Two Lumia's with the Same Microsoft Account

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully I can explain this in a quick and easy manner. My co-worker recently bought two Lumia 920's for himself and his wife. For some reason (known only to him), he set them both up with the same Microsoft account. Needless to say, that has resulted in numerous issues such as the Rooms feature not working between them and one phone getting app updates and the other not. He is going to do a hard reset on the wife's phone and use a separate account now but he is wondering if there will be any lingering affects of what he did and if both phones will now work correctly and each get all the same updates? Are there any other possible post-reset issues he needs to be aware of? Also, is there anyway to manually tell the phone to look for APP updates (not OS)?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine there being any issues. It will have a completely separate ID associated with the device.

The Store automatically checks for updates daily. Mine show up shortly after 7 pm. Unless you find an app in the store that you know has an update, you have to wait for the tile to notify you it's available.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
No issues as stated above. Store purchases made previously will not show up on his wife's phone. Purchases are tied to the Microsoft account.

RafRol

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Out if curiosity, how many Lumias does it show on windowsphone.com? I would log onto windowsphone.com and delete the Lumia he's not using.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
you see i own two phones (the Lumia 920 and the Lumia 720) and i use the same MS account
What i found out is that you'll share Email & messages (which is bad since even text messages will be shared (though it can be disabled on one of them)

You'll share a calendar and the contacts list.
you'll not enjoy social media built in the device (one of them won't for sure its the wife)

Updates are pushed separately and having the same account doesn't matter , what matters is you go to Windowsphone.com and set up the other lumia give it the number of the wife so it would be traced seperately.

Another cool thing about joint accounts , Bought apps can be downloaded for free on the other phone:)

johnny77777

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I've got 2 Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices set up with the same Microsoft account and I only get pushed Windows Phone Store updates to the original phone, I get no alerts or download option from the Windows Phone Store live tile of the second Lumia.

I have to search for the app from the second phone for me to see that there's an update available.

Anyone have ideas or I'd this as designed?

Walter Houdini

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I have two Microsoft accounts but one phone and i made the mistake of backing up my contacts on one and did my other major backup on the other. i mistakenly hard-reset my phone n now, i dont have my full contacts backup....any help?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss