Lumia 1020 or a 'cheap' SLR?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I got a Nokia N8 in 2010 and at the time I've had my Canon xti for about a year I think. As soon as I started shooting with the N8, I knew that it suits my needs better than the big camera.. the jpeg processing was good enough, and the IQ was more than enough for my needs.

To be honest, the N8 sort of unlocked my photography skills and inspired me to look at things in a more artistic way because it was always with me.. so I always had something to shoot with which gave me a good enough result.

The 808 .. well that a whole different level.. I would never need a compact point and shoot again.

I still have my DSLR just for "special" occasions where I need proper zoom, faster/lower shutter speeds.. I dunno just to have it. I think the best combination for an amateur photographer is to have a good camera phone + a cheaper/used DSLR to play around with.

My dream combo is Nokia 808 + Nikon D800 with couple of good lenses.

So, considering that the 1020 is a proper camera phone, has faster/slower shutter speeds than the 808.. I think it will be more than enough for most people out there. I am yet to max out my 808 in terms of what it can do.. in other words, I think it's abilities still surpass my talent.

what exactly? You can do the same with 808...which has even more powerful flash.

The flash on the 1020 is supposed to cover 4.5 meters..and I believe that the 808 is at 4 meters, so if not better.. the WP device is just as good.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The Xenon Flash is a bit smaller than on the Nokia 808: GN 3.2 versus GN 3.5 – GN stands for light output.

I can't see how weaker xenon can shoot longer distance and don't forget Nokia is trying to sell 1020 while 808 production is stopped so they will advertise it as the best device in every aspect and I don't believe them one bit there(remember "stabilisation van") :)

P098

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Deja vu :D

this all dslr vs phone had taken place nearly a year ago, when 808 was launched. truth to be told, theres no point in comparing the two. Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages, so OP should go with his own discretion.

I read this somewhere: camera is like a paint brush, painting depends on how good the painter is, not on the paintbrush. :)

Koeitje

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd get a 1020 for the versatility (though I'd rather get an 808, since it works better as a phone)
Either an 808 or a DSLR for the quality.
The 808 has a larger FSI sensor than the 1020 BSI sensor. Oh well.

The difference between the 808 and the 1020 is smaller than the difference between an 808 and a DSLR. I'd even go as far as saying that the 1020 will be better than the 808 shooting available light, like in a pub for example.

Ruben de Boer

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the lumia 1020 will be better than cheap compact cameras because its smaller and has better software especially the zoom after you made the picture. Then for the real professionals a good camera is better of course but you just dont carry such an camera Always while you can carry the 1020 with you all the time

P098

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
good, then we can all switch to VGA cameras

may be you didnt understand my response, a better camera doesnot necessarily take a better photo, its about the photographer, more talented he is, the better the photo will be. you disagree??please do so, but before you do it, just head over to flickr and see works of some talented photographers with nokia 808, and compare it too some ****ty work of dslr owner.

camera doesnot elevate your photographic talent.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The difference between the 808 and the 1020 is smaller than the difference between an 808 and a DSLR. I'd even go as far as saying that the 1020 will be better than the 808 shooting available light, like in a pub for example.

in IQ terms? I'm not sure...and colors on 808&DSLR are almost the same natural colors while 1020 colors are same like on other basic smartphones like Xperia Z etc. Nothing strange since 808&DSLRs use FSI sensor while 1020&basic smartphones use BSI...

may be you didnt understand my response, a better camera doesnot necessarily take a better photo, its about the photographer, more talented he is, the better the photo will be. you disagree??please do so, but before you do it, just head over to flickr and see works of some talented photographers with nokia 808, and compare it too some ****ty work of dslr owner.

camera doesnot elevate your photographic talent.

better camera takes better photo the same way better photographer will take better photo, combination of two gives the best results :) how would you take a good photo in a very low light situation with an iphone? Impossibiru.

P098

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
better camera takes better photo the same way better photographer will take better photo, combination of two gives the best results :) how would you take a good photo in a very low light situation with an iphone? Impossibiru.

I agree, you see an average person will take a photo in auto mode in 808, which you will agree, is not that great, but a talented photographer will switch to creative mode and try different settings.

My whole point is, please dont compare 1020 with dslr, first make up your mind, do you want a phone? or you want to get a camera? My personal advice to OP would be, if you are new to photography, and want to explore more, then get a nokia 1020, and when you are proficient with all the settings and techniques, buy a dslr later.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It all depends on your needs.. if you think your skill level is high enough for a professional camera, then that's what you get, but for the most part a camera like the 1020 should be more than enough.

Also, I think a lot of people overlook the fact that the 1020 would record better sound during video than almost all DSLRs out there.. and you can bring with you anywhere, and your hand won't get tired of holding it up for 10-20 mins...

You will need a separate microphone for your dslr to get better sound quality..

The difference between the 808 and the 1020 is smaller than the difference between an 808 and a DSLR..

True. Depending on which DSLR have in mind.. the difference can vary

I'd even go as far as saying that the 1020 will be better than the 808 shooting available light, like in a pub for example.

Hm.. we will have to wait and see. The 808 seems to clean up the junk (noise/grain, etc) very well in pretty much all sorts of conditions, so.. I am not sure that there will be a big difference. The OIS should help, but I am not sure how much.

Where the 1020 will excel is video recording. I think it will be the ultimate video recording device.. HAAC, stereo recording, OIS, oversampling, zoom.. its solid! The 808 has great IQ and sound during video, but the stabilization sucks.. its almost non-existent.

The Xenon Flash is a bit smaller than on the Nokia 808: GN 3.2 versus GN 3.5 – GN stands for light output.

I can't see how weaker xenon can shoot longer distance and don't forget Nokia is trying to sell 1020 while 808 production is stopped so they will advertise it as the best device in every aspect and I don't believe them one bit there(remember "stabilisation van") :)

I see.. well then they might be lying because it think the 4.5 meter thing is in the white paper they published.

And ya.. I remember the van bs :)

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I would like to hear that stereo and compare it with 808, hope it's done a lot better than stereo on HTC 8X.

Stabilisation is excellent for video however 1. you can stabilise it afterwards on your PC (which takes time) and 2. buy some steadicam, 808 + steadicam is still quite a lot cheaper than 1020 :D

I agree, you see an average person will take a photo in auto mode in 808, which you will agree, is not that great, but a talented photographer will switch to creative mode and try different settings.

that is true however..an average person will be curious what is that creative mode and start experimenting..and eventually become better photographer :) before 808 I was not that much into photography(if at all), now I'm reviewing some quite expensive DSLRs and even thinking about should I buy a better car or camera, lol I blame it all on 808

as you have already pointed out 1020 is good for people who want to explore&see if photography is really for them, that's what compact cameras were for before 808&1020(and N8 to some extent)

Koeitje

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
in IQ terms? I'm not sure...and colors on 808&DSLR are almost the same natural colors while 1020 colors are same like on other basic smartphones like Xperia Z etc. Nothing strange since 808&DSLRs use FSI sensor while 1020&basic smartphones use BSI...

That has nothing to do with the sensor type. It has to do with the image processing. You can make a DSLR's output look like it was shot in Disney cartoon. Nokia just opted for a more saturnated output with the 1020. Hell, the standard JPEG output varies widely between different DSLR manufacturers.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
it does vary, but not this much I'd say

I have yet to see BSI camera that takes real color pictures, maybe those with FSI sensor are easier to "calibrate" to match reality

Michael Spencer

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
That has nothing to do with the sensor type. It has to do with the image processing. You can make a DSLR's output look like it was shot in Disney cartoon. Nokia just opted for a more saturnated output with the 1020. Hell, the standard JPEG output varies widely between different DSLR manufacturers.

True. Canon hasn't stopped punchy /vivid jpg, nor has Nikon ditched their flat output.
Time that Nokia experiments and find something that works for most of the consumers.
I mean let's be fair - Nokia's imaging team hasn't consistently stood behind one output look.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Canon is a bit punchier but not that much

look at this comparison with 808, not much difference although you can say it's a slight bit punchier

http://gadgeterija.tportal.hr/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/infokutije4crops.jpg

now look at the comparison between 808 Minolta and Iphone 4(which has BSI sensor), look at the tower color, it's literally night&day

http://gadgeterija.tportal.hr/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/infokutije1-560x420.jpg

Those a pretty good examples.

The color reproduction of the 808 came from the same family of jpeg processing the N8 came from.. very natural. I think Mr. Dinning pushed very hard in that direction.. its always easier to add saturation to a natural looking source jpeg, than the other way around.

You can pump up the saturation on the 808 as well..

I took this couple of days ago in Florida: http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/cam/nokia/808_pureview/20130713050652Fwhc.jpg

And I maxed out the saturation to see if I can get some grain .. and indeed, you can see it in the clouds.

Koeitje

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Canon is a bit punchier but not that much

look at this comparison with 808, not much difference although you can say it's a slight bit punchier

http://gadgeterija.tportal.hr/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/infokutije4crops.jpg

now look at the comparison between 808 Minolta and Iphone 4(which has BSI sensor), look at the tower color, it's literally night&day

http://gadgeterija.tportal.hr/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/infokutije1-560x420.jpg

All that proves is that the iphone processes pictures to look more warm.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
What would you choose to buy if you are into photography as a hobby?! And why?

Even though I'm biased and obsessed with the 1020, it won't replace a DSLR anytime soon. Maybe a cheapo-mid range PnS, but not a DSLR. That said, the 1020 is a good complement with a DSLR, not a replacement. ;)

Dre325

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Even though I'm biased and obsessed with the 1020, it won't replace a DSLR anytime soon. Maybe a cheapo-mid range PnS, but not a DSLR. That said, the 1020 is a good complement with a DSLR, not a replacement. ;)

I agree with this. There will continue to be situations that warrant the use of a dslr. For instance, it is nearly impossible to capture pictures of my 9 month old without high fps and I typically want a blurred background so I shoot her at f1.8 which also helps with low light indoors. The 1020 will not accomplish this primarily because it won't allow bursts of photos that are needed with infants. I'm excited about the 1020 for occasions that I don't have my dslr and hope it can replace my pocket size Canon SD880 for things like dinners with friends, hiking, and walking around new cities on vacation taking pics when I don't want the bulk of the dslr. My L900 camera is terrible and only rarely gets used for sending pics to Facebook so hopefully the 1020 can replace my compact camera for good. It will be nice for video as well, but in the same context as the above comparisons, there will still be cases where I will use my 1080p60 video camera with superior optical zoom and advanced settings at my fingertips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo