Just got the 928. I have some questions.

Goombalover12

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
As the title says, I just got my Nokia Lumia 928 in the mail. After my Droid Bionic got ran-over by a bus (long story) I decided to satisfy my long attraction to WP8 by finally getting one. I don't regret it yet, because it is lag free, takes great pictures, and has most everything I need built right in. I even got my 9 gigabyte iTunes library on there.

Anyway I wanted to ask some questions

On my Android I loved my Desktop Clock app. I have found some like it in the Windows Store that I like, but I am wondering if you know of any better ones that I should download.

Should I get a case for this phone? It seems sort of slippery in my hand, but I think I'll adapt to that. How has it been on drop tests?

How should I hold this phone? It seems sort of awkward to hold (two handed typing in portrait mostly) because of the combination of weight, a (sort of) thin body, and length.

Are there any themes in Wiztiles and the like that I should be aware of?

What is the best source for news about it on the internet?

I think that I have read this somewhere else, but there is a weird looking splotch on my Windows soft key, any way to remove that?

Is there anyway to turn of the capacitive buttons' lights? (not a huge deal, just a little annoyance)

Any other general suggestions? Favorite apps (I'm not that much of an app guy, just social networks, Netflix, and the occasional game) that I am not aware of?

Thanks, reading the other threads, this seems like a very supportive community, and one of the more active forums for Windows Phone

yeah

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the WP community! Glad to have you on board. I hope you grow to love your 928 even more than you do now so that it doesn't end up being "run over by a bus." ;)

As far as clocks, I'm not aware of any clocks at the moment. I'm sure there are several. The digital clock on the lock screen seems to suffice for most people. Additionally, there will be an update in the next few weeks that will bring something called a glance screen to the 928. It's basically a dimmed clock that is always on your screen, it lights up when you tap the screen once, and brings you to the lock screen when you tap the screen twice.

Whether or not you sport a case is up to you. It's purely a matter of preference. If the phone happens to drop and land square on the corner of the device, it's quite possible that the screen could take some damage. Aside from that situation, most drops will only result in minor scratches. I'd advise you to check out the accessories thread stickied in the 928 subsection to learn about case & protection options.

How you hold the phone is up to you. I suggest using your hands. :)

I've never used Wiztiles, so I'm afraid I can't can't help you there. But I do recommend heading over to the home screen color & theme thread in the WP8 section of these forums. There people post screenshots of their current setup. There are a lot of creative ones and it's my favorite thread on the forums.

WPCentral is the single best source for news on this device & the operating stlystem. The WPCentral app for windows phones is well made & I certainly recommend getting it for news reading & involvement in this community. The free trial version of the app is full featured & does not expire. The $1 optional charge is simply for donations.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes - welcome to Windows Phone!

WPCentral is the single best source for news on this device & the operating stlystem. The WPCentral app for windows phones is well made & I certainly recommend getting it for news reading & involvement in this community. The free trial version of the app is full featured & does not expire. The $1 optional charge is simply for donations.
I agree with all of this except the last sentence. The $1 isn't simply donations. It adds several good features. From the description:
The available trial is ad-supported with only the video section, live tiles, toast notifications, offline reading, wallpapers and the podcast player disabled, all other features are accessible.
One of the best dollars I've spent in the WP Store.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes - welcome to Windows Phone!

I agree with all of this except the last sentence. The $1 isn't simply donations. It adds several good features. From the description:

One of the best dollars I've spent in the WP Store.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was just a donation. It took me less than 5 minutes of trying the trial version to determine it was worth the $1 so I guess I didn't have much to compare to. Yes, well worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs