Lumia 920 battery sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardismatrix22

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I got a 920 about 8 months ago, same time as a friend of mine got an android. His android battery outlives my L920 by 4-5 hours. I'm not even sure how. Is there anything I can do to improve battery life?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I got a 920 about 8 months ago, same time as a friend of mine got an android. His android battery outlives my L920 by 4-5 hours. I'm not even sure how. Is there anything I can do to improve battery life?
What do you do with your phone in a normal day? How many apps do you have that run 24/7 in the background? What kind of net speed do you have and on what carrier? How many email accounts are you monitoring? Do you have NFC enabled? Do you have sensitive touch enabled. Is your phone used mostly for games?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

A sweeping "920 battery sucks" isnt really a good start, and whilst its tempting to compare batterys with other platforms and users, it may not be a fair comparison.

Ie, do you play alot of games and he does not. Do you use max brightness and he does not, is your signal worse than his etc. Different people use phones differently.

A few things that can help battery life.

Turn off back ground tasks for apps you dont use alot.

Turn off wifi searching

Turn off nfc and bBluetooth

Check to see if yyouare getting massive battery drain on certain apps. i find Facebook trashes my battery for eg.

DDon'tlet your battery die. Try and keep it at a min of 40%.

Try a reset.

Turn brightness down.

Turn off 4g unless you specifically use it for 4g, as that uses lots of juice.

Turn off auto change of wallpaper.

These should all help. I had bad battery life untill i did a reset. Some days my battery dies quick, others it lasts forever. Its mainly use and apps that have the most impact.

tardismatrix22

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I use my phone very little now, I moniter hotmail, refreshes daily, and Gmail, refreshed manually. I play a game for about 20 minutes, the usual Facebook check, and daily wpcentral check. Beyond that nothing. Battery is really bad now. I charge overnight, and every once and a while discharge the battery completely for calibration. No background tasks, when not charging its in power saver mode. I'm on att. I heard LTE drains it faster, but that doesn't change anything. I turn off Bluetooth,NFC, and WiFi when not in use. Anything else?

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone very little now, I moniter hotmail, refreshes daily, and Gmail, refreshed manually. I play a game for about 20 minutes, the usual Facebook check, and daily wpcentral check. Beyond that nothing. Battery is really bad now. I charge overnight, and every once and a while discharge the battery completely for calibration. No background tasks, when not charging its in power saver mode. I'm on att. I heard LTE drains it faster, but that doesn't change anything. I turn off Bluetooth,NFC, and WiFi when not in use. Anything else?

Top Right corner starts cooking too? I'm going through same thing I get like 3hrs battery with all services off, I turned off everything possible and no live tiles going.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Top Right corner starts cooking too? I'm going through same thing I get like 3hrs battery with all services off, I turned off everything possible and no live tiles going.

3 hours??! Wow that's really bad...there has to be an app stuck in running processes eating at the battery to cause that excessive drainage.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope only wpcentral, YouTube, fhotoroom, photosynth, grin are all apps I have on here except core. Took off Nokia Drive and all. All I know is that top right corner I can fry an egg on it I bet....when that happens the drainage starts

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You could shut off sorts of components of your phone... or you could just use the Lumia Pusher app in store to link to the Nokia Access Point app... then switch your APN profile to a more appropriate profile for your area...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Nope only wpcentral, YouTube, fhotoroom, photosynth, grin are all apps I have on here except core. Took off Nokia Drive and all. All I know is that top right corner I can fry an egg on it I bet....when that happens the drainage starts

Do you find yyour signal weak mostly or a bouncing/intermittent data connection (constantly swapping between 3g/4g/lte)? This would also chew the battery resources excessively. There can be a lot of factors at play, and I know its not easy to narrow down. It took me months before I was able to get things inline with what I consider acceptable. But I experienced similar issues with my previous GS3....eventually got that inline after 3 months.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
##3282

When you dial that does it bring up the field test? If so check your lte/3g connections...monitor them for a bit. My buddies phone was dying frequently due to poor reception and lack of available cells which would eat your battery too.

Again, there's a lot that can be going on...everyones situation can literally be different. Location on? Xbox gaming synced? Xbox music connection to cloud? Check the thread tagged at the top, a lot of us discussing battery inconsistency...you may find some useful tips.

ajeesh yacob

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
uninstal any shortcut apps that u ve installed .. turn off use my location.. turn off internet sharing,tap+send,findmyphone,feedback,
charge battery to 100% always n only charge wen battery s down, continue this for two weeks.. u ll get minimun of 18 hours.. these battery r made lik this , they power up after some usage

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
##3282

When you dial that does it bring up the field test? If so check your lte/3g connections...monitor them for a bit. My buddies phone was dying frequently due to poor reception and lack of available cells which would eat your battery too.

Again, there's a lot that can be going on...everyones situation can literally be different. Location on? Xbox gaming synced? Xbox music connection to cloud? Check the thread tagged at the top, a lot of us discussing battery inconsistency...you may find some useful tips.

Field Test no longer works with update. And as I said I have everything off no options except WiFi at home, I have no live tiles, only thing left is to shut the phone off lol....guess I need to wait weeks like you said its 7 days old as of today Sunday. Will report back after a week. I read GDR2 is coming7/22 I hope there is a battery fix in there

Nakazul

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you find yyour signal weak mostly or a bouncing/intermittent data connection (constantly swapping between 3g/4g/lte)? This would also chew the battery resources excessively. There can be a lot of factors at play, and I know its not easy to narrow down. It took me months before I was able to get things inline with what I consider acceptable. But I experienced similar issues with my previous GS3....eventually got that inline after 3 months.
I turned on flightmode and used only WiFi with everything else of. If you are doing many things at once. Skype/surfing/chattonmessenger it will get crazy hot and drain your battery even if it was 100% and pluggd in to the wall (I own several chargers) when you started. Gaming Chaos & Order kills a pluggd phone in approximately 30 min. This is a serius Nokia issue.

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Let the battery completely drain...then keep switching on until it can no longer vibrate. Now charge for 10-12 hours straight, uninterrupted! Do this more than once if possible - like the day after.

This worked for me. The battery needs to be conditioned, you have to let it know it's full capacity, so to speak, lol!

sakahn

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Wifi On
3 Background apps
2 Emails synced every 15 mins
Little bit of browsing

Battery lasts for around 36 hours. Fairly consistent for the last 7 months or so. 3 hrs is really bad. You should try a soft reset, and it does not work then try the hard reset.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Wifi On
3 Background apps
Little bit of browsing

Battery lasts for around 36 hours. Fairly consistent for the last 7 months or so. 3 hrs is really bad. You should try a soft reset, and it does not work then try the hard reset.

I can't get the buttons to work for a hard reset....a soft reset is when I got to about and reset phone right?

Divjot Singh

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Wifi On
3 Background apps
Little bit of browsing

Wow 36 hours? Do you do any of following ?
1) Use whatsapp for 1hr+
2) Watch youtube videos for at least 10 minutes
3) Spend 1/2hr or so on apps like 9gag etc
4) Visit facebook multiple times in every two hours or so
5) Browse web for say 1-2 hr

I do all of above (well my vacations are on :p ) , and mine lasts only for 12-16 hours. And if i use whatsapp a lot , it can go down to 6 hour (that's the minimum I have faced)

However if I don't do anything related to web then it can actually last for 2 days here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss