Is it worth buying Lumia 820?

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I'm planning to get a new phone, since Microsoft doesn't love WP7 users, I bought Lumia 800 last May, I've been very happy with it, but now developers mostly release their games and apps for WP8, so I checked one retailer's web and L820 price is perfect for me. I have to note that it's the same as 8X or Ativ S, but I want Lumia because of Nokia's exclusive apps. Is it worth buying it? WP8 support ends next year I don't know if Microsoft will leave us behind again. Thanks.

johnh3

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I dont think it will be a issue this time, Even the next version of Windows Phone 8 (Windows Phone 8.1?) will be based at Windows NT. The old Windows Phone 7 was built at Windows CE.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I love my Lumia 820.

It's a well done mid range smartphone with 1024mb RAM (WP8 works MUCH better with 1GB, less "loading screens"). VERY nice camera, much better than L800 (my father have one, i'm love L800 too). And it's only who have a AMOLED screen in midranges price. AMOLED is mandatory for Windows Phone, in my opinion. So i think Lumia 820 is a very good option.

About support, i think MS will continues to upgrade actual smartphones with WP8. No kernel's change (the big problem of WP7).

Sourdo

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I"ve had my 820 since November '12. I am quite happy with this device. The mapping and GPS are superb. The interfacing with live tiles is easy and intuitive. I just bought one for my girlfriend last week, she likes it too and says it much easier to use than her old flip phone. I like the camera and now use it for 99% of my "snapshots". The Windows Live and the cloud are convenient and easy to use. When I snap a photo, when I get to the computer it's already available. I recommend.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Battery should max out within a day. I vouch for the Lumia 820 as well, my friend has it and is faster than my L620 by a margin. Less loading screens, seems to load menu items, games faster . The AMOLED screen is really good as well, dont have a problem with the non-HD screen though. Its your choice? the only HD WP8 phones is the 92X series and thats the flagship!!

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So yes or no? I'm planning to get a red one and buy a yellow shell with wireless charging. And how's the front facing camera? I've heard that it isn't very good

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your country I believe. In the UK all 820s come with a charging shell (not sure you could even buy a non-charging shell anywhere in the UK if you wanted one). I hear some countries only provide a basic shell though. Check with your supplier.

The front camera is great for Skype, low res so ideal for lower bandwidth situations. Not good for taking snapshots at this res, but that's what the rear camera's for, right?

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
820 is a nice phone, but maybe it's better that you wait and see. A couple of months later we should have a new batch of Lumia, as 920 and 820 will be one year old by then. I think this 2nd wave of WP8 Lumia will be lighter, thinner and have bigger battery, aside from other improvements (I guess the 840, ot whatever they call it, will have the same HD screen of Lumia 925 and 928).

If you still want the 820, I will tell you that the front camera is quite bad, even for videoconference. The battery lasts enough for me (At night I tend to have between 50% and 20% remaining), but that depeneds a lot on your usage, network, etc.... The 8GB internal memory might be a little too scarce if you plan to play games (as apps cannot be installed in memory card).
Nowadays I would buy the 720, but having only 512MB RAM is a deal breaker. Pity.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So for what then SD card is for in Lumia? Will Nokia add ability to install apps to it with GDR2/3? And I read that it doesn't have gorilla glass. How's the screen for you overall?

madgibbon

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
The SD card is for media such as photos and music, I find 8Gb is plenty for apps. I doubt MS will update WP8 to allow SD card app installs, this makes it far to easy to pirate software. The screen is fine without Gorilla Glass, you would never know it didn't have it. I don't use a case or screen protector and have no scratches. I think its a fantastic phone phone, one of the best in fact and I've owned a iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2 and Nexus 4 over the past year.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The internal flash storage is fast. Very fast. Even compared to my Samsung Pro SD card which is itself way faster than class 10 min spec. Running apps from SD card would negate much of the speed/smoothness of the device so it won't be coming. This is a good thing. What you can do is save the game install files to SD card and swap out one large game for another if you need all your games with you. It works well (though your save games will be lost).

The SD card holds all your media, which is what it should be for.

Gorilla glass is just a trade name for one brand of toughened glass. It is much the same as any other brand. Remember, the more toughened the glass is, the easier it is to shatter or crack. Toughened glass helps against scratches, not screen cracking. I had Nokia replace my screen due to a coating issue from the factory. Neither screen has been scratched in any way. It's a good screen.

Get an 820 now. Any refresh will likely have an HD LCD of larger size, no Amoled sized to fit nicely in the hand. Amoled looks great at lower res (due to the same effect of both sharpening & blurring that CRTs offer rather than just sharpening like LCD) so this is the perfect screen. Marketing will push the bigger numbers though. The 820 is the engineer's phone. The refresh will be the advertiser's phone I predict. Get it now.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
820 is a nice phone, but maybe it's better that you wait and see. A couple of months later we should have a new batch of Lumia, as 920 and 820 will be one year old by then. I think this 2nd wave of WP8 Lumia will be lighter, thinner and have bigger battery, aside from other improvements (I guess the 840, ot whatever they call it, will have the same HD screen of Lumia 925 and 928).

If you still want the 820, I will tell you that the front camera is quite bad, even for videoconference. The battery lasts enough for me (At night I tend to have between 50% and 20% remaining), but that depeneds a lot on your usage, network, etc.... The 8GB internal memory might be a little too scarce if you plan to play games (as apps cannot be installed in memory card).
Nowadays I would buy the 720, but having only 512MB RAM is a deal breaker. Pity.

I agree, but if you wait too long, will wait forever. Smartphones always getting better m8 (S4 is the only exception lol).

I think 512MB RAM is a deal breaker for 720 too (LCD screen too). 820 is a better choice and the price are almost the same in some countries. But not a deal breaker for 620 or 520.

8GB internal storage is not enough for heavy gamers, I agree with that. But for other applications and "light" games, its more than enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077