Should I ditch Android for Nokia's Lumia 1020?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
All in all, it's a good article. She dwells on the lack of apps like so many but I think it's because she isn't as familiar with the 3rd party support for WP8 as she should.

One area that she feels strongly about is the Nokia marketing strategy of exclusive models for each carrier. I think this will be the downfall of Nokia over the long haul.

With today's announcements from all the carriers that the end user can now change phones every (insert your own time frame here), Nokia would be smart to make the 1020 available to all carriers.

One thing technically I don't know the answer to is this: Is it possible to make a phone with the GSM and CDMA bands resident in the phone. This would open many of the newer devices from Nokia available to all carriers and more importantly, all users.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sexist but I often have bad feeling when I hear women talking about technology...

I believe that's the very definition of sexism

Sexism - noun
1. attitudes or behavior based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.
2. discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
LOL You come to a WP forum and ask that....ask yourself, why do I want to leave Android? Not happy with updates, OS is boring, etc. Check for the apps you MUST have before you leave your current OS to prevent us from reading a WP sucks post later, going back to Android, etc... down the road.....

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I thought this was a really good and balanced answer here on CNET: Should I ditch Android for Nokia's Lumia 1020? | Mobile - CNET News

With the number of words she had available, I would have expected a far more informative article with more analysis rather than just hearsay.

Her criticisms of app availability and compatibility with Google's services were inadequate. While not entirely wrong, she's just repeating common 'wisdom', which I can get on the street. I expect more from 'journalists'. At least she should have been much more specific about exactly what she thinks is lacking. As it is now, her criticisms paint a false picture with brush strokes that are far too broad.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ms. Reardon often provides balanced, if not always complete advice. The comments expressed by the CNET photographer imply that the 1020 does not offer a simple tap and shoot option, and that an accessory is required for a two-stage shutter button. This is not the case on the 920 and I assume it is not the case on the 1020. Also, she offers quotes from Nokia and AT&T to support the idea that the 1020 will only be on AT&T, then goes on to talk about Nokia's strategy of carrier exclusives yet she fails to point out that Verizon and T-Mobile might just end up with 1028 and 1025 variants just as they did for the 92X series. So yes, the 1020 could technically be an exclusive forever, but how do we know that the other carriers won't just see the same capabilities in a slightly different form?

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
The only reason you should switch from Android is if you want the camera, especially if your using a current generation device. My HTC One rarely if ever stutters, but I do have issues on my brother's Galaxy S4. This was remedied with a fresh install of a Google Edition ROM though. The camera is the main reason why i'm switching (and getting a Nexus 7 once its updated), but my family and friends wouldn't even think twice about getting a Windows Phone. Half of the time they use the front facing camera to post blurry portraits of themselves with friends on Facebook and the rest of their shots are Instagram pictures of food (seriously). They upload the picture to Facebook and use that as their "photo album", which just degrades the quality even further. I agree with katamari201, not many will appreciate how good the camera is. The ones that do are tech geeks or photographers, which are the minority. That's not even mentioning the app situation...i'm not just being ignorant, i've looked to see if the apps I use on my Android phone are there, and they aren't. Thats not stopping me from getting this phone though.

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've yet to find an app that I need so badly that I'd switch from Windows Phone to Android, iOS or BlackBerry. I don't need Instagram or Vine and my bank's mobile website works fine without an optimized app.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The only reason you should switch from Android is if you want the camera, especially if your using a current generation device.

Did you check to see if there are alternatives to the apps you use? It sounds like you know what you're doing, but I just wanted to point out that going only by app name is quite ignorant. It's not the name, but the functionality people should be looking for in the app store. Corporate apps (like banking apps) are were WP still has most of its catching up to do.

I completely disagree that the camera is the only reason to get a WP device. It is the only reason to get the L1020 over a L925 or a L928. That I would agree with.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there are alternatives to the apps I use, but that takes a bit of time and effort to hunt down. Also the apps they do have are often of lower quality. What one person thinks is an absolute must have varies from person to person though. For me the biggest one is Mighty Text, if you know of an alternative to it i'd greatly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Mighty Text allows you to receive and send texts from your computer (mine is apple). It has an extension on Chrome also for notifications...highly useful.

Last edited:

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Did you check to see if there are alternatives to the apps you use? It sounds like you know what you're doing, but I just wanted to point out that going only by app name is quite ignorant. It's not the name, but the functionality people should be looking for in the app store. Corporate apps (like banking apps) are were WP still has most of its catching up to do.

I completely disagree that the camera is the only reason to get a WP device. It is the only reason to get the L1020 over a L925 or a L928. That I would agree with.

Well, this will be my first WP, so maybe i'll have a change of heart once I get my hands on it =). I'm not really sure if there will be alternatives to HBOGo and Minecraft, which I play with friends (so a knockoff wouldn't be a workaround). Dolphin Browser syncs with Chrome and allows me to send tabs to and from my devices (awesome). Google Play Music will have an iOS app soon, but for WP i'm sure i'll have to download my library of 3,500 songs to get them onto my device...

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
What I like about WP is that it is still a "young" platform. Sure there are not as many apps as iOS and Android but iOS/Android have matured greatly already and took alot of time. . But it is developing and growing and I like being part of the that.

Its not perfect by any means but then again what platform is perfect? Remember when the first iPhone came out? That movement was awesome. Then android joined and so on. I can almost see a similar situation playing out with Blackberry.

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Who knows. If you are already on Android, there's no compelling reason to come to WP. The only real selling point of the Lumia 1020 is the camera. If you can really appreciate the 41MP camera, which most people can't. Otherwise you will be saddled with an EXPENSIVE and chunky phone and all the problems associated with WP. There's a reason why Android overtook iOS and is powering over 70% of the smartphones in the world.

Each platform has some compelling reasons to switch. If I wanted to switch from my current platform (Windows Phone) to another there is no shortage of reasons and vise versa. Just depends on who and what you're looking for in your smartphone experience.

WP has problems (I know that) but so does every other platform out there. You're making it sound like WP is bad compared to Android.
And wwhoever mentioned about android being almost given away has a point. Google makes NO money off android itself but rather off advertising and selling unanimous user info to advertisers.

The amount of data they collect daily from a multitude of their services is astonishing and in some cases just makes me feel like they are stretching things a bit too far. I've all of a sudden stopped using Gmail because its just cluttered with ads and have gone with Outlook.com with a much cleaner, sleek, and well organized look and haven't looked back.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The photographer, Sarah, in this article that gave her opinion is a straight up retard. To change the settings is so easy and really like that on screen it shows you the difference of how the photos will look with different settings.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, this will be my first WP, so maybe i'll have a change of heart once I get my hands on it =). I'm not really sure if there will be alternatives to HBOGo and Minecraft, which I play with friends (so a knockoff wouldn't be a workaround). Dolphin Browser syncs with Chrome and allows me to send tabs to and from my devices (awesome). Google Play Music will have an iOS app soon, but for WP i'm sure i'll have to download my library of 3,500 songs to get them onto my device...

Well, the issue with Google's ecosystem (music library etc.) is different from the app question. Definitely. Google has basically declared war on WP, so a lot of Google's ecosystem will remain closed to WP. Most people here prefer Microsoft's ecosystem though. Switching in the opposite direction would lead to similar problems.

I found HBO Go on my first search in the app store, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are looking for.

MightyText wont come to WP anytime soon. You won't find any alternative either, because WP doesn't allow apps to search through users text messages. That is a security precaution and that is unlikely to change. The only way we'll ever get something like that is if Microsoft decides to integrate such a feature themselves, which I've heard might actually be in the cards, but at this point it's just rumours.

WP8.1 will offer the same synching capabilities but with IE11 instead of with Chrome. Unfortunately, we'll still have to wait another six months for that. There are quite a few features like that which WP8 still lacks. There is no denying it. However, the foundation that Microsoft has set down so far is better than the competition's. If they can add to that without detracting from the currently clean, organised and fast presentation, they will have a winner on their hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12