Lumia 1020 Preorder Thread

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Talk about pain in the arse with AT&T. I originally pre-ordered on ATT with premiere early this morning because the MS Store wasn't taking pre-orders at the time. I came home from work and noticed the MS Store was taking pre-orders and I wanted the free grip thing. So I canceled my pre-order with ATT and lo-n behold, ATT never reset my upgrade status. I called ATT, they reset the upgrade and went over to order from the MS Store. Basically, ATT had trouble verifying my account -_____- Anyway after 2 hours of patience and talking to ATT, I finally got my order to go through the MS Store! yay!

Anyway, the customer support lady said (not sure if it was automated or not?) that this phone was very "popular" so they would ship out the phone whenever they received them. -Hopefully it won't take weeks like the 920 did.

Edit: Did anyone notice a price difference between ATT and the MS Store when upgrading?

Not to be a hater (I bought the phone, so I'm clearly a fan), but this phone will not be THAT popular. It will sell okay, but it's not a GS4 or an iPhone. They should have no trouble with stock unless they're trying to create artificial hype or they simply don't have good supply channels.

I have a feeling AT&T orders will get priority. I was tempted to stay with my order with them, but there was too much BS with "upgrades" and not simply being able to order it unlocked.

There is a $50 price difference, but in my case it's a no tax vs tax situation, so it evens out. I actually pay less through MS because they don't charge me sales tax.

giodelgado

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Not a lot of activity in this thread like for the 920, it seems there's going to be enough stock for everyone.

And I went through hell with ATT because my order got cancelled, they needed to verify my identity so I had to reorder and my status of first to preorder went to last...

the worst happened.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Talk about pain in the arse with AT&T. I originally pre-ordered on ATT with premiere early this morning because the MS Store wasn't taking pre-orders at the time. I came home from work and noticed the MS Store was taking pre-orders and I wanted the free grip thing. So I canceled my pre-order with ATT and lo-n behold, ATT never reset my upgrade status. I called ATT, they reset the upgrade and went over to order from the MS Store. Basically, ATT had trouble verifying my account -_____- Anyway after 2 hours of patience and talking to ATT, I finally got my order to go through the MS Store! yay!

Anyway, the customer support lady said (not sure if it was automated or not?) that this phone was very "popular" so they would ship out the phone whenever they received them. -Hopefully it won't take weeks like the 920 did.

Edit: Did anyone notice a price difference between ATT and the MS Store when upgrading?

Personally if I was working at customer support and we got 1,000 calls in one day pertaining to one item, it would surely seem like the phone is VERY popular. In the grand scheme of things though, that 1,000 wouldn't even make a dent in the market share. Even 10,000 wouldn't be much...it'd have to get into the hundred thousands to even begin to compete with the iPhone 5, which sold 5million in three days according to CNN. Of course they also launched in several countries across multiple carriers...but still.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an upgrade available, and for some reason I was unable to preorder from AT&T. After an hour or so on the phone with AT&T, plus a trip to the local store, my $700 was unable to be spent. It took me about 2 minutes to order on the MS website. However, my gut + past experience tells me the AT&T preorders will arrive sooner.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Personally if I was working at customer support and we got 1,000 calls in one day pertaining to one item, it would surely seem like the phone is VERY popular. In the grand scheme of things though, that 1,000 wouldn't even make a dent in the market share. Even 10,000 wouldn't be much...it'd have to get into the hundred thousands to even begin to compete with the iPhone 5, which sold 5million in three days according to CNN. Of course they also launched in several countries across multiple carriers...but still.

Yea, I know. Basically, I was chatting online with a representative...not specifically speaking over the phone. It looked like an automated message to me. -Maybe it is a failsafe to say that for if/whenever they do get a lot of orders? -Whatever, I know this device will not see a lot of sales either from ATT (unless ATT drops the price to reasonable non-premi prices) or off contract.

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I really thought that the camera grip had wireless charging capabilities too. That sucks that it doesn't. Anyways, I preordered mines thru MS, but still pending ATT approval. If it doesn't get approved in going to MS on launch day and purchasing it off contract.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I really thought that the camera grip had wireless charging capabilities too. That sucks that it doesn't. Anyways, I preordered mines thru MS, but still pending ATT approval. If it doesn't get approved in going to MS on launch day and purchasing it off contract.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

It really should have wireless charging...even if it did add bulk, anyone using the camera grip wouldn't notice it being a few mm thicker! Also, does anyone know if ordering through Microsoft store off contract still nets you the camera grip? I didn't see one in my order confirmation.

Chakram

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
MS Store say they will ship on launch day, so the 26th. The info comes up when you click "preorder ships when available", a pop up window comes up with FAQ.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
MS Store say they will ship on launch day, so the 26th. The info comes up when you click "preorder ships when available", a pop up window comes up with FAQ.

That would be incredibly inconvenient. The 26th is a Friday. We wouldn't get them until the following week. Unless they time it so the ARRIVE Friday, like Apple does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Pre-ordered from the Microsot Store Online. Just gotta keep in mind that their online orders are fulfilled by a different company, not by Microsoft, so there is always that chance that they won't get their stock on launch. If not, then I just walk on to a Microsoft Store and pick one up on launch day.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
so the question is how do you get a premier account to order online?
I thought anyone can order online? I have a premier account (didn't really know I had one) BC my I get a 15% discount from my employer. But anyway you should be able to order the 1020, even if your not a premiere account holder.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
So I wasn't going to jump in expecting a full price upgrade, but went to the Microsoft Store, checked upgrade eligibility and low and behold I was eligible on my line. o_O The wife and I both upgraded to 920s, my upgrade was early but because of computer issues, we got both phones at the 99 cent black friday price. Both phones ended up being on her upgrade plan, I guess?

I will have to wait it out to get to the shipping phase, but no sales tax, free camera grip and more than half off? OK. White, BTW. Keeping the Stormtrooper theme. Guess I should design a decal to make the Lumia camera hump look like the half completed Death Star. *MY IDEA* Hmmm...

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who pre-order from Microsoft Store Online get approved by their carrier already?

It says it will do it once they get notification that the phone is being sent to them, but I kinda wonder if that's true. I swear that it was already approved when I had first ordered it, and now its changed and doesn't say approved by carrier, but that I still have a phone reserved.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who pre-order from Microsoft Store Online get approved by their carrier already?

It says it will do it once they get notification that the phone is being sent to them, but I kinda wonder if that's true. I swear that it was already approved when I had first ordered it, and now its changed and doesn't say approved by carrier, but that I still have a phone reserved.

My order was canceled twice by Microsoft with no explanation. In fact, I asked them on the phone and they wouldn't tell me why. I ordered the device only, without contract and my credit card was good, along with all of my info. I posted a rant about it in another thread, but I will never order from them again. They seriously need to get their $#!t together.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity: Has anyone who ordered through AT&T seen a preauthorization on their credit card account yet? Has your order moved past "processing", or does it say something different?

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Just pre-ordered this beauty from Negri Electronics for $740. Got an unlocked, 32gig yellow version. I absolutely love my 920, but will likely sell it to recover the costs of my purchase. This is the Nokia phone I have been dreaming of for the past 2 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo