Nokia Lumia 928 screen cracked! Looking for any advice...

Christian Nunes

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I had recently purchased my nokia lumia 928 and had it for about 2-3 weeks. I dropped it for the first time on asphalt and it had cracked. I had it on my lap and as i climbed out of the car, the phone fell and a corner of the screen cracked. Is there any way I can find a glass replacement only, but not the super amoled screen itself? the glass and screen are both $200.00 together. But I'm only looking for the glass. any advice? :unhappysweat:

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I am not certain on the specifics of the 928 but almost all modern phones the digitizer and glass are molded to the LCD/AMOLED screen. I would guess you would have a very hard separating the two even if you could find a replacement. Does your carrier offer any type of insurance?

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not certain on the specifics of the 928 but almost all modern phones the digitizer and glass are molded to the LCD/AMOLED screen. I would guess you would have a very hard separating the two even if you could find a replacement. Does your carrier offer any type of insurance?

You are correct the glass and amoled panel are glued together.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep, the digitizer (screen) and LCD are one piece. You will see lots of videos of people heating various digitizers to remove just the outer glass. I do not recommend doing that. You are putting heat to the LCD which is not good; there is a chance of damaging the LCD during the removal of the digitizer; and there may be damage to the LCD that hasn't manifested yet.

It is a more costly repair to replace the whole touchscreen assembly, but a safer repair in the long run. I know $200 (not including labor) is a lot, but it is cheaper than $400-$500 to buy another one.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I have replaced many cracked screens. The most recent was my Lumia 920. Not too bad to separate the glass digitizer from the LCD panel. Not sure how the 928 is, but the 920 just requires a bit of heat (you could also use no heat. but then you need more force and pry tools). There is a Youtube video for the whole 920 take apart. Unless there is one for the 928, I would advise against fixing it yourself. I am guessing one is not available yet.

The best advice I can give would be to list you cracked screen phone on ebay and hope to get around $250 for it. Then bite the bullet and buy another one. If you get a used (but still great condition one), that will run you 350-400. So your looking at a hit to your wallet of 100-150 for a working 928. Fixing the thing would cost at least $200. You gotta buy the digitizer (if it is even available yet, and it would be more if you can just buy the glass and have to get the screen attached to it too). Then the torx screw drivers, pry tools, and the adhesive to glue the glass to the screen for replacement.

Good luck.

alibabajuvenacca

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
In the uk nokia offers a repair service, I'm not sure about the US, through the nokia website. They usually pick it up next day and have it fixed and returned to you within a week! For a fee of course since it was accidental damage

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you are within 30 days you can call verizon and add insurance.

** IF ** you have not told them about the screen yet, and your within your 30 days you can add the insurance. I would wait a few days after adding it before calling the insurance company. Keep in mind that you will have to just pay the $100 deductable for a replacement one..

Michael_XW

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have replaced many cracked screens. The most recent was my Lumia 920. Not too bad to separate the glass digitizer from the LCD panel. Not sure how the 928 is, but the 920 just requires a bit of heat (you could also use no heat. but then you need more force and pry tools). There is a Youtube video for the whole 920 take apart. Unless there is one for the 928, I would advise against fixing it yourself. I am guessing one is not available yet.

I think that's a great idea!

The best advice I can give would be to list you cracked screen phone on ebay and hope to get around $250 for it. Then bite the bullet and buy another one. If you get a used (but still great condition one), that will run you 350-400. So your looking at a hit to your wallet of 100-150 for a working 928. Fixing the thing would cost at least $200. You gotta buy the digitizer (if it is even available yet, and it would be more if you can just buy the glass and have to get the screen attached to it too). Then the torx screw drivers, pry tools, and the adhesive to glue the glass to the screen for replacement.

Good luck.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
** IF ** you have not told them about the screen yet, and your within your 30 days you can add the insurance. I would wait a few days after adding it before calling the insurance company. Keep in mind that you will have to just pay the $100 deductable for a replacement one..

There is a technical name for this. Insurance Fraud. It is a crime.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you are in the Seattle area, check out igsm wireless solutions.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Do a Bing search for local businesses in your area that repair cellphones. I had that happen to me when I had my HTC 8x, the screen cracked but the digitizer was fine. Got lucky and a repair business was only a couple miles from me. Cost me $150 to have them replace the screen.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The reason that the screen replacements are so much for the 928 vs most others is because you can't get the digitizer (the part most frequently broken) separate from the display. They are fused together, so they are sold together, unlike most phones, where you can replace the digitizer by itself (this, I've done).

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think Gorilla Glass is a joke.
My HTC 8x screen is cracked to crap and my wife just cracked my 928 screen.

JJ

Glass on a cell phone is a joke, that apple started, I cracked the lumia 720 and the 928.
I would rather have a scratched screen than shattered screen. Anyhow everyone uses a screen protector to protect from scratches why do we need glass screens?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs