Why all the backlash against 1020!

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think its funny all the droidsheep and ipeople that laughed at my 928 liked it after they played with it. Most talking about how fast it was compared to thiers. My neighbor (who I don't like) came over with his new S4 talking about how great it is compared to my 928. I asked him to start opening apps to see how it preformed. He got 4 opened and running before it freezes up. I got 7 open and running and flipping open more still running strong before he walked off. I hate it when people talk crap about WP and know nothing about it.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually.. look at things in a different perspective.
Had Nokia actually go with quad core, 1080 screen & making Android device, what do you think of their chance of competition and even margins?

Right now, almost exclusively I can assume that Windows Phone belongs to Nokia already. They have the ability to develop & have a say in both hardware and software, and commanding a premium price since it does not have to go head to head with many manufactures. Just exactly like Apple, even without marketshare they are able to get most of the industries' profit.

Look at the PC market, with companies like Lenovo, HP, Dell, Samdung, Toshiba, & etc competiting with the same software and hardware. There's almost no room for profit, margins for such a market is simply less than 5%. As a consumer yourself, do you even care who your PC manufacture is when you buy a new notebook/desktop? Honestly I don't care. I've been jumping from Acer > HP > Asus over the years until recently which is a Surface Pro.
Obviously, we have not seen the effect of plunging price yet since the market is still growing. But there are signs of crack lines with Samsung missing this quarter target, this is in fact already happening. Poor Samsung that's trying to 'fix' their sales by flooding the market with a new variant of S4 every week.

In the short term, yes Android. However if you are one that's looking for long term growth, I find Windows Phone to be more fruitful.
I'm an investor of Nokia myself with over 30k shares, and I have faith in the company's long term growth.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
When you have little to no market share, you need to bring more to the table to compete with the well established smartphones. Nokia/WP has not done that, and a nice camera on a featureless phone is not going to get many positive reviews. .

It may not have every feature that competing smartphones have but it is not Featureless.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
That contract between MS and Nokia, does it say that Nokia can not sell Android based cameras? Cause if not, why not a variant of the 1020 that only has WLAN and is a camera...

Qualcomm has too many quad core chips on its hands because the Samsung S4 is not selling as well as Samsung thought. Nokia could maybe get a good price on those. Then 2Gb of RAM, 16Gb of storage and the SIM slot becomes a max. 64Gb SD Card slot. Use Android 4.2.2 stock with a Nokia Camera app. Then Nokia could talk to HTC and source some 4.7 inch LCD panels in Full HD with them. Result could be an incredible Android based compact camera that you can connect by BT or WLAN to any Mobile Phone...

Priced around $549.- it would sell very well.

Last edited:

AaHaa

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if it helps, but I honestly thought the general reaction to the 1020 was pretty good. I haven't been reading a lot of articles about it, but I certainly didn't detect some huge negative backlash... And if I'm not mistaken, Nokia published a cool, albeit pretty biased, article on their Conversations page about the "positive" direction towards the 1020 reveal.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
F*** tha camera! How about fixing an ancient problem like "other" memory!!! How many threads does there have to be for anyone to get off their *** n fix ****!

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
That contract between MS and Nokia, does it say that Nokia can not sell Android based cameras? Cause if not, why not a variant of the 1020 that only has WLAN and is a camera...

Qualcomm has too many quad core chips on its hands because the Samsung S4 is not selling as well as Samsung thought. Nokia could maybe get a good price on those. Then 2Gb of RAM, 16Gb of storage and the SIM slot becomes a max. 64Gb SD Card slot. Use Android 4.2.2 stock with a Nokia Camera app. Then Nokia could talk to HTC and source some 4.7 inch LCD panels in Full HD with them. Result could be an incredible Android based compact camera that you can connect by BT or WLAN to any Mobile Phone...

Priced around $549.- it would sell very well.

Focus... if you are doing too many things at once, you won't do the other well.
The problem isn't just creating an android device and Nokia will be successful. Any random companies like Huawei, china white box manufactuer can do it. They need to invest a lot on software and support too.

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have only one complaint - GPU. They should have given 925 and 1020 a better GPU, then it would be ideal - most of the games would run ideal.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts (if anyone cares).

It's big and kind of ugly (back side). I carry a phone to do my day to day things, games, web browsing, email, texts and oh, yea, phone calls. The camera is a 2nd thing, I have a 9XX because I wanted the best I can get in the phone itself but, it still has to fit in my pocket with out a big bulk sticking out of it. I do not take professional pictures, so a need of a professional quality phone is not needed here.

Besides the camera, nothing crazy innovative about this phone at all. 16gb storage (really ?) but, some carriers with 32gb. No expandable storage ? Not better CPU, no major change in the OS (GDR2 but, everyone will get that).

To me, on paper and looks, it looks like a 920ish phone with a lot better camera. Nothing more.

Even if it came to a carrier that I use, I would skip over this one. I have no desire for that bulk in the camera in my pocket day to day.

Don't get me wrong when I am in Mall or plaza with a AT&T store in it, I might drop in to take a look at it but, I still stand by my thoughts here...

My 928 will hold me out till the next WP devices hit (8.5 or 9)...or with better hardware and this is not it for me

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a niche phone. Not everyone, or not a lot of people, are going to be interested in it. My phone doesn't need to rival my digital camera. I get how the 41mp will help with lossless zoom, etc, but most people aren't proficient enough in camera tech to bother messing with Nokia's latest creation. The thing isn't that Nokia is doing a bad job, it's that WP is doing a bad job.

Aldiggi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I hope the camera really lives up to the hype and not disappoint like the 920 with its focus issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well i feel abit sheepish now lol as compared spec to spec the L1020 is near identical to the L920 however after looking into 1020 alot more and evaluating my usage habits.. I realised I rarely use wireless charging as it takes longer than charging via usb and I've got to say i might be purchasing the L1020 off contract I don't see me trading in my L920 anytime soon. The motorised image stabilisation is just mind blowing!

The only way this thing will sell is the word of mouth, just like shadowshataan said no one believed the music video was taken with a phone thus underestimating the capabilities of the L920. So yeah in order to get the word out, we need to show what L1020 can do!.

Edit: just read this guys post and almost made my eyes water with rage, hence the edit.

My thoughts (if anyone cares).

It's big and kind of ugly (back side). I carry a phone to do my day to day things, games, web browsing, email, texts and oh, yea, phone calls. The camera is a 2nd thing, I have a 9XX because I wanted the best I can get in the phone itself but, it still has to fit in my pocket with out a big bulk sticking out of it. I do not take professional pictures, so a need of a professional quality phone is not needed here.

Really? have you seen the profile from the side? it is 10.4 mm with the camera, the L920 is 10.7 mm, L928 is 10.1mm seriously some people..

Besides the camera, nothing crazy innovative about this phone at all. 16gb storage (really ?) but, some carriers with 32gb. No expandable storage ? Not better CPU, no major change in the OS (GDR2 but, everyone will get that).

16gb?????????? quit spreading FUD alright? it is 32gb as standard and 64gb exclusive to Telefonica.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99