Verizon 928 Group Text

ltoddbarnette

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
This is pretty crazy I know this phone will do group text what's the deal on turning it off? Anyone know if Verizon is going to turn it back in? :angry::angry::angry:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Verizon disabled it on all of their WP8's before they even released them. We don't really know why. We're pretty sure that GDR2 will contain a fix for this.

It's annoying that it's taken this long, but hang in there. I think we'll be group texting soon.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
There have been several posts around here with word that it was supposed to be turned on in May. It's July and you can guess the rest.

preludepunk27

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the group text being taken away is extremely frustrating. I don't, nor to any of my friends/family, any of those chat apps. I'm not about to have everyone I know install an app just to talk to me in group text when their phones do it naturally.

Basically, I absolutely love my 928 and the Windows OS, but if Verizon doesn't fix group text with the GDR2 update, I'm demanding they give me a refund or a release from my contract (going to the BBB if they don't) and going over to AT&T and picking up an S4 even though I'm not the biggest fan on Android.

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the group text being taken away is extremely frustrating. I don't, nor to any of my friends/family, any of those chat apps. I'm not about to have everyone I know install an app just to talk to me in group text when their phones do it naturally.

Basically, I absolutely love my 928 and the Windows OS, but if Verizon doesn't fix group text with the GDR2 update, I'm demanding they give me a refund or a release from my contract (going to the BBB if they don't) and going over to AT&T and picking up an S4 even though I'm not the biggest fan on Android.

I'd be curious to know how getting out of the contract goes. How long have you had the 928? If under 14 days and your that unhappy with the loss of group texting why not just exchange it for something else. If you're past the 14 days and you could ask tech support to do and alternative swap for something where the group texting works.

I do hope they fix but to me its not that important as I rarely ever do group text. When I do it is because I've received the message.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon disabled it on all of their WP8's before they even released them. We don't really know why. We're pretty sure that GDR2 will contain a fix for this.

It's annoying that it's taken this long, but hang in there. I think we'll be group texting soon.

It's been said in a bunch of places and I personally heard it from a Verizon rep... It was incompatible with their LTE network for some reason, instead of a buggy support mess, they disabled it till they could fix it. They found a work-around but, no idea when they are gong to release it.

Personally it's a big pain in the a$$ and wish they would fix it now...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It's been said in a bunch of places and I personally heard it from a Verizon rep... It was incompatible with their LTE network for some reason, instead of a buggy support mess, they disabled it till they could fix it. They found a work-around but, no idea when they are gong to release it.

Personally it's a big pain in the a$$ and wish they would fix it now...

That's what I had originally been told as well. And I believed it. My WP7 does group messaging pretty well, so I assumed that it was a change to WP8 that made it more of a challenge.

But this thread is telling: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/232729-group-msg-works-fine-lumia-928-a.html

The OP was on AT&T rocking a L920. They switched to VZW, bought a L928, and restored the backup settings from the L920 with the L928. The result was that the setting for enabling group messaging was transferred over as well. The OP was able to text message just fine on VZW's network with the 928. The only difference was that the hidden setting to enable group text messaging was turned on by the backup transfer.

VZW turned it off and hid the setting when they launched WP8. And we don't really know why.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have had enough problems with mms to believe there is a problem with it on vzw. That said, its a simple registry key setting, which I was able to extract from the phone. I just can't figure out how to write to the registry to fix it (and don't think I will be able to). Happy to share what I've found if anyone knows how to program well or has an idea how to overwrite registry settings from the phone

WP95

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the 8x since November and this is bugging the crap out of me. I really hope we get this fixed before the end of summer at least. And can anyone show me a video or at least a picture of what group messaging is like on WP8? Since I have never seen a chat all in one thread.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure? I can send a group text, but once people start replying, it disaggregates the text thread and I lose track of who is talking to who. If it is working for you, load a screen shot that shows you receiving a text with multiple people on the thread (not sending, but receiving).

Yeah, it's legit. The setting for group text is hidden in the 928. In that case the user had a 920 on AT&T with Group Text enabled. They got a 928 and restored their 920 backup to their phone... it switched on the hidden group text setting.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure? I can send a group text, but once people start replying, it disaggregates the text thread and I lose track of who is talking to who. If it is working for you, load a screen shot that shows you receiving a text with multiple people on the thread (not sending, but receiving).

It doesn't work for me, but if you restore from non-VZW settings that had it on, it works. I extracted the registry settings from my L928 and can see the show/hide toggle, but as of right now there is no way to edit the registry settings. I am getting my L620 back this weekend and am going to try the restore from backup settings on my own, will report back afterwards.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just to update, got my 620 back from my sister and restored my 928 from a backup I made and now have threaded group texts.

Interestingly, when I went to test it the threading worked fine with iPhones, but the response from my girlfriend who has an 8x came through as a text message. Looks like they were able to stop the respond to everyone behavior when people get group texts but don't realize it. This gives me some hope it will be reenabled in GDR2

Lastly, it looks like GDR2 is rolling out now on Nokia Care Suite for other Lumias (though no US yet), so it shouldn't be too long

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon