Will apps work on Lumia 520 through internet proxy?

Hussain740

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

i am a student thinking of buying Nokia lumia 520. The internet at my university has proxy on it. Now my question is that will Nokia Lumia 520 work with the internet proxy? And i do not mean just the brower, i mean all the apps and everyting including any multiplayer game apps to facebook, twitter apps etc.

Last time i bought an HTC explorer with android 2.3 and it had the option to enter proxy. But even after that, only the browser ran and i had to jailbreak the mobile to make the apps run with the proxy internet.
Please tell me i dont need to do all this with Nokia Lumia 520 and that i can run apps easily even if the internet has a proxy and i'll buy this phone today!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it is fair to say that all apps will never operate through a proxy, but this is because not all apps use proxy compatible protocols to communicate. This statement applies to all phones on the market.

That aside, I cannot find any proxy settings on my Windows Phone 8, so it is possible the phone either does not support a proxy, or only supports an auto-assigned one on the network. Perhaps others will have more details.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Once your school is not using a .pac file, you should be good. Windows Phone does not support pac files. (yet?)

Proxy settings are found under Cellular-->Edit internet apn

Hussain740

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
okay, now assuming that my university internet does use .pac files (dont know what that is) , and the apps wont run , is there another way (a jailbreak solution similar to android maybe) to make the apps run through a proxy internet?

Hugo Zanker

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Once you go through the proxy settings when you open the browser you will be prompted to log in to the proxy. This will only open the internet in IE11. Apps will not function, calendars/OneNote/People will not sync and Bing won't work. Just the browser. As far as I can tell this is for most platforms, not just WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers