How did (almost) all the reports miss that it was PenTile?

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
PenTile is a pretty major flaw to not even mention. I know many people don't really notice it, but many of us do. I fell pretty let down to have been excited about this device all week, only to have a couple sites finally mention that the display is PenTile. I use a GS3 and GNex at work and cannot not see the horrible checkerboard effect even at 720p, so I guess I'm getting the 920 after all. What a disappointment; the 1020's camera looks really amazing. Maybe everyone was supposed to know that AMOLED tech hasn't improved in the past year? The L900 was RGB stripe AMOLED, so I had hoped they could make good AMOLED screens at 768p by now. Oh well.

Here's where I learned about it:

Nokia Lumia 1020 Photo Gallery

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the 928, I was worried about Pentile having seen some of the early Android Pentile devices. I find the resolution to be high enough that it hasn't been a concern for me (and my vision is getting worse :p ).

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
not only it's pentile, its contrast is way too bad for a cameraphone...

What is it ? I was going to wait for GSMarena to measure it up.. the 808 is still on top of their list, and from experience with many cameraphones, that is probably
the most important aspect of the screen.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
not only it's pentile, its contrast is way too bad for a cameraphone...
As someone who has actually handled the device, I have to completely disagree. The screen is gorgeous on the 1020 and an improvement over the 920.

Seriously, unless you've seen this phone in person, you should hold back any criticisms over certain aspects of it. It's easy to dismiss pentile AMOLED in a forum, but quite different when you have the phone in your hands and use it for awhile.

(Also, Samsung tends to reserve their non-Pentile AMOLED displays for themselves).

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Daniel have you used it on a sunny day? Unless GSMArena has got a faulty device numbers prove otherwise, sorry. 1020 has the same contrast like other "usual" smartphones and I very well know what is the difference between them and 808. There are literally situations where you have to put second hand over those phones to read something while you can use 808 normally, if you still have access to 1020 try to find some 808 and compare for yourself.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Daniel have you used it on a sunny day? Unless GSMArena has got a faulty device numbers prove otherwise, sorry. 1020 has the same contrast like other "usual" smartphones and I very well know what is the difference between them and 808. There are literally situations where you have to put second hand over those phones to read something while you can use 808 normally, if you still have access to 1020 try to find some 808 and compare for yourself.
I use a Lumia 928, with pentile AMOLED and prefer it over the 920 LCD, including for outdoor performance.

Between the ClearBlack polarizer, sunlight readability mode and the new bonding process (thinner glass/layers), these new AMOLED screens are really nice. I have the ATIV S, which has a non-pentile AMOLED and it's also great to use, but I prefer ClearBlack + pentile AMOLED over it.

Ultimately for some, AMOLED is "too much" contrast and it's a preference thing. But the reason Nokia is using it is because it's thinner than LCD.

Throw in Nokia's display color profile feature and you can even tune your display to how you want for saturation, etc.

My one complaint about AMOLED is it can be too bright sometimes. The 920's LCD works well in a movie theater where the 928s AMOLED is often still too bright in the dark, imo.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
umh, that is OK but 920/928 screens have nothing to do with 808 which has more than twice bigger contrast than those(together with 1020) and that's what really matters for cameraphones meant to be used under very sunny conditions

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Where does anyone think contrast is lacking on AMOLED displays, anyway? It is one of the key advantages to the technology, made possible since blacks are actually black. The display on this 928 is amazing, and it is also evident Nokia put some work tuning the display for color accuracy as well.

edit: and the sunlight readability is fine. I have used this thing outdoors in high noon sunlight, surrounded by light surfaces, and no problems reading it.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
umh, that is OK but 920/928 screens have nothing to do with 808 which has more than twice bigger contrast than those(together with 1020) and that's what really matters for cameraphones meant to be used under very sunny conditions
Once again, you're making comments about what is on paper vs actually using it. As a hobbyist photographer, I had no complaints with the 1020 and seeing in sunlight. Granted, we'll know more when review units go out but honestly, the screen on the 1020 is quite nice and I don't have any initial reservations.

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
They say the higher the resolution - the power it takes to sustain same brightness. But 808 is off the chart.

808.jpg

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I hope the lumia 1080 or whatever nokia's next phone will be, will have a ips display.

Personally, I would go for a AMOLED over an IPS. Before you guys start yapping about AMOLED, Non-PenTile AMOLED is used by Samsung only. Ever noticed that a very high majority of HD AMOLED screens use PenTile? Thats because PenTile is better for higher resolution screens. AMOLED is energy-saving, and produces better contrast and very deep blacks. I use a Lumia 920 and when I'm outdoors, the colors get really really bad, which I believe is a Nokia issue, (try turning brightness to automatic and go out in direct sunlight). IPS LCDs, however better with colors, cannot produce deeper dark colors. Which is why after using my HTC 8X, I sold it for an ATIV S. I prefer AMOLED. For the 1020, a low-energy display would be much better for a 41MP shooter and it is alot slimmer, without a backlight; it slims down the phone, providing more space for components.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb