Unlocked Lumia 920 nightmare (please help?)

Michael Kerametlian

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Good afternoon folks,

I've had my Lumia 920 for months and have made due lacking some important aspects of a phone such as:

1) Not being able to RECEIVE MMS texts, but can send.
2) Not being able to send group texts.
3) Internet sharing.

I've unlocked the phone and am currently using it on Videotron's network in Montreal.
I've added the necessary Internet and mms APN settings, but I still can't get those three to work whatsoever...

Can anybody help me?
-Mike

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
First off all, all 3 issues mentioned above works great on my 920. To fix issues i would suggest you to download Nokia Access Point from this link:
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=ce3895c7-01d0-4daf-a4c3-25c10463942d

Check if it actually shows your carrier in the list, if it does not then create one manually.
Set the internet APN as: media.videotron

Set the MMS APN as: media.videotron
MMSC: http://media.videotron.com
MMS Proxy : 10.208.89.17
MMS Port : 8080

Save the APN, select it, send MMS to yourself to test MMS

Michael Kerametlian

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have access point and it does show Videotron and everything looks perfect on paper but they don't work.

Could you post screenshots so I can compare? I really would love to get these working.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

Keegan Pinto

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey man, I'm using an unlocked 920 on Bell right now. The LTE is disabled because bell doesn't support the LTE bands that the 920 does. Its well within the realm of possibility that Videotron's network doesn't support the phone in that way? I'm not entirely sure.

For the MMS part, I had the same issue on my old 8X. Delete your threads and restart the phone. When you have a lot of texts, the phone stops receiving pictures because they take up too much space and it tries to save all of your messages.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah try turning off LTE, i currently have issues with MMS when turning on LTE on my unlocked Rogers 920 on T-Mobile US

Michael Kerametlian

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
That's just it, I have LTE turned off and have it set to 3G instead in my cellular settings...
I tried deleting all my threads because they had piled up over the past 6 months I've had it, restarted the phone and didn't resolve it.

I mean...the only thing I can think of is making a new listing Under access point? But I don't see how that would help.
Should I maybe try deleting my internet and mms APN lists Under cellular and just stick with access point? I'm pretty sure I've done that in the past also.

This is just upsetting in all honesty and I'm really considering picking up the 1020 if Google doesn't announce some awesome phone on Wednesday, but it's upsetting going through all this garbage.
Although, Vid?otron did sign a contract for 20 years to share Rogers' LTE connection as of (I BELIEVE) Jan 1st 2014? That could be a changer, but I don't see why it would have anything to do with MMS texts >_>

Anybody else have any suggestions?
Nokia support couldn't figure it out and those French **itheads at Vid?otron are clueless and wouldn't help me probably because I'm English-speaking...
-Mike

backfat1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this will help you out, but recently went through the same problem with an unlocked HTC 8x on Net10 (using AT&T's network) in the US. I had the same issues that you did, couldn't figure out how to get it working even with the correct APN settings loaded in. However, I installed the app Handcent and the native messaging started working. Once again, not sure what exactly this did but now I'm good with data, MMS and SMS.

Michael Kerametlian

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Doesn`t look like that helped but thanks for the suggestion.
I registered to Handcent also just to be certain, but how exactly did it work? Did you add people to your friends list or did it just start working right after the install?

backfat1

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
All I did was download the app, register for an account and link my number to the account itself (I think they call it number binding). I don't even use the Handcent app to text, send MMS - right after I installed the app I could get MMS messages in the native messaging component since previously I had only been able to send them.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Michael - I have an unlocked Lumia 920 and to get the mms working, I had to delete the manual settings I put into the internet sharing app before I installed the access point app. Deleted the settings, rebooted and ran access point and all was fine after that. Give that a try and see if it works. It was suggested in another thread that without the full reboot, the access point app may not configure things correctly.

Hope it helps.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes - the access point app should give you the correct settings, as long as you select the right carrier. If you still find the MMS isn't working, you can input its settings manually in the cellular settings app.

Last edited:

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but have you considered factory reset the phone? One more question, you said you have your phone unlocked, does that mean you bought your phone from different carrier? Are you sure that your 920 model support your carrier frequency band?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb