Should I ditch Android for Nokia's Lumia 1020?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
This review sounds slightly snubbed, since there has been photos produced from the Nokia L1020. Anyone can see this phone produces way more detail than anything out besides the 808.

Detail to me is the most important part, since we all crop at so e point in time and want to keep crisp accurate detail. Add the ability for lossless zoom with no mechanical parts, this is a definite winner.

WP should be looked as a different ios, in the sense that it works incredibly well with lower specced hw. I would have said a resounding Yes in switching. Based on performance and camera quality/ability, the 1020 is as good as it gets for now.

newneo

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Stick with android.... Wp is still a amateur platform..... Stick with android it has worlds largest app store and highly customizable....... U can go for wp after probably 2 years

Erm your colours are well and truly showing there. 'an amateur platform' jog on.

WP8 is young but it is a great OS and where do you get your crystal ball that says it will be ready in 2 years?

I have 2 nexus devices and an ipod in this house my Lumia 925 is my daily driver. The Nexus 4 and 7 are great devices but for me the Nokia 1020 will be a great choice.

Cod3rror

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
All you need to do is hold the fast foward botton or rewind button to fast-forward or rewind through a track... And yes you should ditch the choppy *** Android OS for a far more elegant and cleaner OS.

Hahah, "All you need to do is hold the fast forward button", "All you need to do is compromise this and compromise that"

What if the track is long? You're going be holding that button for a long time, and it's much less precise than the lever.

Go with 1020 and I guarantee, you'll be bored within half and hour and wishing you went with Android.

nukeypearce

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for constructive criticism but I think you are just trying to force your views on to other people even though they're not correct. Ok, talking about music playback, let's talk about audio quality shall we?

I currently own the Lumia 920 and a pair of Shure SE535s. My music collection is lossless. I tried the Samsung Galaxy S4 briefly to see what the sound quality was like. I tried the stock player as well as several other apps (some of which I paid for). Let me tell you: the sound quality was absolutely awful! - the sound was distorted at high volume, even with the equalizer set to flat. The volume was too low - the S4 doesn't even have enough power to drive the SE535s! - it was so bad I actually felt it clouded the quality and enjoyment of the music so I actually stopped playback and didn't bother with it again. The music was very flat and tinny and was not worth my time.

The only sound device that I am currently aware of that matches the 920 in audio quality is the 3rd generation iPod Touch. Even then for that I had to use a third party app.

So why am I posting this in the 1020 forum? because I would imagine the audio quality to be the same in the 1020 as the 920, so it doesn't matter what device I mention. It just proves that the Galaxy S4 is awful when listening to music.

Nukey

Anidh Singh

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Erm your colours are well and truly showing there. 'an amateur platform' jog on.

WP8 is young but it is a great OS and where do you get your crystal ball that says it will be ready in 2 years?

I have 2 nexus devices and an ipod in this house my Lumia 925 is my daily driver. The Nexus 4 and 7 are great devices but for me the Nokia 1020 will be a great choice.

Windows app store is way behind play store and app store major apps like instagram,real racing3,all google apps are missing
I'm a blogger and somtyms i feel frustrated to own a windows phone..... Then there is prblm of backward compatibility all android versions are backward compatible whereas in case of wp wp7.XX Users are left in dark even a basic game like temple run isn't available..... Only place where wp rules over android is fluidity,appearance,skype and other social hub integration and don't forget that android is open source so it is lot lot and lot more customizable

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for constructive criticism but I think you are just trying to force your views on to other people even though they're not correct. Ok, talking about music playback, let's talk about audio quality shall we?

I currently own the Lumia 920 and a pair of Shure SE535s. My music collection is lossless. I tried the Samsung Galaxy S4 briefly to see what the sound quality was like. I tried the stock player as well as several other apps (some of which I paid for). Let me tell you: the sound quality was absolutely awful! - the sound was distorted at high volume, even with the equalizer set to flat. The volume was too low - the S4 doesn't even have enough power to drive the SE535s! - it was so bad I actually felt it clouded the quality and enjoyment of the music so I actually stopped playback and didn't bother with it again. The music was very flat and tinny and was not worth my time.

The only sound device that I am currently aware of that matches the 920 in audio quality is the 3rd generation iPod Touch. Even then for that I had to use a third party app.

So why am I posting this in the 1020 forum? because I would imagine the audio quality to be the same in the 1020 as the 920, so it doesn't matter what device I mention. It just proves that the Galaxy S4 is awful when listening to music.

Nukey

True audio quality will never be achieved from any smartphone device. At least not now. Why people buy expensive headphones and use them on smartphones or ipods is beyond me. You need a portable high quality stand alone media player (there are few out there and not cheap) if you want true audio quality.

I'm a daily Android user but have a Lumia 920 and an iPad for work purposes. I love the build quality of Nokia devices and WP8 is a great operating system. My only reason for not switching is because I'm highly invested in the Google (Cloud) Ecosystem. I currently have my whole music library stored in google music, files in google drive and photos in Google+ (picasa). After trying to use WP8 as my daily driver it turns out that the lack of multi-tasking and poor caching is what really killed it for me. For example, I stream through google music and as it caches my songs it never cuts out when my train hits the tunel and looses connection. When I tried this on WP8 my music stops playing almost instantly when connection is lost and I've tried multiple music players that can access google music that offer a cached option. I don't want to store my music locally as it will take up a lot of storage. I like that photos taken will auto sync to skydrive so that way I can remove them from the local storage. I use googe hangouts (google talk) a lot and even though I've found a google talk replacement app, I've yet to find one that is compatible with group hangouts. If anyone knows of one please let me know. WP8 is of course great with office documents especially viewing PowerPoint files. I just don't like that it lacks the true auto sync or background multi-tasking that Android has to offer. This was also a big draw back for me on iOS but iOS has it's own set of issues that I can't deal with also. iOS 7 will hopefully remede this to a better experience. I do understand that the true background sync and multi-tasking pays a price of lower battery performance but I have yet to find myself out of juice by the end of a busy work day. Hopefully, this can help others who are thinking about the switch from Android to WP8. BTW, I can't wait to recieve the 1020. I will be using it as my point and shoot camera and to auto save my photos to the cloud to access on all my other devices.

Yes, Android has it's flaws as do all OSs but do the benefits truely out weigh them. For Android it does.

Last edited:

rijkvanwel

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
To clarify: I am not asking this question. I am a satisfied and enthousiastic WP user, and like most of you, slowly converting everyone around me.

But with 70% or whatever of the smartphone world running Android, I think there's a lot of people who are asking this. Or at least we should hope there are, right? So I always like to see a review that gives Windows Phone a fair judgement. Especially one like this, that I can image would appeal to non-savvy users. They didn't do the Lumia enough justice, I agree, but I do think their outline of the main advantages and disadvantages of the operating systems was fair.

I know we here would all like to see WP come out on top in every review, but this is a positive development right?? :) At least we're somewhat passed the 'not enough apps' thing... :asleep:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think at this point i'm more nitpicking between the three mobile operating systems. They all do what I want them to do, just in a different way.

I'm really not, though. I love having Xbox-enabled gaming and Achievements, along with the Games hub itself. I like the change from the desktop-style icon grid. I like having the Zune UI for the music player, along with a music player that doesn't crash (like my Android one often did). some of what I mentioned (price, which fluctuates, and wireless charging) are minor things that wouldn't have ultimately taken me away from Android to windows Phone alone, but they're still positives for the device I chose (920).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
To clarify: I am not asking this question. I am a satisfied and enthousiastic WP user, and like most of you, slowly converting everyone around me.

But with 70% or whatever of the smartphone world running Android, I think there's a lot of people who are asking this. Or at least we should hope there are, right? So I always like to see a review that gives Windows Phone a fair judgement. Especially one like this, that I can image would appeal to non-savvy users. They didn't do the Lumia enough justice, I agree, but I do think their outline of the main advantages and disadvantages of the operating systems was fair.

I know we here would all like to see WP come out on top in every review, but this is a positive development right?? :) At least we're somewhat passed the 'not enough apps' thing... :asleep:

To be blunt, for the general population, I don't know that it's time to switch to Windows Phone yet. If you like having free apps, Windows Phone's not the best option. Plenty of paid apps have free versions on Android, while we mostly get trials, so there is more of a software-based commitment to make, from a financial standpoint. That, and there simply isn't a device out yet with the raw computing power of the new Snapdragon line, and while specs aren't the ONLY thing to watch for, the gains from the Galaxy S III's SoC (which is in the 920 and 1020) and the Galaxy S4's is a big leap, in some benchmarks (where the improvements were by almost double or more).

I feel like Windows Phone offers the best experience, from an OS standpoint, but the OEMs for Windows Phone need to keep pace with (or surpass) what the android alternatives are bringing to the game, along with the still-present need to frequent app market expansion.

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
After 2 days with the 1020 I feel that the hardware that runs WP8 more than suffice. It's a really smooth and fast user experience. Quad-core and all the other high-end specs are not really needed for WP8. Excepting the challenge of using WP8 as my daily driver and putting my S4 Active and Note 2 in the drawer for 30 days is already taking a toll on me with the limitations of true Multi-Tasking and the fact that I can't connect to my work environment via VPN or Citrix which will allow me to use a File Explorer to access shared network drives. WP8 as solid as it may seem has a lot of limitations that previous Windows Phone versions (prior to WP7) had available for enterprise functionality. All my personal functions so far have been able to survive on WP8 espcially since I've found a lot of Apps that can access all my Google Services. With the exception to Google Hangouts for group chats.

EDIT: Oh, and how I miss a swipe style keyboard. :angry:

Easycure1974

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Nukey

You know that the S4 had a bug when released that made almost any headset besides the one delivered with the phone sound like crap? It was fixed after a month or so. So if you tried it with that bug it was not strange that it sounded crap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb