Let's be honest - this thing isn't going to compete at $299

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Was that Elop doing the presentation?

This phone is not gonna be for everyone, If you're coming from the iPhone 4. I'm sure you won't want to fork out $299 dollars for a Lumia 1020, but let's say you've come from the Lumia 920 and you are a good photographer, yes you would get the 1020.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm upgrading from the 920 to the 1020 simply for the camera. I like the 920, and if it get's even better... Why not?

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I went in today to trade in my old samsung focus and they said that they have a promotion that if you trade in smartphones for an upgrade you can get $100-$200 off a new phone. My focus would get $100 but a 920 or 820 would get $200 off. I don't know if that sweetens the deal for you guys but it does for me.

MerlinJnr

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Was that Elop doing the presentation?

This phone is not gonna be for everyone, If you're coming from the iPhone 4. I'm sure you won't want to fork out $299 dollars for a Lumia 1020, but let's say you've come from the Lumia 920 and you are a good photographer, yes you would get the 1020.

a good photographer? What's a good photographer? You mean someone who aspires to take better camera phone images. Think I'll spend the dollars on a 40mm macro lens and ring flash for my D7000.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I went in today to trade in my old samsung focus and they said that they have a promotion that if you trade in smartphones for an upgrade you can get $100-$200 off a new phone. My focus would get $100 but a 920 or 820 would get $200 off. I don't know if that sweetens the deal for you guys but it does for me.

Hell yeah it does! How do we take advantage of this trade in? When does it start? Can we do it online or does it have to be in store?

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Copy paste from my other post:

And yes that $700 price is ridiculous. Why so you ask? Because I just bought (and returned) an 808 Pureview for $400. The Lumia 1020 actually has an even SMALLER sensor than the 808, 1/1.5" instead of 1/1.2". The Lumia 920, which released last year, had an MSRP of $450. It should cost even LESS now to make for Nokia. You combine the current cost of the dated budget-like 920 and the cost of a SMALLER 808 sensor, it in no way equals a whopping $700. You also have to subtract the cost of the 920's camera since its not used, the wireless charging which there are none, and the lower price of the budget internals. You seriously can't expect whatever little R&D was done to fuse the two to be worth an extra $200-300. The $700 is just grossly overpriced. I wouldn't mind as much if it had a snapdragon 800 in it and a 5" 1080p display (ARM processors are CHEAP if you actually look at the bill of materials, and the extra cost from 4.5" to 5" 1080p isn't that much since its such a commodity), and even then, it would be overpriced. Not to mention its an ALL-PLASTIC phone. Polycarbonate is a fancy word for plastic.

You're wrong in so many places. I really doubt you have used Nokia phones, the polycarbonate feels more sturdy than the all-metal phones out there.

How do you expect Nokia to release 1080p and quad-cores when the software for WP doesn't support it yet. Have patience, that will come later on this year. The 1020 hardware will STILL compete with smartphones - especially the camera aspect - for at least the next 1.5 years. For that alone, I'd be willing to fork in $700. Knowing that, like the 808 before it, the camera will hold the crown for a long time.

falconeight

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I would pay full price with contract for that phone. I have kids and live to take pictures of them and my family. I will have this thing no matter what it costs.

adrock107

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I come at it from this angle... Let's not forget that the iPhone is selling at 199 for a 16GB model. If you opt for the 32GB option (which the 920 and 1020 come with already) then the price jumps to... 299, same as the 1020. I'll admit it's a hard sell against anyone who paid 99 or less on-contract for their Lumia 920, but if you compare it to directly to the competing iPhone or GS4 (32GB @ 249), it's not priced too terribly. There are those that will argue that it's a skinnier 920 without Qi charging and a giant camera sensor slapped onto it; it's not a 920 successor, and it's not like the competition don't celebrate evolution like a slimmer body as "revolutionary innovation" anyway.

LewLew23

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Hell yeah it does! How do we take advantage of this trade in? When does it start? Can we do it online or does it have to be in store?

You can do it online or in store, but if you do it in store, it's instant. Online I believe you wait about 2 weeks and then they send you a card in the mail.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
That's certainly an ... interesting ... way to look at economics. Say you wait a year for each to drop by $120... If the value of an Xbox 1 and a 1020 are so low to you that the use of them for a year isn't worth $120, how is the value high enough to ever be worth buying? You're saying the use of them isn't worth $10/month for all that extra use in 2013, but in 2014, it'd be worth that? What changed during that time?

If you're poor enough that $100 makes a difference, perhaps a phone that is going to cost you almost $3k on contract is a bad decision to make? I mean, $100 is a few percent ...

I would have never purchased a Kinect at 149.99. Even after demoing and enjoying Dance Central and watching my sister in law and her family use it for video chat, it still was not worth $149.99, IMO. However, I found it used a year later on Amazon for $40. It was a no brainer purchase at that point

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I come at it from this angle... Let's not forget that the iPhone is selling at 199 for a 16GB model. If you opt for the 32GB option (which the 920 and 1020 come with already) then the price jumps to... 299, same as the 1020. I'll admit it's a hard sell against anyone who paid 99 or less on-contract for their Lumia 920, but if you compare it to directly to the competing iPhone or GS4 (32GB @ 249), it's not priced too terribly. There are those that will argue that it's a skinnier 920 without Qi charging and a giant camera sensor slapped onto it; it's not a 920 successor, and it's not like the competition don't celebrate evolution like a slimmer body as "revolutionary innovation" anyway.

Yes it is, because you're comparing it to an iPhone. It's like saying the $50,000 BMW has the same specs as a $50,000 Kia so that means the Kia is fairly priced. A name brand is a big deal and while us as nerds know the name iPhone is nothing special, the people Nokia are trying to sell the 1020 to don't see it that way. You have to earn the right to price your stuff like an iPhone and expect it to sell. Samsung had earned that reputation but Nokia hasn't. It's a big reason why HTC is hurting so much too. You aren't Apple or Samsung so don't expect people to pay the same price, even if it does have a super cancer hump for a camera on its back.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the price point is a problem. The idea is to gain mindshare AND market share. If priced at $99 it would have made a serious impact. As it is, I don't see the 1020 selling well in almost any context.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Is the price really that bad? You aren't going to go into an electronics store and get any other 41MP camera for that price. And if you compare it to a similar iPhone 5, it sure looks like a good deal to me:
Lumia 1020 (32GB) vs. iPhone 5 (32GB)
-------------------------------------------------------
Price (2-year contract): $299 vs. $299
Camera: 41MP vs. 8MP
Screen: 4.5" vs. 4"
Resolution: 1020x768; 334ppi vs. 1136x640; 326ppi
RAM: 2 GB vs. 1GB
Halo - Spartan Assault: Has vs. Doesn't Have

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
a good photographer? What's a good photographer? You mean someone who aspires to take better camera phone images. Think I'll spend the dollars on a 40mm macro lens and ring flash for my D7000.

Yeah, sorry i only recently woke up when i posted that.

I'm considering getting one, as it would replace my need to get a Dedicated Camera.

Cellus13

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Why wont people move on to the phone with the accepted best smartphone camera now, the 920? And do you really think Nokia's future hinges on this one device? The 925, 928 & 920 are still there for those who cant afford the 1020 and later on this year will be phones with upgraded specs apart from the camera which will still be the selling point of the 1020. So Nokia will be fine. Why does everyone believe MS buying Nokia is some magic bullet to solve everything?

I agree with everything you said BUT don't forget the annoying idea that hopeless android fans believe: Nokia making a Android device is the magic bullet to taking over the mobile space.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I hate people who think Nokia is going to be the next Samsung if they go Android.

They need to realise that they'll lose a lot of funding from Microsoft, they'll lose a lot of basically everything if they go android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you said BUT don't forget the annoying idea that hopeless android fans believe: Nokia making a Android device is the magic bullet to taking over the mobile space.

Gosh darnit, they're right. It would be a magic bullet!

Just like HTC, Nokia would also be forced to split their resources amongst two completely different operating systems and ecosystems, with very limited potential for synergies. Just like HTC, Nokia also doesn't have the money to double their OS, firmware, hardware and app-development R&D staff, so their only option is to split the existing teams down the middle, thereby severely stalling WP development, while barely getting Android development off the ground. Worse, the Android team must build up their expertise from scratch, in a hopeless attempt to catch up to their Android competition which has had a multiple year head start.

Yes. A magical bullet indeed. They would shoot their corporate feet out from under themselves, no matter how the gun is fired. Or worse.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo