the antenna and everything else is good.

Personally, I would stick with the 810. This may be a bum 920 in the end but for me, it was not worth the switch. :unhappysweat:

Cheers.

I suspect those repeaters only handle 1700, so with 3G AWS disabled, it isn't going to help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo