Unlocked 925 on tmobile prepaid

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Can we buy this phone, use for some 1-2 months and then use it for At&T.. I want to do this because am not sure if TMO network in my office. I have seen many complaining they cant get proper network.. So if its same for me, can i use ATT on lumia 925 ?
You should be able to. You'll have to pay for the phone outright when you end your T-Mobile service (if you haven't paid for it already). The radios are the same, so you should be good to go with AT&T after an unlock. You won't have WiFi calling, though, as that is linked to T-Mobile.

colonelcasey322

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
EU variants of the Nokia 925 won't work very well on the T-Mo US network. They don't support 1700/2100 AWS so you'll have no LTE/4G and will only have limited access to 3G in areas with refarmed 1900.

Manoj1551

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to. You'll have to pay for the phone outright when you end your T-Mobile service (if you haven't paid for it already). The radios are the same, so you should be good to go with AT&T after an unlock. You won't have WiFi calling, though, as that is linked to T-Mobile.

Thanks for the reply. When you say WIFI calling is not possible, you mean i wont be able to do skype or Viber calls ?

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Actually the AWS bands that exist on the L925 aren't used on AT&T. If you have an AT&T branded phone like I did before, and bring it over to T-Mobile you'll fine so long as the area you are in has been reframed if not then you'll be stuck on Edge. In reverse if you bring a T-Mobile branded phone with AWS bands you'll be stuck on Edge if you go to AT&T.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually the AWS bands that exist on the L925 aren't used on AT&T. If you have an AT&T branded phone like I did before, and bring it over to T-Mobile you'll fine so long as the area you are in has been reframed if not then you'll be stuck on Edge. In reverse if you bring a T-Mobile branded phone with AWS bands you'll be stuck on Edge if you go to AT&T.
Not entirely correct. With recent announced T-Mobile USA phones, i can see most of the t-mobile's phones support AT&T's 3G bands. LTE is different story. For some reason, i find T-Mobile's phones more attractive to me (Lumia 925 is one example) so i really want to know if the specs posted by Nokia USA are correct. Nokia USA shows that 925 will support this "WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 1700 - 2100 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz", so definitely unlocked t-mobile's usa should work on AT&T's 3G bands (AT&T uses 850 and 1900 on WMCDA/3G). Nokia USA also shows "LTE network bands3: 2, 4, 5, 17" for Lumia 925. AT&T uses band 4 and 17 for their LTE network, so 925 should get LTE on AT&T too. I'm tempted to purchase this phone, but t-mobile won't unlock it for me if do not spend 50$ in service and wait 60 days. I do not see any L925 unlockers on ebay either. This would be perfect phone for me on AT&T

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I believe the bands supported by most T-Mobile phones are a proper superset of the bands ATT uses, so while there could be issues taking an ATT branded phone to T-Mo, the opposite will probably work fine.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely correct. With recent announced T-Mobile USA phones, i can see most of the t-mobile's phones support AT&T's 3G bands. LTE is different story. For some reason, i find T-Mobile's phones more attractive to me (Lumia 925 is one example) so i really want to know if the specs posted by Nokia USA are correct. Nokia USA shows that 925 will support this "WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 1700 - 2100 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz", so definitely unlocked t-mobile's usa should work on AT&T's 3G bands (AT&T uses 850 and 1900 on WMCDA/3G). Nokia USA also shows "LTE network bands3: 2, 4, 5, 17" for Lumia 925. AT&T uses band 4 and 17 for their LTE network, so 925 should get LTE on AT&T too. I'm tempted to purchase this phone, but t-mobile won't unlock it for me if do not spend 50$ in service and wait 60 days. I do not see any L925 unlockers on ebay either. This would be perfect phone for me on AT&T
To add to my previous post, since i'm on AT&T and i have only simple voice only prepaid account with T-Mobile USA, the outright price of the L925 is 579.99$. Buying it outright is not entitling me for free unlock from T-Mobile USA. Here is the response of the unlock team:
T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
Sim Unlock Reference: 6XXXXXX
IMEI: 35XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:

1. Account has been active for 60 days
2. Must have $50.01 or more in accumulative refills since activation
3. Must have 7 days of consistent usage of the IMEI being requested by mobile number requesting

Please submit a new SIM Unlock Request once the subscriber has met the Eligibility criteria.

Thank You,
Customer Service
T-Mobile USA, Inc.
The final price would be 579.99$ + 50$ + tax + 60 days wait = Ouch!!!
They are not going to get my money after all ...

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
To add to my previous post, since i'm on AT&T and i have only simple voice only prepaid account with T-Mobile USA, the outright price of the L925 is 579.99$. Buying it outright is not entitling me for free unlock from T-Mobile USA. Here is the response of the unlock team:

The final price would be 579.99$ + 50$ + tax + 60 days wait = Ouch!!!
They are not going to get my money after all ...

Wow, that is a lot of information. sorry, but I am not well versed in all this "unlocking...SIM Card....Bands....etc.", but I am very interested in switching my 925 from Tmobile to ATT. and based on what I am reading in your post, if I make the switch to ATT, I will not be losing out on 3G, 4G, or LTE capability.

But to do this, I need to unlock my phone by contacting Tmobile and getting a new SIM card from ATT. What if I find that the signal is on par or worse and I want to switch back? Do I just reinsert the old Tmobile Sim card and get the services switched back?

I have been a Tmobile customer for 3 years now and recently upgraded to the 925. Does that satisfy the 60 day requirement? or do I have to have the 925 specifically for 60 days?

thanks in advance!

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I am currently using the Lumia 810 on ATT and 3G works fine, you won't have any issues with the Lumia 925. However, I'm not sure about LTE.

Going back to unlocking the Lumia 925. I was going to buy one this week and unlock it for use on ATT but after reading this thread I think I'll pass if need to spend $50 in refills and wait 60 days. Is that a new policy because I had always understood that if you pay full retail for the phone that T-Mobile will unlock it regardless of whether or not you are a customer.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that is a lot of information. sorry, but I am not well versed in all this "unlocking...SIM Card....Bands....etc.", but I am very interested in switching my 925 from Tmobile to ATT. and based on what I am reading in your post, if I make the switch to ATT, I will not be losing out on 3G, 4G, or LTE capability.

But to do this, I need to unlock my phone by contacting Tmobile and getting a new SIM card from ATT. What if I find that the signal is on par or worse and I want to switch back? Do I just reinsert the old Tmobile Sim card and get the services switched back?

I have been a Tmobile customer for 3 years now and recently upgraded to the 925. Does that satisfy the 60 day requirement? or do I have to have the 925 specifically for 60 days?

thanks in advance!
Here is the link of the T-Mobile's policy for sim-unlocks:
http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588
I was confused regarding the 50$ refills and waiting period of 60days, so i've decided to chat with customer support (i forgot to log the conversation) and they have told me that 50$ requirement is accumulative since the day of the opening of the account; the 60days requirement starts counting since the they you've activated the phone you are requesting sim-unlock for and the last one is that you have to have 7 days of usage on the IMEI, so you can't just buy the phone and activate the refills and put it in a drawer without any usage (i guess this is related to people buying the phone for somebody abroad?).

Last edited:

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
From what I can find looking at the specs on the web, the 925 should get both 3G and LTE on AT&T. Though the question is if the specs I saw for the phone were accurate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo