Lumia 1020 is not a worthy upgrade

mukhlisviovix

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the only problem with this device is the price. Other than that it's okay. But you can't expect a device with such a camera technology to be cheap.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
And even hardware their limited by Microsoft, they cant slap in any old soc, 1080p, etc.
I think Nokia is doing such a good job that people seem to think that they aren't limited by anything and they can just do as they please.

Their producing the apps as well as getting hold of others, producing wp at different price points, pushing camera technology, and yet they still can't do right by some people.

Yes it may be more expensive than some people like or think is justified, but i just think some of blanked criticism is unfair.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
"Worth" for an upgrade is a personal choice/decision. However, after seeing some of the initial videos of that 41 MP shooter has me kind of wanting one. Too bad I'm on Verizon. Being able to take a quick picture, then zooming and cropping later while keeping the picture quality seems like a great everyday camera to me.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
@katamari201
? A lot of the specs you're looking for aren't supported by the OS, so there's no point in Nokia using them in the 1020.
? Material costs are only one indicator of actual phone costs.
? The sensor is smaller than the 808's, but it's a tradeoff between sensor size and the addition of a BSI sensor and OIS.
? The 1020 uses the same S4 processor, but achieves better battery life. Hmm?
? You're forgetting that the 1020 has twice the RAM compared to the 920, a xenon flash, and stereo mice.
? Nokia has accessories for this phone because they knew a) accessories have a greater profit margin and b) people would want the option for wireless charging and a grip that added more battery life.

$299. Niche product. Nokia probably wants this to be their Galaxy Note, and in price and ridiculousness of its standout feature it is. I'm calling it niche as it my sell well by their standards, but I don't see this selling that well outside of camera enthusiasts and WP fans. Carrier deals are their hope that it breaks out of its niche.

(Funky formatting is due to pasting from OneNote.)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
What sells? Large, bright screens for multimedia use, excellent audio for music lovers, and..... Cameras. Smart phones are the new point and shoot for this age. People use them for the casual photos more then most camera companies. This is a smart, calculated move. The original Galaxy Note was released with lower specs, though not bad specs. It hit the right cord with the multimedia crowd. This is the same kind of gamble. It has the huge potential to be a runaway hit, it has the same potential to implode.

As for it being an upgrade: Do you love photos? If so, it is a monster upgrade.

harishm92

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I cannot believe there is no wireless charging built in (and the only way to get it is that super thick camera grip accessory)? I'll stick with the 920 until they figure out how to deliver a flagship experience that doesn't degrade what I already have.

:smile:actually u don't need the camera grip for wireless charging.... the wireless charging is a pretty sleek back coverView attachment 37311

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has opened the door wide open with such a lackluster specs bump. The fact its not 64GB is going to be a big hindrance.... Plus a 2000 mah battery is just a flipping joke for such a powerful camera.

Personally, looks like Sony now has the upper hand if and when it decides to release the Sony Honami. Not only does it run android, it also has Snapdragon 800, expandable SD to 100 GB total (with 64 GB microsd slot), and also 3000+ mAH battery.

Probably will go for same price if not less than this phone.

Sorry Nokia you flopped big time, $299 for an ON contract phone is putting it DoA. Remember when you put an aggressive $450 off contract + free wireless charger for the 920?!

This is just my opinion but for any of us that already own a 920 (or other variant) I can't see this is as a worth while upgrade. It's literally the same phone with an improved camera. While I was very excited for this phone to come it would have been great to see other improvements along with the camera. I really hope this isn't Nokia's official sucessor to the 920.

However what I would like to see is this camera tech carried over to a more updated model. Slightly larger screen, better cpu etc.. I know a lot is yet to come with GDR3 but I feel they should've just teased everyone officially today and held on to the EOS to include in a few higher end models with newer specs.

You can blame Microsoft. Nokia wanted to implement 1080P screen and a quad core snapdragon 800 processor. But current OS limits it.
BTW 1020 is not 920 successor. You might have to wait till September Nokia event. The might announce a successor to Lumia 920

K Raghu

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I am happy, as i can wait a little longer for a better phone now and don't have the itch to but 1020. but for others who don't have Lumia 920 its a good buy don't you think ?

This is just my opinion but for any of us that already own a 920 (or other variant) I can't see this is as a worth while upgrade. It's literally the same phone with an improved camera. While I was very excited for this phone to come it would have been great to see other improvements along with the camera. I really hope this isn't Nokia's official sucessor to the 920.

However what I would like to see is this camera tech carried over to a more updated model. Slightly larger screen, better cpu etc.. I know a lot is yet to come with GDR3 but I feel they should've just teased everyone officially today and held on to the EOS to include in a few higher end models with newer specs.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The q&a at the event is what got me...the reporters were on point thats for sure. I will watch the first few weeks to see if they can get away with selling this 925 with an upgraded camera for $299. They could describe no other features but the camera and same things already on other 92X variants. No mild processor bump, no mild screen size bump, I don't care if it is 1080p. But you telling me they couldn't put a Snap 400 in there or even a snap 200. Or a S4 pro with a 305 or better adreno than the 225 they been using. The 1020 in my opinion is a stopgap that is going to blow up in there face unless they already no they won't be selling a lot. And the real flag ship comes out in the fall to winter this year. My guess the real flag ship is later this year and this is indeed a stopgap.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
As we previously heard, GDR3 will bring quad core support, 1080p resolution, and hopefully usher in an ere of larger screen sizes (a phablet at Nokia world is looking quite promising right about now).
Apparently the delay of WP Blue has lead to some features that were initially set to some out in the Blue update to be added to GDR3.
So basically once again Nokia have made a killer device, and Microsoft have killed it with their incompetence and slow updates, thank you. Really.

techknight

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Worthy upgrade? I don't believe its supposed to be. Its literally the best of the 808 combined with the current 92x platform. Its what many of the mobile photography centric users - like me - have been clamoring and waiting for since the 808 was announced. Finally, a world class smartphone camera on a platform that is modern and capable.

fatrat727

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If they wanted to sell a lot they would have released it on VZW instead. The 822 did start outselling the 920 when it came out. And the 928 is the highest rated phone on VZW currently. Nice camera but for what's built in all you are paying for is a expensive camera. The 928 is $99. same specs cross board except for the camera and maybe the os version. now if they would've added night vision now that would be a key selling point lol. $199 seem more ideal. I give it two weeks and we will see the $100 price cut. at $199 now your competing with the S4. $299 sounds like an over estimate because its not competing with any device with that price. even camera lovers would overlook it only because of the price. $299 and its a windows phone? A S4 would be easier to sell. Plus how many att reps will actually demo the camera?? if they do more than likely next to a Iphone 5 or S4 you wouldn't see a difference because the screens on those devices will easily make up for it. Unless they get creative and prove the 1020 has the better camera which they won't then they stand a chance of selling. $199 is the key price for flagships. I mean 16gb iphones sales way more than a 32gb any day of the week. I love my 928 and windows phone os but the price and the fact its on the 2nd best carrier not the first doesn't mix well to me. Price cut wait for it then watch them fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss