Am I the only one that thinks $530 is too much for this phone? (t-mobile usa)

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
You're talking about $530 spread out over two years, right? $50 down and 24x$20 monthly payments. Well wouldn't that be a higher total that what the phone is worth today, just because of the time value of money? I notice though that they don't give you any price break if you pay up front and their prices don't seem out of line, so whatever finance charge is built into the price can't be very big.

either way it is $530, if it makes you feel better to look at it as "only $20 a month" I guess that is great for you but I choose to look at it as the total real cost, because in the end that is what I will have paid for the phone. I wish there was a discount of 10% or something for paying up front because I can do that and it would make me feel better about the 925 but there isn't. Oh well, tomorrow is the big 1020 announcement, my fingers are crossed for it to be only $600 and also have t-mo freqs in it for LTE and HSPA+ so I can enjoy unlocked goodness!

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm just saying if you want to compare it to the $450 that the 920 goes for, that's $450 today vs $530 spread over two years. Presumably you could take the $480 and collect interest on it so that ultimately you'll have "paid" less than $530, if bank accounts actually paid any interest these days. Or you could pay down a credit card with it or whatever. Money today is always worth more than money tomorrow (unless we get into a deflationary spiral).

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Its always high when its new, will drop in a month or so. But it isn't that high which would stop you from buying one if you are interested.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Its always high when its new, will drop in a month or so. But it isn't that high which would stop you from buying one if you are interested.
That doesn't seem to be the case for the 920. It's still selling for its launch price of $449 nine months later.

I'll be calling the Microsoft store on Friday to see if thy have pricing information. I called yesterday and the person I talked to didn't have availability or price information. Hopefully it will be like the 810 where TMO sold it for over $500 and the MS store sold it for $100 less.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think $530 is bad for the 925 at all. I paid a little more than that for my unlocked Rogers 920. Got it in May and that phone's been out since November, so think of it this way - a phone that was already out for six months and that was no longer an exclusive was still more money than a brand new 925, which is a T-Mobile exclusive in the US. Regardless of the fact that the 925 has half the storage, I think that's a pretty damn good deal. Had I not gotten my 920, I would have been all over the 925 and would have paid for it upfront, probably on release day. Anywhere else, the phone probably would be more than $700.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
No one said the 1020 is over priced, if it is really $600 it is great and I would rather have the 1020 for the extra $70 but I am with t-mo-blo. I just think the 925 is overpriced by at least $100 considering it is a midrange phone (1020 is the new high end)

The 925 isn't a "midrange" phone at all. That's such a silly thing to say. The 920, 925 and 928 are all high end. It just so happens that because of that stupid exclusivity AT&T had on the 920, the other models were never going to be available for the other carriers until after said exclusivity ended. As for the 1020, it looks nice, but it's a bit overkill, IMHO. It looks identical to the 920 sans the camera and that bump on the back of it. Personally, I couldn't care less about a 41 megapixel camera.

mmar1974

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
While I agree $800 is insane for an iphone, I will say apple is in a unique situation that nokia isn't. Apple can put out anything and charge double what it should cost and it will sell. I know it is insane but apple has always been in that situation, or at least has been for the last 15 years.
Yep, turtle necked fellows... that don't care to pay more than something is really worth... but my prediction is that the user base is falling back to the early 2000s again where Apple's got a niche market a very small one and it will just hibernate there for some time... kind of difficult to compete with the likes of Android and WP (why not) if you are a one trick pony... now, if they start producing cheap iPhones... I'll start wondering what the "elitist" sort of owners will start thinking... would like to see what an owner of an 80K BMW/Benz think when they start seeing people using a 5K version of the same brand.

Marc Elkadi

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree, The camera is overkill but the 1020 has double(2GB) the RAM than the 925(1GB). I will be getting a lumia 925 and agree with metal chick that it is not overpriced at all. Its actually $50 less than I was expecting because I thought it would be $100 down and $20/month

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Blame Tmo for going budget too hard. Look at them from the begining, doesn't pay any effort to secure a valid feature, no show in the launch event, had it sold 2 months later after official launch, had a no one knows event...

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
To answer the title of this post, no you're probably not the only one that thinks $530.00 is too much for this phone, but I also think $650.00 is too much for an iphone 5.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the price is fair. I would even pay more for the 32GB but we're not getting a 32GB :-/ I've got a 64GB SD card on my 810 and my internal memory is just about full. If I switch I won't have room for my media :-/. I was definitely excited for this phone until the16GB variant was allotted to us. 32GB would have been okay. I wonder if the unlocked 64GB version of the 1020 will work for T-Mobile. :-/

WP8fan

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree, The camera is overkill but the 1020 has double(2GB) the RAM than the 925(1GB). I will be getting a lumia 925 and agree with metal chick that it is not overpriced at all. Its actually $50 less than I was expecting because I thought it would be $100 down and $20/month
It may go up to $579 like other flagship phones on T-Mobile US. I think something like that happened after they launched the iPhone 5. I wish they had it in black.

vip718

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree thought it would be 479-500. I know its not that much of a difference but it comes down to marketability. I want to make the switch once it comes out next week, any word if hsn.com will be carrying it like they did the 521?

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
You are arguing a totally different point there that isn't valid here, I am discussing the hardware not the service. ...

I think the point of comparing total cost of hardware + plan is perfectly valid. Within 3-6 months, you come out ahead with TMoUS every time. Granted, you do have to compare service availability with where you regularly travel. For you, TMo has the worst service. For me, TMo service easily beats the others, so I'm fine paying an extra $30, knowing I'll be ahead $20+ in just one month (my plan, compared to equivalent on other carriers).

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think you are discounting the 925 a bit. While your point about less RAM is valid, the 925 is much lighter, thinner, has an extra glass lens in the camera, a very nice AMOLED screen, and has an aluminum body to drive up the price. While I agree it isn't a great price, compared to the 920, I can see where the price can be justified.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss