New challanges for Nokia

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
With Sony Xperia i1 Honami and next generation iPhone having Liquid Metal casing, Looks like Nokia has to face stiff challanges this year. Lumia 1020 will be a hit. But its still a previous generation device with an amazing camera. A different league.

If nokia plan to launch Lumia 920 successor (its upcoming flagship device). It needs to have the following features / technical specification in order to succeed.

1) Graphene casing in order to compete with next generation iPhone
2) Min 20 MP camera with OIS and a bigger sensor than Lumia 920 without affecting the thickness afterall Xperia i1 did it.
3) Quad Core SD800 processor with 2GB RAM
4) >= 5 Inch screen with 1080P display, AMOLED with PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack display.
5) 64GB Storage since big camera consumes more space
6) Stereo speakers.

Please share your opinion on this

Last edited:

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
No way. 5''! I will never buy such big crap. Nokia should not release new phone with everything better than bugdroid crapsphones have. This is Microsoft who must give us more features! 20mpx camera? What for? Lumia 1020 has it, but I don't need it. I need excellent camera with not bigger than 8mpx. It is enough.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
the only challenge for nokia is the problem of using windows phone when MS is so slow in providing what is basic features. If the OS is great, hardware should not be a problem. My whole family kind of uses Nokia windows phones. they are amazing hardware... each one of them. Hope MS can get a big leap with the GDRs

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would never buy the phone with the specs you suggest, simply too big. And while the two other phones you mentioned barely close to the specs you posted (especially when you take the best features out of each and expect them on the new Lumia, mobile world is a tradeoff), it doesn't seem fair that the new 920 successor needs to be a superphone in order to "compete" :D

That said, Xperias have never really been a commercial success, I wouldn't compare it to the iPhone.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
iPhone never did the spec race, and neither should Microsoft. The only people willing to play that game are the manufacturers for Android trying to best one another. But it will be tough competition this fall without some type of new mainstream device. The 1020 will be promo'd out by then probably

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I would never buy the phone with the specs you suggest, simply too big. And while the two other phones you mentioned barely close to the specs you posted (especially when you take the best features out of each and expect them on the new Lumia, mobile world is a tradeoff), it doesn't seem fair that the new 920 successor needs to be a superphone in order to "compete" :D

That said, Xperias have never really been a commercial success, I wouldn't compare it to the iPhone.

You won't, I won't most of the us in this form won't. But these specs are now a days taken as a benchmarks and used for marketing gimmic. For a novice user these specs makes a whole lot difference.

Take this case. Sony made 20 MP as its next flagship standard. Samsung might make it for its upcoming note 3 and nokia sticks with 8MP for its next flagship. I am not sure if it will be a success. We know that bigger lense isn't everything, its the size of sensor, the OIS and other things that matters but not for general public who purely go for marketing.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Agree on camera but that's all.

Apart from camera, new technology always act as a big marketing gimmic. Apple was working on Liquid Metal for years and it seems that it will be used for next generation iphones which will be a HUGE upgrade. This will be used by Apples gigantic marketing engine. EU has paid 1 billion US$ to Nokia to work on graphene which is the hardest known substances on this planet. It will be Nokia's reply to Apples liquid metal.

Sony started making water resistant smartphones which act as a huge marketing gimmic. There is no limit. Nokia has to consider all these factors in its next flagship in order to be on top.

dhruvz

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The life or should i say the craze of any smartphone now lasts just a couple of months after launch...be it apple, crapdroids or Nokia...every device maker comes out with a new model at least twice a year...with upgrades that look good on paper and in marketing...but as a user...u'll notice a very minor difference in performance...i know coz I work with smartphone chips for a living... So if you want to buy a new phone...just go for looks n size...afterall all the phones have all the same apps n stuff packed inside...just on a different platform ;)

On a separate note...Nokia completely killed its Lumia 925 by bringing 1020 out...
Sent from my Cyan Lumia 920 using Board Express

Sagar187

May 14, 2013
Visit site
What difference would liquid metal or graphene make. As long as the phones look and feel premium, its alright. 13mp is more than enough for a smartphone. No one uploads 20mp pics or views pics in 20mp. 1080p is needed. What Nokia really needs is a better windows phone os. And that is microsoft's responsibility.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
What i would prefer is the storage to be increased to not less than 64Gb or 120Gb, i don't mind 2 cores as they are working fine for me on 920, the camera of cause they have already have one (the 41M) RAM now 2Gb,
As long as the applications runs smoothly without noticeably sluggish, it would be a perfect phone for me.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
What difference would liquid metal or graphene make. As long as the phones look and feel premium, its alright. 13mp is more than enough for a smartphone. No one uploads 20mp pics or views pics in 20mp. 1080p is needed. What Nokia really needs is a better windows phone os. And that is microsoft's responsibility.

These are the toughest known substances on this planet (according to papers for liquid metal) so it durability matters

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone ever seen a Lumia polycarbonate break? It's not the case itself that usually breaks (except with those iPhones with glass :p), it's the screen and no liquid metals or graphenes will protect from that same impact that cracks the screen every time. Same goes for the internals, graphene or liquid metal won't protect them from the force applied on impact. But sure, I'm all for a graphene case cos I've been wanting to see some every day real life appliances for that stuff, but the fact is that it hardly changes anything unless they can start making the screens out of that.

That said, I do agree with you that while it's not really even needed, MS/Nokia/other OEMs should probably try to see more effort to keep the tech up to date. I'm all for having phablet too, even if I have no interest in buying one, but options are good, just don't make all flagships into sizes I wouldn't want to use :p At the same time though, it's not the specs that sell to masses, only really geeks care about specs and they are a minority. It's more so the word of mouth and getting what a friend has-kinda thing. iPhone is a great example of this I feel. Although the iPhone CPU is still something that somehow does really well in benchmarks, the iPhones havnt quite been the spec beasts for a long time now, but they are still really popular for other reasons. "It just works", and I feel that WP has quite a bit of the same feel to it with it's fluid and mostly intuitive OS, but there are things holding it back. For some it's the apps, for others it might be the missing features. It does sometimes make me wonder why is the WP team so inefficient compared to other MS divisions. I don't know if it's hard to make that stuff or not, but there are some apparently simple fixes that take them 6 months to do :D

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone ever seen a Lumia polycarbonate break? It's not the case itself that usually breaks (except with those iPhones with glass :p), it's the screen and no liquid metals or graphenes will protect from that same impact that cracks the screen every time. Same goes for the internals, graphene or liquid metal won't protect them from the force applied on impact. But sure, I'm all for a graphene case cos I've been wanting to see some every day real life appliances for that stuff, but the fact is that it hardly changes anything unless they can start making the screens out of that.

I hope Gorilla Glass 3 is much tougher than present generation glasses, so hope it is not easily scratched. The polycarbonate is a good substance, but yet it is a plastic. Graphen should make the casing almost indistructable. Bulletproof screen is the only solution :p

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I hope Gorilla Glass 3 is much tougher than present generation glasses, so hope it is not easily scratched. The polycarbonate is a good substance, but yet it is a plastic. Graphen should make the casing almost indistructable. Bulletproof screen is the only solution :p

Damn, you were too fast to reply, I edited in a big paragraph to my earlier post there :D

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
That said, I do agree with you that while it's not really even needed, MS/Nokia/other OEMs should probably try to see more effort to keep the tech up to date. I'm all for having phablet too, even if I have no interest in buying one, but options are good, just don't make all flagships into sizes I wouldn't want to use :p At the same time though, it's not the specs that sell to masses, only really geeks care about specs and they are a minority. It's more so the word of mouth and getting what a friend has-kinda thing. iPhone is a great example of this I feel. Although the iPhone CPU is still something that somehow does really well in benchmarks, the iPhones havnt quite been the spec beasts for a long time now, but they are still really popular for other reasons. "It just works", and I feel that WP has quite a bit of the same feel to it with it's fluid and mostly intuitive OS, but there are things holding it back. For some it's the apps, for others it might be the missing features. It does sometimes make me wonder why is the WP team so inefficient compared to other MS divisions. I don't know if it's hard to make that stuff or not, but there are some apparently simple fixes that take them 6 months to do :D

Yes I agree with your point. As we previously heard, GDR3 will bring quad core support, 1080p resolution, and hopefully user in an era of larger screen sizes (a phablet at Nokia world is looking quite promising right about now). Apparently the delay of WP Blue has lead to some features that were initially set to some out in the Blue update to be added to GDR3. So basically once again Nokia have made a killer device (Lumia 1020), and Microsoft have killed it with their incompetence and slow updates, thank you. Really.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I agree with u guys saying Nokia could use graphene, yes, I would like to have a phablet (this is really important to me), and I totally agree that MS in incompetent and slow in deploying updates. However, nobody mentioned anything about us users being able to do some basic system stuff, like view files on the phone, copy/paste them, the ability to add custom tones for events... That is what I need at least. Well it is up to Microsoft.
I know that WP8 won't be the safest OS anymore, but ppl with ideas can make everything better. That is what jailbreaking is all about.
I also know that some other phones do have all these options, but they r not an option for me. I wouldn't use an Android device ever in my life, they r cheap, crappy, laggy, slow, despite all the monstruosly strong hardware in them. The OS is what really makes the device stand out. iPhones r ok, but I love the Live Tiles, Live Apps, the WP interface is something really fascinating to me, I simply adore my L920. I simply cannot stand the GUI of some Android or iPhone.
That all said, I think MS should at least open some channel in order to communicate with its users, where users can suggest improvements. The team at MS could then choose 5 best suggestions on improvement, then once a month to be a voting, and the winner suggestion to be implemented ASAP in the new update. Also, updates would be more regular then, and more frequent which would allow quicker getting rid of bugs, and also, more new features with every update!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With Sony Xperia i1 Honami and next generation iPhone having Liquid Metal casing, Looks like Nokia has to face stiff challanges this year. Lumia 1020 will be a hit. But its still a previous generation device with an amazing camera. A different league.

If nokia plan to launch Lumia 920 successor (its upcoming flagship device). It needs to have the following features / technical specification in order to succeed.

1) Graphene casing in order to compete with next generation iPhone
2) Min 20 MP camera with OIS and a bigger sensor than Lumia 920 without affecting the thickness afterall Xperia i1 did it.
3) Quad Core SD800 processor with 2GB RAM
4) >= 5 Inch screen with 1080P display, AMOLED with PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack display.
5) 64GB RAM since big camera consumes more space
6) Stereo speakers.

Please share your openion on this
1Graphene is really over kill.
2 920 still hold itself pretty well against 12mp phones
3 quad core, ok, yes, we should really do some intensive stuff considering MS is merging all OS to 1.
4 5" is for another series, at least not the 9XX. Others are pretty much existing specs.
5 Thats not RAM. I dont think you want ram to be your storage unit.
6 Stereo or not is fine, not like tiny you will enjoy that pair of tiny speakers anyways. But the volume really needs to be louder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea