MS Store Lumia 1020 Pre-orders

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just called the Scottsdale, AZ store. The person I talked to said they won't honor the online pre-order deal with a free camera grip.

Yeah I don't think they were doing the $50 gift card promo either. I was never offered one when I got mine yesterday. (I was able to walk in and get one an hour after they opened with no Preorder, though I attempted to preorder the day before yeah I know I was late to the party)

I went to the store in Houston and got my phone, but the manager refused to give me the free camera grip, or other promotions mentioned in this thread because she claimed it was only for customers signing a new contract. I was buying the phone outright and didn't want a contract, so they acted as if all the aforementioned promotions didn't apply to me. So I ended up getting $50 off of the camera grip. Overall dissapointed in the Houston Galleria M$ store and will likely not be shopping there again.

The phone however is awesome though. Much lighter and better screen than the 920.

That sucks. I was buying my 1020 outrights as well. They offered and handed me the free camera grip. I was not offered the $50 that others have mentioned here. Heck I didn't know about that till I read this thread.

I went to the Scottsdale AZ Microsoft Store.

Last edited:

myokeeh

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I don't think they were doing the $50 gift card promo either. I was never offered one when I got mine yesterday. (I was able to walk in and get one an hour after they opened with no Preorder, though I attempted to preorder the day before yeah I know I was late to the party)

After talking to the manager, it seems, they aren't the most informed bunch. Initially told me he would give the $50 and $10 gift cards, but he called to clarify. He was told the other MS stores never should have done it. Ended up walking away.

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
After talking to the manager, it seems, they aren't the most informed bunch. Initially told me he would give the $50 and $10 gift cards, but he called to clarify. He was told the other MS stores never should have done it. Ended up walking away.

Gotcha. Makes sense why maybe they were not offering t. I have never had a problem with the Scottsdale AZ store. They have always been awesome there. They made the whole purchase process pretty dang easy for me yesterday. $50 would have been nice (I had $643 on a MS gift card already, and the extra $50 would have made that extra I had to pay much less). Oh well.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I went to the store in Houston and got my phone, but the manager refused to give me the free camera grip, or other promotions mentioned in this thread because she claimed it was only for customers signing a new contract. I was buying the phone outright and didn't want a contract, so they acted as if all the aforementioned promotions didn't apply to me. So I ended up getting $50 off of the camera grip. Overall dissapointed in the Houston Galleria M$ store and will likely not be shopping there again.

The phone however is awesome though. Much lighter and better screen than the 920.

The $50 Microsoft Store Gift Card offer is described online (it's under the individual store web sites, here's my local store, for example: Microsoft Store Locations

Buy a Windows Phone 8, Get a $50 Microsoft Store Gift Card
With a qualifying two year contract

Visit your local Microsoft store.
Buy a Windows Phone 8 and receive a $50 Microsoft Store gift card to use towards a future purchase.
Requires a qualifying (new or upgraded) contract completed at the Microsoft store.
See a store associate for more detail.

Valid July 19, 2013 until September 29, 2013, or while supplies last. Available in Microsoft retail and online stores in US (including Puerto Rico). Customers must purchase a Windows 8 mobile Phone with a qualifying new or renewal contract or upgrade (2 years in US) to qualify for offer. Excludes mobile hot spots and no- contract phones/devices. Not valid on prior orders or purchases; cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed. Not combinable with other offers. Limit 1 Microsoft store gift card per phone purchased, up to 5 phones per customer.

bkydcmpr

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Canceled my pre-order last night and went to MS Store in Schaumburg, IL today, got the phone with free camera grip, but no $50 gift card, they said I could choose one of these 2 but not both. They did give me $10 app store coupon though.

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The $50 Microsoft Store Gift Card offer is described online (it's under the individual store web sites, here's my local store, for example: Microsoft Store Locations

Buy a Windows Phone 8, Get a $50 Microsoft Store Gift Card
With a qualifying two year contract

Visit your local Microsoft store.
Buy a Windows Phone 8 and receive a $50 Microsoft Store gift card to use towards a future purchase.
Requires a qualifying (new or upgraded) contract completed at the Microsoft store.
See a store associate for more detail.

Valid July 19, 2013 until September 29, 2013, or while supplies last. Available in Microsoft retail and online stores in US (including Puerto Rico). Customers must purchase a Windows 8 mobile Phone with a qualifying new or renewal contract or upgrade (2 years in US) to qualify for offer. Excludes mobile hot spots and no- contract phones/devices. Not valid on prior orders or purchases; cannot be transferred or otherwise redeemed. Not combinable with other offers. Limit 1 Microsoft store gift card per phone purchased, up to 5 phones per customer.

Well I did buy it outright so maybe that's why it wasn't offered to me.

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Canceled my pre-order last night and went to MS Store in Schaumburg, IL today, got the phone with free camera grip, but no $50 gift card, they said I could choose one of these 2 but not both. They did give me $10 app store coupon though.

that's where I SHOULD have gone today....

TheGeekNextDoor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you suppose they do yet another check on your line again before they ship it out? They already have the carrier approval. Would be funny as all if they ship it out anyway. I went to the store and got the phone/grip/$10 app card today. I just couldn't wait any longer...ADD/OCD combo is pretty bad. The store didn't even seem to know anything about the $50 gift card. Wasn't going to push it since they offered me the $10 card. I haven't cancelled my online order yet. I'm going to leave it until it becomes a problem for them. If anything, maybe I'll end up with another phone for $300 with a free camera grip. At this point, I really want Complexity to suffer in some fashion for screwing this whole thing up so bad.

All I will say is that activating phones in the store is something they don't appear to do a lot of. They are slow and staring at their little Surface Pro that is marked for being the Mobile Activation Device. The only problem is that it couldn't print to the printer, so they were "sneaker-netting" files around via USB key...crazy.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Do you suppose they do yet another check on your line again before they ship it out? They already have the carrier approval. Would be funny as all if they ship it out anyway. I went to the store and got the phone/grip/$10 app card today. I just couldn't wait any longer...ADD/OCD combo is pretty bad. The store didn't even seem to know anything about the $50 gift card. Wasn't going to push it since they offered me the $10 card. I haven't cancelled my online order yet. I'm going to leave it until it becomes a problem for them. If anything, maybe I'll end up with another phone for $300 with a free camera grip. At this point, I really want Complexity to suffer in some fashion for screwing this whole thing up so bad.

All I will say is that activating phones in the store is something they don't appear to do a lot of. They are slow and staring at their little Surface Pro that is marked for being the Mobile Activation Device. The only problem is that it couldn't print to the printer, so they were "sneaker-netting" files around via USB key...crazy.

I'm guessing that they do an initial check with your carrier to verify your eligibility for the upgrade/new activation, and then once they actually ship out the phone to you, they go ahead and actually process the upgrade/activation so that its ready for you as it reaches your front door. This allows them to keep your current phone active up until the point it gets to you.

And yes, as I went through the upgrade process, they store associates were very helpful and knowledgeable, but it doesn't appear like they do too many phone activations there in the store. Or maybe they aren't all trained on how to do it. It took some time as she figured it out, and there were even some times she got up and had this concerned look on her face as if she did something bad. Thankfully, I know these systems like the back of my hand so I was able to help her figure it out when she got a bit lost.

After reading all the replies, I'm definitely glad I cancelled early on and ran over to the MS Store before they all sent memos to each other and decided that it was camera grip or $50 gift card, not both. I'm happy with the awesome phone, free camera grip, and the paid wireless charging case. Threw the remainder of the gift card onto the price of the phone.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So glad that I went into the Microsoft Store at Beachwood Mall in Cleveland, OH yesterday! What a great experience!

I got to the mall about 20 minutes before opening, so the staff was just setting up their signs, but they took a moment to talk to me and ask what I wanted so that they could get it and be ready as soon as the store opened. By 10:00, there was a LINE of about 15 people just waiting to come in... and all of them in that first 30 minutes also purchased a Lumia 1020.

When the sales guy was ready for me at 10:00, we started talking about how I work in IT and was well informed on the offers and process. I cancelled my online order while he was ringing me up. I asked how the interest was, and he said AT&T store in the mall completely sold out and that MSFT store had sold over 200 on launch day (and were clearly still going strong on day 2).

In the end, I got all the promotions... camera grip, $50 gift card for contract, $10 WP store coupon for contract, and $25 for Bing Challenge. They were sold out on the wireless charging shells, but it was fine... I've already pre-ordered one from Amazon, so hopefully that ships soon.

So for anyone else still waiting... if you have a store near you, it's well worth your effort to go in and cancel the online order. Otherwise, I hope for the best that your orders will ship as soon as possible.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear some of the others had issues at the stores. The store on Austin has been nothing but an absolute joy to visit and they will get my business anytime I can send it their way.

The manager seems to want the sales floor to enjoy being there and to understand the product. They also have the Apple store blocks away to keep them on target. I had a couple of rough experiences with the Apple store, accusations that I somehow fried a day old iPhone and problems with activating its replacement.

So, Austin is a tourist destination these days, come get your phones here...

p.s. I have started a new page in this thread on the app for each one of my posts in it. Do I get a prize?

AllanUSC

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm one of the few on this thread still waiting for my Lumia 1020. I placed my order on 7/21 but I noticed that even people that ordered earlier haven't gotten phones either.

Has ANYONE that ordered the phone from the MS online store had their order shipped?

I also read the related offer on the MS Store site. As has been previously mentioned, the fine print reads, in part:

"Valid July 19, 2013 until September 29, 2013, or while supplies last. Available in Microsoft retail *** and online stores *** in US (including Puerto Rico). Customers must purchase a Windows 8 mobile Phone with a qualifying new or renewal contract or upgrade (2 years in US) to qualify for offer."

Note that it says "AND ONLINE STORES." Does this mean that all of us that pre-ordered online will get the $50 gift card too??

If so, that would make this intolerable wait ALMOST worth it.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Where are you seeing it the promotion? So far nothing from the Simplexity, I am guessing they won't receive shipment until Monday.

moirane

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Same thing for me at Danbury CT store. They were so friendly an helpful though it was totally worth it. So glad I canceled from online store.

AllanUSC

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
To see the $50 gift card offer, go to your local store's website and click on the link below "Save with these deals." Here's an example:

https://content.microsoftstore.com/en-us/offers/pentagoncity#offer-phone-50gc

The offer is titled "Buy a Windows Phone 8, Get a $50 Microsoft Store Gift Card With a qualifying two year contract," looks pretty straight forward. I can't see how online orders would not qualify. It's not even tied to any specific phone.

As a matter of fact, the way it reads, those people that got the Lumia 1020 at a store and got the free camera grip, should have gotten the $50 gift card too if they signed up for a 2-year contract.

Where are you seeing it the promotion? So far nothing from the Simplexity, I am guessing they won't receive shipment until Monday.

TemjinC

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
To see the $50 gift card offer, go to your local store's website and click on the link below "Save with these deals." Here's an example:

https://content.microsoftstore.com/en-us/offers/pentagoncity#offer-phone-50gc

The offer is titled "Buy a Windows Phone 8, Get a $50 Microsoft Store Gift Card With a qualifying two year contract," looks pretty straight forward. I can't see how online orders would not qualify. It's not even tied to any specific phone.

As a matter of fact, the way it reads, those people that got the Lumia 1020 at a store and got the free camera grip, should have gotten the $50 gift card too if they signed up for a 2-year contract.

Ya, well it does say "Not combinable with other offers. Limit 1 Microsoft store gift card per phone purchased, up to 5 phones per customer."

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So, I got the $50 gift card but not the $25 Bing Challenge nor the $10 App Store credit.
I thought I had received the $10 app credit, but do not know how to activate it. I also thought the $25 Bing Challenge was over.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I got the $50 gift card but not the $25 Bing Challenge nor the $10 App Store credit.
I thought I had received the $10 app credit, but do not know how to activate it. I also thought the $25 Bing Challenge was over.

They still can do the Bing Challenge whenever the store wants, its just not being heavily advertised like it used to be.

Also, the $10 was in the form of a card that had a redeemable code on it. You redeem the code on your phone to get the $10 credit. If you didn't get the card, well then you didn't get the credit. lol

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing on status yet, I will just wait. Will use the $59 bucks I will save on the tax to buy wireless charging shell

Save $59 on tax - holy high tax rates, Batman! So...do you live in NY or CA?

I also find the discussion of "drive an hour" or "drive two hours" to get to a Microsoft Store somewhat amusing. I used to live in Napa, CA., and it would take an hour just to get to San Fran, which I could practically see out my second story window at home...traffic bytes...now I live in Magic Kingdom's backyard (FL) and it feels like it takes 45 minutes to get to Disney LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99