Am I the only one that thinks $530 is too much for this phone? (t-mobile usa)

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have been dealing with my POS HTC 8x patiently waiting ever since it was announced a couple months ago and now it is finally coming but now today after seeing the price I am going to pass on it. I really thought it would be $400 but $530? I don't understand if this is basically a variant of the 920 (which sold brand new for $450 on ATT) minus the wireless charging, minus 16gb storage and 8 months later what happened? One last point of reference is the nokia lumia 521 for $130, is the 925 really more than 4 times better than the 521 because it costs more than 4 times the price! And so my crappy 8x marches on........

echoshizzle

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a high price. Really should be at the most $499, in my opinion. I'm thinking Nokia didn't cut T-Mobile a break on the phone like they did AT&T.

If the 1020 is really $600 MSRP, then this is totally way to high for this phone. We'll see.

The 925 still looks like a very nice device.

WP8fan

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It is a flagship phone and has the higher price because of it's overall look and feel. It's sleek and sexy. But I do think it should be about $30 less since the 1020 will be around $600.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Try paying full freight for an iPhone, and the price they're asking for the 1020 doesn't sound so bad.

No one said the 1020 is over priced, if it is really $600 it is great and I would rather have the 1020 for the extra $70 but I am with t-mo-blo. I just think the 925 is overpriced by at least $100 considering it is a midrange phone (1020 is the new high end)

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a high price. Really should be at the most $499, in my opinion. I'm thinking Nokia didn't cut T-Mobile a break on the phone like they did AT&T.

If the 1020 is really $600 MSRP, then this is totally way to high for this phone. We'll see.

The 925 still looks like a very nice device.

I agree but I don't think the problem is nokia I think it is t-mo-blo, look at the nexus 4 for example. It is supposed to sell for 350 (and does everywhere except t-mo-blo) and they were trying to sell it for something like $500

It appears they are gouging their custos on phones now because they aren't making as much on monthly service as they were.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Fair trade. Comparing unlimited/unlimited/2GB/month plans, t-mo comes in around $40/month cheaper than the competition. You've got that $150 price difference covered in four months.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Fair trade. Comparing unlimited/unlimited/2GB/month plans, t-mo comes in around $40/month cheaper than the competition. You've got that $150 price difference covered in four months.

You are arguing a totally different point there that isn't valid here, I am discussing the hardware not the service. Since you brought it up though you should attribute monthly service fee to coverage, ie you get what you pay for. Verizon costs the most but has the best network coverage, att is second best coverage and their prices reflect that being slightly cheaper than VZ, Sprint is a definite third as far as coverage and their prices are also third, tmobile has the worst system for coverage of the three and is the cheapest. So I know at this point your thinking, well then why do you have tmo, Right? I only really am ever in the populated areas, in fact most of the time I am at home. I live in northern California and I rarely travel, when I do maybe once a month I deal with tmobile having no coverage there as I am only there for a day or so and the monthly savings are worth not having coverage sometimes.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
sprint also has some of the worst data coverage, T-Mobile has them beat for the most part from what I have experienced in Seattle, Western WA, Las Vegas and Southern California.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been dealing with my POS HTC 8x patiently waiting ever since it was announced a couple months ago and now it is finally coming but now today after seeing the price I am going to pass on it. I really thought it would be $400 but $530? I don't understand if this is basically a variant of the 920 (which sold brand new for $450 on ATT) minus the wireless charging, minus 16gb storage and 8 months later what happened? One last point of reference is the nokia lumia 521 for $130, is the 925 really more than 4 times better than the 521 because it costs more than 4 times the price! And so my crappy 8x marches on........

I think the price is just about right...you are paying for the Nokia's imaging technology, Nokia apps, and a fantastic design, among other great things. The price is not the MSRP (as Nokia MSRP devices are quite expensive - just check Amazon for some of their Symbian devices); If T-Mobile cannot offer a more affordable price for you, it may be best that you stick with the 8x or a just a less expensive device. The price may drop to the $400 range you desire several months from now.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm arguing total cost of ownership of the phone. If you, like me, are reasonably covered by t-mo, then the difference in tco makes t-mobile seriously cheaper, even though they're selling at $150 more.

Of course, if you can buy the same phone off-contract at Verizon or att, and you know it'll be compatible with t-mo's bands, then that's an even lower tco.

But the 925 is t-mo exclusive, so we're still talking about a seriously lower tco for 2 years, 925 on t-mo vs. 928 on Verizon.

mmar1974

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
don't think so... 530 for this particular phone is pretty good... iPhone 5 is over 800$! and in my mind the 925 is much more phone than the iPhone5

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
sprint also has some of the worst data coverage, T-Mobile has them beat for the most part from what I have experienced in Seattle, Western WA, Las Vegas and Southern California.

I agree there and that is the reason I left sprint. their coverage was great for my needs but their data speeds were slower than slow. Maybe in late 2014 when their system updates are all done I will give them a chance again but for the next year and a half I cant even consider their network because data is far more important to me than voice.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
don't think so... 530 for this particular phone is pretty good... iPhone 5 is over 800$! and in my mind the 925 is much more phone than the iPhone5

While I agree $800 is insane for an iphone, I will say apple is in a unique situation that nokia isn't. Apple can put out anything and charge double what it should cost and it will sell. I know it is insane but apple has always been in that situation, or at least has been for the last 15 years.

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm arguing total cost of ownership of the phone. If you, like me, are reasonably covered by t-mo, then the difference in tco makes t-mobile seriously cheaper, even though they're selling at $150 more.

Of course, if you can buy the same phone off-contract at Verizon or att, and you know it'll be compatible with t-mo's bands, then that's an even lower tco.

But the 925 is t-mo exclusive, so we're still talking about a seriously lower tco for 2 years, 925 on t-mo vs. 928 on Verizon.

And that is my point, you can buy an unlocked phone elsewhere and use it on t-mo. If the 1020 is only $600, I will be going that route

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You're talking about $530 spread out over two years, right? $50 down and 24x$20 monthly payments. Well wouldn't that be a higher total that what the phone is worth today, just because of the time value of money? I notice though that they don't give you any price break if you pay up front and their prices don't seem out of line, so whatever finance charge is built into the price can't be very big.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99