New challanges for Nokia

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Dang I mean 64GB storage :p. Look at galaxy S4 it has 5 inch screen and is smaller than Lumia 920. If Nokia does something like this, won't it be amazing?

LumiaChemist

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
It's really a problem with the android marketing, they sell **** which nobody needs.
Most consumers are to disinformed they dont understand what nokia is selling, who needs more then 300 dpi?
A 1080p screen is expensive, needs more processing power and more energy, so its only a waste of money and resources.
"Ultrapixel" is a joke and android only needs quad-core cpu's because its poorly coded and based on linux which isnt
optimized for mobile devices.

Nokia could go the easy way and go with the marked, but they dont. they still try to give costumers a good product rather then
making easy money. I really appreciate that.

My idea for the new flagship device, 1025 would be:

- new app "Nokia Portrait Cam". Smart imaging algorithms like,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycjRCxqQTGY

- API for controlling the flash

- And four dual-led flashs with an opaque glas ordered in a circle. Nothing more then a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_flash for nice portrait photography :)
Flash distance with one dual-led flash is approximately 3m, on full zoom (6x, 720p) the focal length would be in this situation 69mm according to nokias whitepaper.
This is in a very common area of focal lenghts in portrait photography.

portraitg.jpg

Poorly photoshoped nokia lumia 1020 ;)

Last edited:

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Before Nokia concerns itself with keeping up with the Joneses, the need to start focusing on what they have RIGHT NOW.

Blame it on Nokia or blame it on Microsoft, but they do a p*ss poor job of advertising and promoting the product. I can watch a 1/2 hour crapjam sitcom and see what? 2?, 3?, 4? spots for the Galaxy? Maybe a couple iPhone spots as a Sammy counter. I'm lucky to see just ONE commercial for Windows Phone in 8 grueling hours of tv.

Liquid metal or liquid paper...doesn't matter if people aren't even aware it exists.

Last edited:

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
there's no need for these specs (quad core and etc..), many people reports that they have already more than 150 apps installed in their 920 and the phone still keeps running smooth..

If nokia plans a sucessor, I wanted it to be a better 920 (better battery principally..), amoled displays may be good, but with the time the leds tends to wear.. altough they need less energy..

It's nokia, the company onlys need to continue what they have done so far, making the best phones and putting people first =)

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If nokia plan to launch Lumia 920 successor (its upcoming flagship device). It needs to have the following features / technical specification in order to succeed.

1) Graphene casing in order to compete with next generation iPhone
2) Min 20 MP camera with OIS and a bigger sensor than Lumia 920 without affecting the thickness afterall Xperia i1 did it.
3) Quad Core SD800 processor with 2GB RAM
4) 5.5 Inch screen with 1080P display, IPS LCD with PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack display.
5) 64GB storage since big camera consumes more space
6) Stereo speakers.

Please share your openion on this

funny-gifs-want.gif

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apple was working on Liquid Metal for years and it seems that it will be used for next generation iphones which will be a HUGE upgrade.
In the interest of not giving Apple credit for something they didn't do:

Apple hasn't done any liquid metal related research for any amount of time. The company that did all the heavy lifting was Liquidmetal Technologies. After having proven their technologie's feasibility, Apple commissioned them to develop a manufacturing process specifically and exclusively for the iPhone (outsourced to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Liquidmetal Technologies dedicated to Apple work).

That is how Apple "innovates". Apple does absolutely no research of this kind themselves. Apple has one of the lowest research budgets in the entire industry (the lowest if measured as a percentage of profits) but they compensate by having one of the largest marketing budgets.

:wink:

No doubt liquid metal is an awesome material though. If this is used to make the frame of the next iPhone, then it will be even thinner and lighter, or it will pack more electronics and a bigger battery into an iP5 sized device (higher durability might also be a potential benefit).

The Graphene material Nokia is working on will blow this out of the water though, but AFAIK Graphene is not yet feasible for use in mass market products.

ChemMatters - Graphene: The Next Wonder Material? - YouTube

Last edited:

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
what nokia needs to do is kick MS in the nuts and tell them if they don't get the updates out faster more pain will be in it's future.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, Nokia don't even need to use Graphene. Stainless steel would be just fine.

Ever hear anyone complain about the weight of a Lumia? Yeah. That's why steel isn't an option. ;-)

Graphene isn't just about the frame though. Display technology is another potential and game changing use (extremely thin and impossible to shatter).

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Ever hear anyone complain about the weight of a Lumia? Yeah. That's why steel isn't an option. ;-)

Whoa there a5cent, the Lenovo k900 is a stainless steel p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ phablet and it weighs less (162 g (5.71 oz)) than the Lumia 920(185 g (6.53 oz)). So, I would not rule out that option. :cool:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Interesting. I wonder how that device holds up to stress tests. I have trouble imagining steel working well in that role, as you'd always have to sacrifice either being thin+light or durability.

Anyway. Point taken.

Geronimo928

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I agree with u guys saying Nokia could use graphene, yes, I would like to have a phablet (this is really important to me), and I totally agree that MS in incompetent and slow in deploying updates. However, nobody mentioned anything about us users being able to do some basic system stuff, like view files on the phone, copy/paste them, the ability to add custom tones for events... That is what I need at least. Well it is up to Microsoft.
I know that WP8 won't be the safest OS anymore, but ppl with ideas can make everything better. That is what jailbreaking is all about.
I also know that some other phones do have all these options, but they r not an option for me. I wouldn't use an Android device ever in my life, they r cheap, crappy, laggy, slow, despite all the monstruosly strong hardware in them. The OS is what really makes the device stand out. iPhones r ok, but I love the Live Tiles, Live Apps, the WP interface is something really fascinating to me, I simply adore my L920. I simply cannot stand the GUI of some Android or iPhone.
That all said, I think MS should at least open some channel in order to communicate with its users, where users can suggest improvements. The team at MS could then choose 5 best suggestions on improvement, then once a month to be a voting, and the winner suggestion to be implemented ASAP in the new update. Also, updates would be more regular then, and more frequent which would allow quicker getting rid of bugs, and also, more new features with every update!

Not everything you thought they should have but something along those lines: Feature Suggestions: Hot (31082 ideas)

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd be much obliged if I could just open a pdf from the phone that I transferred from my PC. MS really has to get its act together. More than 8 months since WP8 and the GDR2 update is next to nothing in terms of addressing the major issues.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd be much obliged if I could just open a pdf from the phone that I transferred from my PC. MS really has to get its act together. More than 8 months since WP8 and the GDR2 update is next to nothing in terms of addressing the major issues.

I'm not sure what exactly is the problem? PDFs work just fine on my phone o.o

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you meant 64GB of ROM, not RAM.

Anyway, no exotic metal or graphene or other material will make the phone tougher. All it can do is make the shell tougher and/or lighter. Usually it is the screen that breaks or a component inside suffers shock damage from a drop or corrosion from moisture.

925 already improved the 8MP camera of 920. I wish they would continue down that path and combine the OIS of 92x with a better 8MP sensor in the next 9xx flagship -- or at most a 13MP one as now used in GS4 and that Sony thing that came out in the spring. (Samsung probably uses the same Sony sensor.) 1020 is technically the flagship, but in practice it is kind of a niche product at this point and not the commercial successor of 92x.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, no exotic metal or graphene or other material will make the phone tougher. All it can do is make the shell tougher and/or lighter.

If you had looked at the video I linked to, you would have seen that Graphene can also serve as a display technology. Extremely thin, bendable and shatterproof.

Obviously, it can't protect components from shock damage. That is true.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Nokia phones could cure cancer and bring world peace, as well as having a one million battery life and a failure rate of 0%, alongside a 200ghz 64-core processor, 1024TB RAM and 2048TB storage space, a 41gigapixel camera with OIS etc, all top grade stuff and comparable with a DSLR of that spec. It would also be 0.3nanometres thick but able to survive a nuclear explosion orbeing fired out of a cannon and have built in wireless charging, released tomorrow for ?500 with no exclusives, and it would still fail. Why? Because it isn't an iPhone or Galaxy. Most people buy an iPhone or Galaxy just because it's an iPhone or Galaxy.

EDIT: For those saying "Oh well they should just lower the price". Nokia could give them away for free and people would still refuse to pick them up simply because they aren't an iPhone or Galaxy. People think they're the only phones that exist. "Oh a Nokia, is that even a phone?"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise