Is my lumia 820 battery drain normal

ryanr1987

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Everything off apart from wifi 6 hours later 100 to 60% overnight checked 6 hours later

airplane mode 100-97% checked 7 hours over night

When in use I can kill the battery in 3-4rs hours using the internet.

What the hell is going on?

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd try factory reset, but before I'd recalibrate the battery, just to make sure that this isn't the thing that's causing problems. Drain the battery completely, then leave it for charge a few hours more after it has finished charging. That would maybe solve the problem, otherwise it could be another problem with the radios, because you stated that in airplane mode goes only 3% of the battery. Try reducing the refresh rates for your accounts and kill some background processes in the settings.

ryanr1987

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
did a reset, no change; I have noticed my signal is always dropping and never gets over two bars! could there be a fault in the phone?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Poor signal strength drains the battery a lot. Especially if the phone is constantly searching for a better signal.

if I don't use my 920 in an EDGE area, my battery drain goes down to 1% per hour. Once you start using the phone heavily, the battery drain WILL start to increase.

The more you use the phone, the faster the battery will drain. This does not take away from the fact that there IS a current problem with WP8 where processes are stuck in the background and causes the battery to continuously drain. This Is why it's always recommended when you are receiving abnormal battery drain to do a soft reset on the phone

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I've got a similar issue with battery drain on firmware version 1232.5957.1308.0003. The previous version wasn't as bad as this version. I have to leave data and Wifi off most of the time just to get through the day.:cry:

I'm hoping that the next version of firmware will fix this issue.:smile:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
No, thats not normal.

Maybe some app is drain your battery. Do you have any Google app installed? Like a Gmaps or something? These app is the king of battery drain. Same for Here apps.

Last edited:

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
First off try blocking some BG tasks. I have 3 apps working in the back MAX.(weather/battery%/WPCentral). Turn off NFC my battery never got hot after that.
Poor signal means your phone is constantly searching and drains battery most, and sadly the Lumias don't deal with that well.

And finally...turn off autoupload to SkyDrive before your Other Storage racks up to no return. My gfs 820 is rendered useless after 2 months with not many apps installed and media stored in SD.

tooobs

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Strange thing happened with my phone. Battery drained in one night from about 3/4 charged to almost zero. An hour later it had shut down. Didn't have charger with me. Restarted. Battery indicator back at about 3/4charged and still on same charge now, 36hrs later (since that restart).
So it seems that phone mistakenly saw the battery as empty and even shut down.
This happened once before (battery draining in one night) but then i assumed it was because I left GPS active.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Strange thing happened with my phone. Battery drained in one night from about 3/4 charged to almost zero. An hour later it had shut down. Didn't have charger with me. Restarted. Battery indicator back at about 3/4charged and still on same charge now, 36hrs later (since that restart).
So it seems that phone mistakenly saw the battery as empty and even shut down.
This happened once before (battery draining in one night) but then i assumed it was because I left GPS active.

Lumias have a strange calibration system with battery. When you are using Drive or apps that consume battery, status will show you have how many hours left with those apps active. Say 4hrs. When you shut them down completely the remaining hours will jump back to 10 after a while. Might have calculated you had 0 hours remaining with the active apps. Not sure. Similar exp I had was when my battery % (not hrs remaining) jumped up about 10% after closing a certain app (forgot which).
IE: when it was 45%, it jumped to 55% without any sort of charging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa