1020, micro-hdmi or MHL?

mados123

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I checked the specs and didn't find anything but maybe I missed something. Does anyone have info regarding whether or not the 1020 will have a micro-hdmi or MHL connection? I saw somewhere on one of those 'rivals' websites, it said TV-out but who knows what that means. The specs on the Nokia page say nothing. Anyone?

Thanks!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It almost definitely won't. Windows Phone doesn't support that. You can use the Nokia "Play To" app to send some content via DLNA though.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I'm hoping that's eventually possible with a future WP update; Windows 8.1 adds Miracast support for wireless mirroring, so I'd love if WP8.1 or even a version after that added support for that as well.

mados123

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping that's eventually possible with a future WP update; Windows 8.1 adds Miracast support for wireless mirroring, so I'd love if WP8.1 or even a version after that added support for that as well.
Wireless mirroring would be an upgrade but then 1. you need additional technology to connect to (beyond a HDMI compatible TV) and 2. there's some lag seen with the wireless setup such as AirPlay (which I used with an AppleTV and was connected via Ethernet and using an wireless 'n' network). Not sure if the latest mirroring is better with faster CPUs (or other tech used for compression).

mados123

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I watched a recording of the 1020 unveiling on YouTube, and Nokia had some sort of cord plugged into the bottom of the 1020, showing a live feed from the 1020, including using ProCamera on their presentation screen.
Example at 36:01
Better example at 40:00
Great investigating! I'm curious though that since they have some 'touch dots' on the screen, were those cameras just experimental? I guess it's good though to see it's capable and it looks like it is through the USB port (@38:48). Maybe MHL is on its way?

Last edited:

mados123

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious though that since they have some 'touch dots' on the screen, were those cameras just experimental? I guess it's good though to see it's capable and it looks like it is through the USB port (@38:48). Maybe MHL is on its way?

Looks like my curiosity is going to be satisfied!

"A new project my screen settings module allows you to control and set up the screen projection / external viewing. Some Windows Phone 8.1. devices (hardware dependent) will have support for wireless external display (likely through WiFi Direct based technologies). It also appears devices can connect to external displays / screen via a USB connection."
Windows Phone 8.1 details emerge from preview SDK leak (updated)

project%u00252520my%u00252520screen.jpg

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Video out is added to WP 8.1, but it's still not microHDMI or MHL though. To use a cable, you have to run a program on the PC that you're connected to via USB.

There's also Miracast support, but that is only going to be available for certain devices (almost definitely not the 1020).

mados123

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Video out is added to WP 8.1, but it's still not microHDMI or MHL though. To use a cable, you have to run a program on the PC that you're connected to via USB.

There's also Miracast support, but that is only going to be available for certain devices (almost definitely not the 1020).

Wow, that would suck on all levels as none of the solutions would address my need to have a 1020 simply connected to an HDMI equipped monitor.

Last edited:

David Watson6

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I have tried various dlna dongles, dedicated dlna tvs and there is daylight between the difference in performance when scrolling through images.

More to the point the Play To is constrained to Photos, Videos, Music, you can't actually mirror the screen, Beamer is a separate app to Play To and requires both tv and phone to be connected to the internet

Microsoft needs to add this feature.

The most obvious use for this is showing other people your pictures, however moving through pictures via a wireless connection is the terrible.

The N95 had this 7 years ago, to not include this feature today is a gross oversight, it kills me to see this running on a Samsung s5

mados123

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The N95 had this 7 years ago, to not include this feature today is a gross oversight, it kills me to see this running on a Samsung s5

And to see the advances with video output with something like the Sony Xperia Z2 phone/Snapdragon 801 and its ability to do 4k output via MHL 3.0 as well as it catching up with 'lossless zoom' makes me hope the next generation of the 1020 will have more competitive and inclusive specs (microSD slot, MHL 3.0, higher res screen, etc.).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro