Lumia 1020 is not a worthy upgrade

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I slightly disagree. I love my 920, but I would love to have the 1020. I am not a professional photographer, but I like to take pictures.

For years, I scoffed at the idea of taking pictures with a phone... I had a point and shoot and my dslr. Well, as the phones pics got better, so did my phone. Just to go a year back, focus-900-920. I gave my point and shoot away 2-3 years ago. My dslr is too big to carry all the time.

Nokia has done me well with the phone and camera. I absolutely love WP7/8. I gave up my IOS and android devices years ago too.

Bottom line, I am really considering getting the 1020. It would be great to have. The camera is enough of an upgrade if you can do it or you can see it being useful.

I agree hardware wise, it is old/current, but since has windows phone been spec at the max? Have we complained too much?! I wish the battery was better, but no deal breaker. Wireless charging... Yeah, you can use the case, but how many cases and accessories will one need to buy for this phone? The only thing holding me back is a real "new" phone in the 3rd/4th qtr.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The camera tech in the 1020 is amazing.

It is not a 920 upgrade. It is a new series for people who put the camera as their main priority on the phone.

In that regard, it's a HUGE upgrade over anything on the market. Nothing else at retail comes close.

When it comes to upgrade time, and the next gen of phones are out, we'll have the choice of the 9xx series of 10xx series. And the only difference might be the camera.

I will say that I am not getting the 1020. And it's not because I don't think it's a great phone.

I am disappointed in the lack of wireless charging. I don't want to make my wireless chargers useless. I also dont want to spend extra money for a wireless charging shell. I hope that the next ten will include wireless charging.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You have actually no idea what you are talking about and should just stop posting "information". BSI is superior to FSI because the wiring is behind the photocathode layer, allowing more light onto the sensor, hence better low-light performance. Everyone knows that and it's common knowledge. It's one of the reasons why the 808 didn't do as well in low-light.

Err what? There is a ton of 808 low-light pictures on flickr and everywhere around that look fantastic, way better than any official Nokia samples from 1020...

here is just one example for you and since you say you are not lazy freely go and find other examples

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/201305052343DrX30k.jpg

can you show me 1020 image that has even close quality? Up to this day, I haven't found any.

When it comes to camera phones and point-n-shoots, BSI is always the preferred (albeit more expensive) solution. With DSLR, it's less important because the sensor is already massive (by comparison) and you can use low f-stop lens (F/1.2, f/1.4, etc) to compensate. Mobiles and PNS don't have that luxury, hence why BSI is such a big deal. It's also super expensive to make a BSI DSLR-sized sensor.

DSLRs are already expensive especially those professional so bigger price is not the problem for them, and if BSI were so good nobody would mess with another lens instead of having better sensor at all conditions.

You say BSI is great for phones, all phones I have seen with BSI sensor have unnatural colors, oversharpening and black spots/lines which make picture imperfect. Including 1020.

FSI makes no sense from an engineering perspective. It's just cheaper.

Yeah, Hasselblad is known for cutting the costs in their cameras...

Dude, just stop...you're killing me

it's not me, it's arguments...sorry if you can't live with them

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
As others have said, I see this as a new series, not a successor to (or replacement for) the 920. That said, I would ditch my own 920 and get this if it meant being able to print more photos.

I'm fine with the $300, but I'm not sure I can get past the idea of paying AT&T an extra upgrade fee on top of a new contract.

Last edited:

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is one comparison bethween 808,925 and 920
Nokia Lumia 925, le nostre prove di scatto e riprese video a confronto con Lumia 920 e 808 PureView | Windowsteca – Windows Phone Blog

Those 808 shots doesn't look that good to me. I actually prefer 925 shots over 808. And when it comes to low light 925 beats 808 easily. I bet 1020 can give quite nice low light shots over 808 and 925.

From those samples you can on most of them see more noise on the 925 on close up and the colors look more real on the 808 compared to the 925.

I wonder when some reviews with direct 808 vs 1020 comparisons start comming out.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is one comparison bethween 808,925 and 920
Nokia Lumia 925, le nostre prove di scatto e riprese video a confronto con Lumia 920 e 808 PureView | Windowsteca – Windows Phone Blog

Those 808 shots doesn't look that good to me. I actually prefer 925 shots over 808. And when it comes to low light 925 beats 808 easily. I bet 1020 can give quite nice low light shots over 808 and 925.

808 has bad auto mode, in creative mode its far better than any other phone

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
So what I've gathered is:

1. If you have a 92x variant it's not worth it to upgrade unless you REALLY!! need good photos.
2. Is a good upgrade if you still have a WP7 phone or a another low model below the 92x series.
3. Not a good upgrade because it doesn't have a bajillion cores and 1080p.
4. Not a good upgrade because the price is too high/ and carrier exclusive.

Interesting, points. It's a great phone I'm 50/50 on the matter as I like taking photos. The guy wanting the latest and greatest of everything clearly is in the wrong camp for cell phones. Its an alternative phone catering to a market who happens to like pictures possibly the beginning photographer/instagram crowd. It's not a bad decision. If you feel like it's not worthy keep being patient. One day pigs will fly as well if you keep being patient.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

1. If you have a 92x variant it's not worth it to upgrade unless you REALLY!! need good photos.
2. Is a good upgrade if you still have a WP7 phone or a another low model below the 92x series.

Interesting, points. It's a great phone I'm 50/50 on the matter as I like taking photos. The guy wanting the latest and greatest of everything clearly is in the wrong camp for cell phones. Its an alternative phone catering to a market who happens to like pictures possibly the beginning photographer/instagram crowd. It's not a bad decision. If you feel like it's not worthy keep being patient. One day pigs will fly as well if you keep being patient.

It's like customising an laptop - if you need faster GPU - you pay for the upgrade.
Base component are largely fixed between the 925 and 1020 - this neatly reduces platform dev cost.
So if you need the extra photo capability, you pay for it through the nose! (extra $250)

Had Nokia increased 1020's CPU performance, the battery would have suffered. In turn needing a thicker body. Instead - they quite smartly decided to milk the last drop of the S4 MSM8960 chip first used in 920; it's not bad strategy as it's a potent chip. If it's not broken, don't fix it - right? So when next gen comes by - it'll be a clean sweep. In the same sense - they didn't change 925/928's CPU. Even though the handset undergoes 6month cycle, the underlying platform is on 12month cycle.

This is pretty neat as on WP platform - given Nokia's sole focus on WP platform, they really aren't gonna be beaten by HTC's CPU muscle alone (Love to see if HTC would porting their "Ultrapixel" to WP). That said, this is a risky strategy as it assumes there is no like-for-like competitor. (HTC's doing not that great financially.)

Last edited:

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

1. It's actually perfect upgrade as you will feel like at home, only with a very good camera unlike 920.
2. If you have money and like WP just go for it.
3. That doesn't matter since WP is fluid with this hardware, it doesn't need more cores nor is 1080p noticeable on a tiny phone screen.
4. It all depends, if you want modern OS with a good camera this is your only choice, if you have money buy it and if you don't - leave it or steal it.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
What I find interesting is that had this device NOT been planned for release this quarter, Lumia 92x owners wouldn't even be talking about upgrades at this point in time; they would simply be happy using their devices which have only been on the market for eight months or less.

Besides, those 92x users who just signed a contract are locked in for about two years (if US) anyway; given how many people are balking at the price of this device, it's hard to believe that any of them would pay the ETF to get Lumia 1020 anyway.

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It seems like a lot of people will try to convince themselves that its not a worthy upgrade, but I think it is in pretty much every way...

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Looks like an awesome device. This is definetly a worthy successor to my Lumia 900. I love it and all, but I picked up my 900 on launch day, it's time for something new.

But my two big caveats are:
1) Price - This is a really[/i} expensive phone. If anything were to happen to it, I'd be really screwed over...
2) Model Refresh in the Fall - If the rumors are true, Nokia will be launching their third generation Lumia devices this upcoming fall. While I love my Lumia 900, words can't describe how flustered I was when mere months after buying it, my phone was obsolete and overshadowed by the Lumia 920. I don't want to buy this phone, and then have just months later, Nokia release this exact same phone, but with a faster processor, built in wireless charging, 1080p screen, etc. I understand in the world of tech, the next great thing is always around the corner, but most manufacturers at least let their flagship device stay king for a year. Meanwhile, Nokia is constantly shaking up the monarchy.

Not entirely sure whether to buy now and risk it, or just wait a few months longer. Nonetheless, the idea of a 41MP camera phone is really appealing. Words can't describe how many good shots I've missed because my dSLR was too bulky to carry with me at an event, and I had to settle for less-than-satisfactory Lumia 900 photos.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Looks like an awesome device...But my two big caveats are:
1) Price - This is a really[/i} expensive phone.
2) Model Refresh in the Fall - If the rumors are true, Nokia will be launching their third generation Lumia devices this upcoming fall

What have you heard about new Lumias in the fall?

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
well, it is known GDR3 will support 1080p screens and quad-core...so i believe, for the 920 successor, it will be at least a quad-core!

It's quite easy to guess next high end Lumia series specs.
Quad core
2Gb RAM
1080p screen between 4,7-5"
13Mpix camera at least, OIS and maybe some new unannounced camera tech on the side.
Aluminium body maybe

920 camera sucks most of a time. I was more happy of image quality before first camera software update. Now all my photos are filled of that hideous plotchy noise and i can't stand looking those photos from my computer screen. Before update photos were almost noise free and sharp enough. Actually i don't know why people complained about sharpness of 920 shots before update. Photos are fine if not looking full screen but i like looking them that way.

I am definetely going to upgrade. There is one but and that is release date here in Finland. Even 925 is yet unannounced and it is probably October when 1020 is released here :( By then next launch of Lumia series on the door and ultimately it pours down to prize. It very well maybe that i suck it down and tolerate that crappy IQ of 920 and just wait.

Hopefully there is fixes coming to 920 camera IQ on GDR2 update. Then it would make life bit easier :D

jonathonpm

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been wondering if the 1020 is a worthy upgrade, the camera looks pretty sweet and I look forward to playing with it in a shop but the rest as you say is much of the same. I don't think the screen needs to be any bigger, it is a pretty good size. Design wise I would have liked less bezel and maybe something a bit more radical, the design is still very similar to that of the 920. Updated internals would be good and obviously 2GB of ram is a nice addition but the 920 is still speedy and it is the way WP manages app resumes that is the frustrating part of using the phone. The loss of wireless charging sucks as I love that and am not buying a cover just for it.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
What I find interesting is that had this device NOT been planned for release this quarter, Lumia 92x owners wouldn't even be talking about upgrades at this point in time; they would simply be happy using their devices which have only been on the market for eight months or less.

Besides, those 92x users who just signed a contract are locked in for about two years (if US) anyway; given how many people are balking at the price of this device, it's hard to believe that any of them would pay the ETF to get Lumia 1020 anyway.

Well I buy my phones off contract. So most likely which I dont know how many people do the same as I do, but I buy the phone outright, take my sim card out of my old phone, drop it into the new phone, VIOLA! New phone, contract stays the same no ETF.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb