MMS Issues (Net10 HTC 8X)

backfat1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Recently picked up an unlocked HTC Windows Phone 8x and have activated it on Net10 with an AT&T BYOP SIM. Everything works great except receiving MMS messages. Calls, Data, SMS all work fine, but for some reason every time I receive a picture message I get a "Get Media Content Now" link that never actually retrieves the said media. I suspect APN settings could be wrong, but I've tried a variety of them with little avail. Any ideas? Does anyone actually have this up and running?

Thanks in advance - finally created an account after already getting plenty of help on this site!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral. :smile:

I've never used Net10, but I did find this thread. Hopefully those settings would work. It should not matter if you have an HTC 8X instead of Nokia 920.

backfat1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to provide a quick update unless anyone else has the same issue. While I still tried a variety of settings, nothing worked until I downloaded Handcent and set it up. Not sure what it did, but now the native messaging on the phone is working without a hitch.

kangoonie

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I just switched to NET10 from AT&T and I'm damn glad I did :excited:
Everything working for me so far, I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and I activated my phone using NET10's AT&T network and now I have LTE speeds up to 20Mbps - only 2.5 Gb of data though.
It took me a couple of hours to figure the right settings but here is how i set it up:
Go to Settings > cellular
Tap edit internet apn and under APN type tfdata and leave everything else blank and Save
Tap edit mms apn and type in this info
APN: tfdata
WAP gateway (URL): mms3.tracfone.com
WAP gateway port: 80
MMSC (URL): http://mms-tf.net/
MMSC port: 80
Leave everything else blank and Save
Now restart your phone, verify these settings and give it a couple of minutes, and everything should work just fine.
One of the features you don't get is visual voicemail, but fortunately there is an app for that... I downloaded Magik Mail and it's very good.
Other than that, everything works fine.
Good luck!

Guidos Dad

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I've got a 920 using an ATT sim. I had this 920 on NET10 earlier in the year, everything working ok. Then I'd go gone back to using my N4 for awhile. I decided to go back to the 920. I had to reset it because I'd cleaned everything off of it thinking about selling it. Long story short, get the phone reset, back on NET10. I put all the APN settings in that I'd used before and found everthing worked except I could not send or receive text messages with photos attached. After spending about 2 painful hours on NET10 service talking to two different reps who I had a heck of a time understanding, and then messing around on and off with it most of the day trying different settings, I got it now to where I can send a text out with a photo but I'm still not receiving any.

Kangoonie, your settings match what I have set under the MMS APN which also is what I had set for the first time I'd used the 920. Also matches what the 2nd NET10 rep told me to put. They also told me to put for the Internet APN, tfdata for the APN and then leave the other fields blank with only IPv4 set in the Network Type field. With these settings I've gotten it again to where I can send but still not receive photo text messages. My original settings for the Internet APN when I first used the 920 I had used tfdata, but had wireless.cingular.com for Proxy Address and 80 set in the PRoxy Port. Did not work with those settings.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I've read through and tried some of the different suggestions people have used and wrote here in the forums but, so far no success.

Moe920

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
THANKs Kangoonie!!!!! I've looked all over the internet and found ur post I just tried these settings on a ATT go phone Lumia 520 and it worked!!! I can receive and send picture text and use cell data.

Terry Carter

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
If you use NET10 with your windows phone (or a Samsung S4) here are the NEW APN settings. Net 10 has changed them in the last few weeks. They changed mine today. It took me over 4 hours to figure this out. DO NOT CALL Net 10 customer support they are too stupid to help anyone. If their prices was not 1/2 the price of At&t i would not use them. Well here is the APN settings that will make your internet & your MMS settings work:
Lets start with the internet first:
(name) (must be LARGE letters) NET10
APN = tfdata (must be small letters)
that is it, do not add or post anything else in your internet APN settings!

Now lets do the MMS settings:
name (must be all Large letters) NET10
category= MMS
MMSC= http://mms-tf.net
APN= tfdata
Proxy address = (must be in small letters) mms3.tracfone.com
Proxy domain = mms-tf.net
Proxy Port = 80

Ok like i said i spent over 4 hours trying to figure out these "New" Apn settings for Net10. I hope this will save you some time! Like i said Please do not waste your time calling NET10 they are complete idiots when it comes to this!! Have a great day!!!

caclarkfrieson

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello....
Don't know how long it's been since you resolved your issue, but I have a friend with the same phone and the same issues. Please explain Handcent?

backfat1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi caclarkfrieson,

I will have to check out the phone settings to see if I still have that application on there and the current settings for MMS. Is your friend's device running 8.1 DP? I will get back to you on the settings and if Handcent is still even installed - at one point I hard reset the phone and may not have put that application back on.

backfat1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Didn't check the 8x yet, but my unlocked 521 settings are as follows:

Connection Name: Net10
Internet:
Access Point Name: tfdata
Network Type: IPv4

MMS APN:
MMS Access Point Name: tfdata
Proxy address: mms2.tracfone.com
Proxy port: 80